Dream state/Waking state

Minobu

Dream state/Waking state

Post by Minobu »

Fearless Leader "Q"...my fearless leader anyway...only guy who can handle minobu....
anyway...He keeps bringing up this which i will post and I think it is Nichiren Daishonin's words.
This [Lotus] sutra deals with the original mind [of enlightenment] in the waking state. But because living beings are accustomed to thinking in the mental terms appropriate to a dream state, it borrows the language of the dream state in order to teach the waking state of the original mind. However, though the language is that employed in a dream state, the intention behind it is to give instruction in the waking state of the original mind. This is the aim of both the text of the Lotus Sutra itself and of the commentaries on it. If one does not clearly understand this, one will invariably misunderstand the wording of both the sutra and its commentaries.
Finally yesterday this view became part and parcel to my paradigm during practice.

i cannot articulate the impact this finally has had on my person.

But it makes one realize what we are and what we are viewing the world and our so called reality with.

It screams for one to practice and wake the Frigg up...lol...I mean i loathe flaky...especially in this world of mediocrity we are celebrating as a society. Everything is flaky...it drives me bonkers...once i let slide a screw installed incorrectly on a lock i installed...it was ok ...but i would of redid it on my door...
i could not sleep that night...i kept waking up and thinking about that one screw....it really would not make a big difference .or any at all in the scheme of the lock.it was that the hole made was tick large and the screw would not find a hard stop...next day i went back and reinstalled the lock...told the lady i thought about it and i wanted to do it...she looked at me weirdly but grateful....that was forty years ago...and to this day...not one screw has been let slide...the memory jumps out when stuff goes a little off.

so you can well imagine what i am , now that i know i am living in a dream state....I'm DETERMINED !!!......!!!!!!.....!!!!...!!....!

thanks "Q"
in your debt as always.
d
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Dream state/Waking state

Post by Queequeg »

Check out that article by Swanson I linked to in the Shohojissosho thread. Unfortunately, the original document he is referring to has not been translated in whole. However, the dream state/ waking state relates to the difference between provisional and real, trace and original, function and essence.

In a word, if you ignore the essence, the function, while it may be effective as expedient, will not be understood. Take a person and drop them into a situation they've never encountered before, the world around them will look chaotic and unintelligible. Their coping mechanism will be to attempt to organize what they see based on their past experience, which is likely to be completely inapplicable. Hence the way they see the world around them will not coincide with reality, but some projected order. Maybe eventually they'll catch on to what's happening, but it will probably take a while.

We've been tossing through samsara, trying to get a foothold and get our bearings, literally forever. Unfortunately, given the nature of samsara, that approach to trying to get on top of things is permanently bound to fail. There are no toeholds in samsara from which to gain a stable perspective. There is only quicksand.

This is where the Buddha comes to us in our dream state, using the objects we've conjured in the dream state, to point us to awakening. He points out - look, suffering. look, no-self. look, escape. look, the path. Things start to make sense - not in some logical way, but we see the real nature of our experience and how it has always really been. It all looks eerily familiar, and yet unfamiliar. We awaken in ever more subtle manner, until we finally see it as the Buddha sees and we nod in agreement in the treasure tower, extend our tongues to the Brahma heaven, cough and snap our fingers, shaking the world.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Nichiren”