Is NMRK the definitive Buddhist path?

DGA
Former staff member

Re: Is NMRK the definitive Buddhist path?

Post by DGA »

rory wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:40 am
marting wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 am Is the Dohan dissertation accessible online? Definitely sounds fascinating.
Sure just gave the link to download! here it is, this would be very interesting to discuss.
https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/111511
gassho
Rory
It is interesting scholarship.

Even more interesting: the author of that disseration is currently a gyoja at Tendai Buddhist Institute. If you contact the NY Tendai Betsuin, I'm sure they can put you in contact with him.
ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:11 pm
Minobu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:16 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:55 pm

Yes, I have heard Gelugpas explain away his remarks as being related only to the fact that many Gelugpas in eastern Tibet were all becoming interested in Dzogchen, and he did not like that. He also did not like the so called Rime movement. He regarded it as a threat the Gelug intellectual hegemony in Tibet.
I asked you twice now a third.
Where do you get where you claim pabongka was using upaya as the reason for the criticisms .

i asked for source for i fear some would think you just shot that fake news out to bolster your stance in the discussion with "Q".
I am not required to report to you where and when I have had this or that conversation with Gelug apologists for Pabhongkha. It is sufficient that I have had them and now report them to you.
Should Pahbongkha's writings be avoided? I saw this on another thread, is he being hypocritical?

Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.
Pabongka Rinpoche, Liberation in the palm of your hand: A concise discourse on the path to enlightenment (2006). Boston: Wisdom Publications, p. 137
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

ItsRaining wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:08 am
Should Pahbongkha's writings be avoided? ...
I'm going to phrase this comment carefully.

Anyone studying in the Gelugpa school should invest the time in learning about the recent history of that school and the role Pabhongkhapa Dechen Nyingpo played in it. It requires very little effort indeed. They should also be aware of the relationships of different Gelugpa Lamas to this teacher's transmissions. They would be strongly advised to make these investigations before receiving any long-lasting commitments.

What is not in dispute is that the Gelugpas, like all the lineages, hold invaluable teachings, and that Pabhongkha himself was an extremely serious and dedicated practitioner, and one who worked hard to disseminate his views and practices.

Return to “Nichiren”