STN 1 :16).
i believe the two holographs are these done in Nichiren Shonin's hand

Fudo Myouou

And

Aizen Myouou

what does
belonging to the twenty-third generation of a
lineage directly descending from Mahavairocana
mean exactly...Is Nichiren Daishonin an emanation of Mahavairocana ?
It makes total sense..
Everything I know of Lotus Buddhism would point to it...

i think one has to hit the drawing board fresh...drop all that we learned and especially old bias.
Minobu

Re: Who is Nichiren Shonin/really

Post by Minobu »

To be honest here....when i first encountered this Teaching i always thought the Odaimoku to be like the power of the universe...the universal law from which all phenomenon can trace somehow it's origins...the whole nuts and bolts of that i just never considered and let that to the Master Philosophers.

the Gohonzon was some Asian thing . something "Their " culture produced instead of Christ on the Cross and the Bible.

Some highly advanced means of getting in touch with power aspects of your being...empowering yourself with all the hidden treasure powers within...

As per Nichiren...the original buddha thing sort of winced inside me...anytime it came up i would shut down inside and turn off what was being said or read...

To me Nichiren was like the guy who knew and came and was born at the right time at the right place in order to bring the Teaching that helps everyone...Also had the fortitude to survive all the hell that occurs which is flung at Him so it doesn't happen...

so all this intellectual talk has always been on the back burner for me for i always had a "FEEL" for what it is all about...

This knowledge (OP) i came across a while back at the Gohonzon Shu and downloaded those holographs almost two years ago...i read and reread the stuff that came with it on the Gohonzon Shu ..and this piece just stuck out for me today...it makes sense...

or maybe Nichiren like He said had a vision and conversed on some Mystic level with Mahavairocana ...some new agers would say He channelled Mahavairocana..what ever....
It's not important for me...the "FEELING" is there and it is a great thing...to be able to "FEEL" around This Teaching and practice it with all the Heavies ..or the High Command as i like to say colloquially
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Minobu wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 pm what does
belonging to the twenty-third generation of a
lineage directly descending from Mahavairocana
mean exactly...Is Nichiren Daishonin an emanation of Mahavairocana ?
No. Definitely not Mahavairocana. Nichiren considered Mahavairocana to be an emanation of the Original Buddha.

What those two documents mean is not entirely clear. It appears that Nichiren asserted that he was holding the lineage of the Womb and Diamond World mandalas. This is referenced on the Gohonzon through the appearance of Fudo Myo'o and Aizen Myo'o.

Nichiren suggested that he was an emanation of Visistacaritra Bodhisattva (Jogyo Bosatsu).

We've discussed these documents before:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=24610&p=373393&hil ... ld#p373393
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=25067&p=380940&hil ... ld#p380940
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=22945
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=23559&p=352938&hil ... ld#p352870

and more, I'm sure.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 pm Nichiren considered Mahavairocana to be an emanation of the Original Buddha.

and yet like the other site said.here ..Nichiren never talked of Original buddha and that came well after His and His disciples deaths.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Who is Nichiren Shonin/really
A man of action who actively enacted the activities necessary to accomplish his goals.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Minobu wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:39 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 pm Nichiren considered Mahavairocana to be an emanation of the Original Buddha.

and yet like the other site said.here ..Nichiren never talked of Original buddha and that came well after His and His disciples deaths.
That article points out that Nichiren did not identify himself as the original Buddha. The original Buddha is Shakyamuni who is revealed in the Original Gate teaching of the Lotus Sutra.

Don't compound your confusion.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:32 pm
Minobu wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:39 pm

That article points out that Nichiren did not identify himself as the original Buddha. The original Buddha is Shakyamuni who is revealed in the Original Gate teaching of the Lotus Sutra.

Don't compound your confusion.
my bad...
the article said ;
A main point of contention is the controversy of the
Original Buddha being identified with either Nichiren or the Eternal Śākyamuni. Such ideas took
shape way after Nichiren
I took it as Nichiren never discussed original buddha or eternal Sakyamuni...

the words are he did not not identify Himself as such...
this is why i reread things for i sometimes confuse what i have been struggling with with what i read at times.

So...here we go ...*jumps back unto the old creaky old merry - go - round*
Did Nichiren Shonin ever discuss original Buddha or Eternal Sakyamuni ..

or is this discussion of such something that came about with what the article declares...well after Nichiren and His disciples died these subjects were used to legitimize Him. ...but the real question is...did all this talk of original buddha and eternal Sakyamuni first crop after His death...or did He leave us a clear understanding or a semblance of some understanding about Original Buddhas and Eternal Sakyamuni stuff?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Original Buddha is not unique to the Nichiren tradition.

The Buddha of the Original Gate (Second Half of the Lotus Sutra) is said to have attained enlightenment in the remote past. This is understood in the Lotus tradition (from Tiantai on) to mean that the Original Buddha has been/is/always will be enlightened and that the various Buddhas who appear in response to causes and conditions are all emanations of this Buddha. They, Original Buddha and Emanations, are not the same; nor are they different.

We have to get back to that recently discussed - function/essence.

This Buddha, appeared here, in this Saha World as the man we know as Siddhartha Gautama aka Shakyamuni Buddha. There is no distinction between Shakyamuni and his complete identity as Original Buddha. We sit here in this Saha world - and our entry into this vast ocean of Buddhahood is through the appearance of Shakyamuni Buddha. Shakyamuni is the perspective on Buddhahood that is most completely and perfectly configured for the beings who appear in this world to relate to Buddhahood. This perspective is also explained as Ichinen Sanzen. This state of mind is embodied in the mandala we call the Gohonzon. When we chant NMRK, seated in the place of practice, we unify with the Buddha.

Return to “Nichiren”