How does one practice Nichiren Buddhism at home?

bcol01

How does one practice Nichiren Buddhism at home?

Post by bcol01 »

So I live in Chicago and I'm not really interested in SGI. I say that because that seems to be the only temple in the city that is of the Nichiren sect. There is one outside of the city limits but it's rather hard to get to. Over the years, I've read numerous books on Nichiren Buddhism and am still growing in knowledge but if there's no temple near me (at least one that I'm interested in joining or visiting) then how do I practice at home?

Also, this forum and it's members have been instrumental in my learning. I just want to say that I respect you all and deeply appreciate your guidance and support along my learning journey. *Gassho*
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
markatex

Re: How does one practice Nichiren Buddhism at home?

Post by markatex »

It’s pretty easy now to connect with US Nichiren Shu priests online. A few of them livestream their weekly services. Much easier than when I started. I live about 3 hours from the nearest NShu temple, and count myself lucky in that regard.

But it’s not a practice that necessitates constant face-to-face contact with a teacher. Just because of the fact that practitioners in the US are so spread out, there’s a lot of more or less self-directed learning. So I do my daily morning and evening practice, connect with online services when I can, and make occasional trips to Houston.
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Sweet! Thanks for that. I am aware of the online-streaming services but just can't really connect (no pun intended :p) that way. Thanks for lending your insight and experience in this area. **Gassho**
markatex wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:21 pm It’s pretty easy now to connect with US Nichiren Shu priests online. A few of them livestream their weekly services. Much easier than when I started. I live about 3 hours from the nearest NShu temple, and count myself lucky in that regard.

But it’s not a practice that necessitates constant face-to-face contact with a teacher. Just because of the fact that practitioners in the US are so spread out, there’s a lot of more or less self-directed learning. So I do my daily morning and evening practice, connect with online services when I can, and make occasional trips to Houston.
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

There was an Independent Nichiren movement some years ago, I was never involved but it seemed to reach quite a few folks. Some would print and enshrine their own gohonzon and set up a DIY altar. There is lots of altar stuff available on ebay, amazon etc. The basic practice is to chant and recite chapters from the Lotus Sutra, there are youtube recordings of both to help with pronunciation.

That said, finding a way to hook up face-to-face with other practitioners helps me stay encouraged.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

bcol01 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:42 pm So I live in Chicago and I'm not really interested in SGI. I say that because that seems to be the only temple in the city that is of the Nichiren sect. There is one outside of the city limits but it's rather hard to get to. Over the years, I've read numerous books on Nichiren Buddhism and am still growing in knowledge but if there's no temple near me (at least one that I'm interested in joining or visiting) then how do I practice at home?

Also, this forum and it's members have been instrumental in my learning. I just want to say that I respect you all and deeply appreciate your guidance and support along my learning journey. *Gassho*
Since you mentioned "temple", I think you might be referring to Myogyoji Temple in Chicago. That's a Nichiren Shoshu temple, not SGI.. just to point that out. I could be wrong, but I didn't think SGI had temples. Anyone, feel free to correct me on that if warranted. :)

Since I'm a NShoshu guy in the Washington, D.C. area, I'm fortunate to be close to Myosenji Temple. I try to make it once a month though, as traffic can be brutal. Myosenji does have regular live streaming of Shodai and Gongyo (Mon, Wed and Fi) as well as important ceremonies and intro sessions on Sundays. I have a gohonzon at home that I received from the temple of course, but I do like to tun in pretty frequently.

My advice is to take advantage of live streaming where available. I thought it would be awkward before I started doing it, but I actually like it. It helps to feel "connected".

Best wishes to you!
markatex

Post by markatex »

Yeah, online streaming services aren’t ideal, but you work with what you got. Ideally, I think NShu would like to reach a point where there might only be a few priests in the US, but there were many more lay leaders. But that requires a really dedicated laity. Anyway.

I was vaguely aware of a NShoshu temple in Chicago and there might even be a NShu one, but they might not be that open to non-Japanese people.
dude

Post by dude »

I agree with markatex, "you work with what you got.
The important thing, as the Gosho says, is "strong and steadfast faith."
Maintain a steady practice and study...when the time is right, other bodhasattvas will naturally appear in your environment.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

markatex wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:57 pm Yeah, online streaming services aren’t ideal, but you work with what you got. Ideally, I think NShu would like to reach a point where there might only be a few priests in the US, but there were many more lay leaders. But that requires a really dedicated laity. Anyway.

I was vaguely aware of a NShoshu temple in Chicago and there might even be a NShu one, but they might not be that open to non-Japanese people.
Work with what you got.. yep! Honestly, I find Nichiren Buddhism a little difficult due to the low density of Nichiren Buddhists in this part of the world. In a way, the challenge encourages me. I gotta work for it. I can say that the extra effort required has forced me to read much more, not just about Nichiren Buddhism. Oh yeah, second piece of advice - read a lot. :)

The online stream option isn't optimal.. it's just there if you want to hear other voices.
gohonzon

Post by gohonzon »

I also practice in Nichiren Shoshu as well. Chicago has a Temple and Reverend Kato is the one stationed there. They have a fairly large amount of youth practitioners and as well as a big lawn where people gather and hang out to learn about Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism from a fairly large amount of varying ex-Soka Gakkai members there as well and Midwest members who travel from various states. They also recently had a recent anniversary event of their temple. Only if you are a registered Hokkeko member, you can receive permission to participate in Gongyo services online via an iPhone or Android device.

Clarity and specific Differentiation is always key to a successful Nichiren Shoshu Buddhist practice. Good luck in your endless search.
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Scratch the word "temple". I'm aware that SGI do not have temples. Dunno why I put that.
Ty for the well wishes! :)
justsomeguy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:32 pm
bcol01 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:42 pm So I live in Chicago and I'm not really interested in SGI. I say that because that seems to be the only temple in the city that is of the Nichiren sect. There is one outside of the city limits but it's rather hard to get to. Over the years, I've read numerous books on Nichiren Buddhism and am still growing in knowledge but if there's no temple near me (at least one that I'm interested in joining or visiting) then how do I practice at home?

Since you mentioned "temple", I think you might be referring to Myogyoji Temple in Chicago. That's a Nichiren Shoshu temple, not SGI.. just to point that out. I could be wrong, but I didn't think SGI had temples. Anyone, feel free to correct me on that if warranted. :)

Since I'm a NShoshu guy in the Washington, D.C. area, I'm fortunate to be close to Myosenji Temple. I try to make it once a month though, as traffic can be brutal. Myosenji does have regular live streaming of Shodai and Gongyo (Mon, Wed and Fi) as well as important ceremonies and intro sessions on Sundays. I have a gohonzon at home that I received from the temple of course, but I do like to tun in pretty frequently.

My advice is to take advantage of live streaming where available. I thought it would be awkward before I started doing it, but I actually like it. It helps to feel "connected".

Best wishes to you!
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Hello. So the temple you mentioned is actually not in the city limits, hard to get to. Ty for your warm wishes.
gohonzon wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:43 am I also practice in Nichiren Shoshu as well. Chicago has a Temple and Reverend Kato is the one stationed there. They have a fairly large amount of youth practitioners and as well as a big lawn where people gather and hang out to learn about Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism from a fairly large amount of varying ex-Soka Gakkai members there as well and Midwest members who travel from various states. They also recently had a recent anniversary event of their temple. Only if you are a registered Hokkeko member, you can receive permission to participate in Gongyo services online via an iPhone or Android device.

Clarity and specific Differentiation is always key to a successful Nichiren Shoshu Buddhist practice. Good luck in your endless search.
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Thank you for your insight. I have a plethora of books on Nichiren Buddhism, so I've been digesting quite a lot since 2010. For now, I don't live near a temple of my liking but, perhaps in the future? I certainly understand how the streaming services can be helpful. Ty again.
justsomeguy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:48 am
markatex wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:57 pm Yeah, online streaming services aren’t ideal, but you work with what you got. Ideally, I think NShu would like to reach a point where there might only be a few priests in the US, but there were many more lay leaders. But that requires a really dedicated laity. Anyway.

Work with what you got.. yep! Honestly, I find Nichiren Buddhism a little difficult due to the low density of Nichiren Buddhists in this part of the world. In a way, the challenge encourages me. I gotta work for it. I can say that the extra effort required has forced me to read much more, not just about Nichiren Buddhism. Oh yeah, second piece of advice - read a lot. :)

The online stream option isn't optimal.. it's just there if you want to hear other voices.

Return to “Nichiren”