Is it true that chanting brings us blessings and if so, is this dependent on daily, consistent practice?

bcol01

Is it true that chanting brings us blessings and if so, is this dependent on daily, consistent practice?

Post by bcol01 »

Just would like some thoughts on this. :namaste:
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Is it true that chanting brings us blessings and if so, is this dependent on daily, consistent practice?

Post by Queequeg »

Yes. And Yes.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Re: Is it true that chanting brings us blessings and if so, is this dependent on daily, consistent practice?

Post by Minobu »

i don;t think we could do this practice if our lives were well dry from blessings...

i mean like we are common mortals right now in a degenerative negative age.

i still look back to that moment when i first chanted and my father rose from a death bed.

if that did not happen....between my karma and the world i live in....it would be unbearable to bear some of the chit i stir up in my karmic arcana
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

if you don't believe me ask here

dude

Post by dude »

Yes. Chanting is the way in this muddied age to gain good fortune and reduce bad karma.
It's a good idea to do it every day, but you don't suddenly lose all you have gained if you miss gongyo ( practice) once.
Observing the practice is a right, not an obligation. On the other hand, it's very much to your advantage to do it consistently, because over time, even a few minutes practice every day adds up to a lot of good fortune.
markatex

Post by markatex »

Even chanting the daimoku just once in your entire life brings innumerable merits. Whether that merit manifests immediately, later in life, or in a future life, is dependent on many things, but it ultimately doesn't matter. Chapters 17 and 18 of the Lotus Sutra discuss this in some detail.

That being said, maintaining a consistent practice is best.
markatex

Post by markatex »

Also, just because something in your life doesn't go the way you hoped it would, doesn't indicate that your practice isn't generating merit. Nor does it mean that bad things won't happen to you. Often, what we are given are opportunities to practice perseverance, forbearance, and other qualities of the bodhisattva.
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Thank you for your insight. :namaste:
markatex wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:31 pm Also, just because something in your life doesn't go the way you hoped it would, doesn't indicate that your practice isn't generating merit. Nor does it mean that bad things won't happen to you. Often, what we are given are opportunities to practice perseverance, forbearance, and other qualities of the bodhisattva.
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
Renegade

Post by Renegade »

Yes definately! Its similar to if you want to grow flowers or something. They need regular watering to grow (excluding cacti, they can survive ages without water). Any practice is great, but consistent and daily practice will bring the most benefits!
南無妙法蓮華経!

Return to “Nichiren”