I want a Nittatsu gohonzon!

dharmapdx

I want a Nittatsu gohonzon!

Post by dharmapdx »

:tantrum:

Anyone got one they want to part with? LOL. For some reason I feel very drawn to them. I think that what I like most about them is that you can really clearly see each individual character. I look at a Nittatsu gohonzon and think to myself, "if I put in the effort, I could probably learn enough Chinese to read this."
Attachments
IMG_3944.JPG
IMG_3944.JPG (38.82 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
dharmapdx

Re: I want a Nittatsu gohonzon!

Post by dharmapdx »

I thought this website was supposed to be down: http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/nic ... hoshu.html
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

The coffeehouse was offline because the old hosting account eventually expired & was closed, but copies were saved & I rehosted it on the link you supplied. I'm happy to keep it there for the forseeable future but I would encourage everyone interested to save a copy of the .zip file referenced in the index page- the more backups the site has the better.

As part of the rehosting process I stripped out the domain-specific links, advertising, tracking & stats collection, webrings and online dating links to make it generally harmless to browse either online or extracted to a PC. I made no other editorial changes to content. All the high-res and thumbnail gohonzon images are present. wrt image quality, the Nichiren Mandala Workshop has more & better images but I don't think those are conveniently available in high-resolution form.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

when i got married my first wife had to give back her Nittatsu Gohonzon and she griped that "it was a good one".

Her way of saying goodbye to something really powerful .\and said it again very disappointed when we broke up and she got the Nikken one.

:stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

:popcorn:
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

narhwal90 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:15 am The coffeehouse was offline because the old hosting account eventually expired & was closed, but copies were saved & I rehosted it on the link you supplied. I'm happy to keep it there for the forseeable future but I would encourage everyone interested to save a copy of the .zip file referenced in the index page- the more backups the site has the better.

As part of the rehosting process I stripped out the domain-specific links, advertising, tracking & stats collection, webrings and online dating links to make it generally harmless to browse either online or extracted to a PC. I made no other editorial changes to content. All the high-res and thumbnail gohonzon images are present. wrt image quality, the Nichiren Mandala Workshop has more & better images but I don't think those are conveniently available in high-resolution form.
Thank you. Do you have a particular Nittatsu file that you would recommend downloading? I want a Nittatsu gohonzon so badly that I wish I could buy one, but I've seen them online for over $1000. That's pretty prohibitive.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

The page you linked has a reasonably high res nittatsu image- an improvement would involve someone with an original putting it on a scanner at 1200dpi or similar. If such a file is available, I'd be happy to add it to the coffeehouse pages.

I've often wondered about how a DIY gohonzon might be printed and matted, I suspect a graphics artist could do some cleaning & printing etc to make something nicer than an inkjet image & there are likely all sorts of choices for paper and ink. If you zoom into these images far enough the quantization is obvious OTOH smudges and imperfections in the original could be corrected. My fav images from the coffeehouse are 59,60 if I were to try a DIY gohonzon I'd likely work with them tho some of the gohonzon from the 1st gen followers are quite interesting as well.
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

Beautiful Nitattsu for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-BUDDH ... 3488837145

I do have mixed feelings about them being for sale on eBay, but it's interesting to browse the site sometimes because it can provide something of a history lesson on Gohonzon.

Is this what the ones issued in the 60s and 70s looked like? Read that for a period there they were basically handed them out on street corners. I've read that back then it was very easy to get one, and very inexpensive. Funny that decades later they end up on eBay for a premium of $500 or $1000.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

dharmapdx wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:36 pm Beautiful Nitattsu for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-BUDDH ... 3488837145

I do have mixed feelings about them being for sale on eBay, but it's interesting to browse the site sometimes because it can provide something of a history lesson on Gohonzon.

Is this what the ones issued in the 60s and 70s looked like? Read that for a period there they were basically handed them out on street corners. I've read that back then it was very easy to get one, and very inexpensive. Funny that decades later they end up on eBay for a premium of $500 or $1000.
never saw one that looked like that or with that background
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Looks like one of the big gohonzon one might see in a community center.. .needs a very large butsudan for the scales to complement. I started with NSA in the 80's and received a nikken gohonzon, the familiar all paper construction of traditional dimension. They were easy to get, showing up for meetings for a few months was enough. I don't know about Shoshu practices these days, in SGI its still straightforward to obtain one though it is the SGI version.
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

The date of the inscription of this gohonzon is the 1st jan, 41st year of Showa, which is the date on all the nittatsu okutagi gohonzon. This is a regular gohonzon, but with a special/better mounting than those generally issued, at least compared to the ones sent overseas. Perhaps it was standard practice to issue a regular gohonzon with different mountings? Perhaps for non-soka gakkai members of Nichiren Shoshu? Or perhaps a donation to the local temple could 'buy' a gohonzon remounted on something more elaborate ? Or ???

It is also possible that as the soka gakkai grew so fast during this period that the priests were forced to produce less elaborate gohonzon mountings just to keep up with the demand and/or keep costs down.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:09 am Looks like one of the big gohonzon one might see in a community center.. .needs a very large butsudan for the scales to complement. I started with NSA in the 80's and received a nikken gohonzon, the familiar all paper construction of traditional dimension. They were easy to get, showing up for meetings for a few months was enough. I don't know about Shoshu practices these days, in SGI its still straightforward to obtain one though it is the SGI version.
i got mine the first night i ever went to a meeting... the meeting room..Sunrise district toronto Canada.
If you ever saw the scene in the movie The Last Detail where they are in a meeting with a woman leading the chanting...that was the room i first went to for the very first meeting...most of the people in the room were actual Buddhists..friends, and Mrs Izumi the head of canada.

the movie happened just before i joined.
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

The eBay listing says that the gohonzon has been re-mounted. So that maybe why we have all never seen one before that looks like this.
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

This one is stunning, for an unbelievable $1000: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nichiren-Scrol ... 2617001151
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I think its likely the gohonzon portion of the scroll is the same size as the previous ebay listing. This one looks a lot more original and I imagine would fit in the usual at-home size butsudan. Its been a while since I had my nikken gohonzon, but this one does look very similar, though its a different printing of course. Seems unlikely they'll get $1k for it but who knows...
coffeebeans

Post by coffeebeans »

That looks way cool. Are these written in Chinese or Japanese?
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

coffeebeans wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:04 am That looks way cool. Are these written in Chinese or Japanese?
They are Chinese characters, with I believe some Sanskrit ( on the sides).
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

coffeebeans wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:04 am That looks way cool. Are these written in Chinese or Japanese?
http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/nic ... /032A.html
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

Minobu wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm
narhwal90 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:09 am Looks like one of the big gohonzon one might see in a community center.. .needs a very large butsudan for the scales to complement. I started with NSA in the 80's and received a nikken gohonzon, the familiar all paper construction of traditional dimension. They were easy to get, showing up for meetings for a few months was enough. I don't know about Shoshu practices these days, in SGI its still straightforward to obtain one though it is the SGI version.
i got mine the first night i ever went to a meeting... the meeting room..Sunrise district toronto Canada.
If you ever saw the scene in the movie The Last Detail where they are in a meeting with a woman leading the chanting...that was the room i first went to for the very first meeting...most of the people in the room were actual Buddhists..friends, and Mrs Izumi the head of canada.

Fascinating. I had never heard of that movie but I will look it up.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

That scene in The Last Detail is what I remember some meetings being like back in the NSA days. LOL Good ol'fun.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Minobu wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm

ok downloaded movie to see...wow me memory is bad...really bad...
the Japanese woman with child in her lap is Mrs. Izumi the head of canada..she is not leading the chant sesion...and only one guy do i recognize....
man memory blurrrrrrrrr....

Return to “Nichiren”