What is a good book I can read on the Lotus Sutra that is a commentary on it?

bcol01

What is a good book I can read on the Lotus Sutra that is a commentary on it?

Post by bcol01 »

Is there a good book out there that I can read on the Lotus Sutra that is a commentary on each chapter or portion?
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
markatex

Re: What is a good book I can read on the Lotus Sutra that is a commentary on it?

Post by markatex »

Introduction to the Lotus Sutra by Shinjo Suguro
https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Lot ... 0875730787

You can also get it from NBIC (and for less than $25). If you get it from Amazon, I'd recommend getting a used copy, as it's much cheaper. Not a fancy or detailed book, but if you're reading the LS for the first time, it's very helpful. There is another book by the same title by Yoshiro Tamura, but it is not a chapter by chapter commentary.
Yavana

Re: What is a good book I can read on the Lotus Sutra that is a commentary on it?

Post by Yavana »

bcol01 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:04 pm Is there a good book out there that I can read on the Lotus Sutra that is a commentary on each chapter or portion?
You must be aware of Ikeda's commentaries and assuming you've already used Google and found Nikkyo Niwano's Buddhism For Today and are looking for something more in-depth or even scholarly—all I can say is "Good luck!" It took me a few years just to get someone to drop a list of Tiantai scholars or to suggest a book from one worth reading as a layman. You might have to spend a few years in the subway, wrapped in a wool blanket shouting "Honest, upright, gentle in intent! The Buddha appears to bold and effortful ones such as this! His lifespan is infinite and His Pure Land is not destroyed! Remove the dust from your eyes and see that His Pure Land is this world!" Then the tenured contributors might think about considering your question. Maybe.

:namaste:
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Though neither is a chapter-by-chapter commentary, Dogen's "On ‘The Flowering of the Dharma Sets the Dharma’s Flowering in Motion’ takes up some of the themes, as does Wonhyo.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Maybe someday, Zhiyi's commentary will be translated. Maybe Nichiren's annotated copy will be translated.

If someone has not read it yet, before picking up a commentary, just read it. Take in the story. Don't worry about every detail. You don't really need to know the significance of yaksas and mahoragas, or this bodhisattva or that one. Its not a sutra like the Prajnaparamita presenting philosophical ideas directly. Its a sweeping story that describes broad picture. Its pretty good literature.

Buddhist Kaleidoscope is an interesting collection of essays by contemporary scholars and teachers. There is also a Nanzan U. Journal of Japanese Religion issue devoted to the Lotus Sutra with several interesting articles.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

bcol01 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:04 pm Is there a good book out there that I can read on the Lotus Sutra that is a commentary on each chapter or portion?
Master Hsuan Hua commented on the entire sutra. The English translation by BTTS is in 16 volumes, a mix of 10 paperback older versions & newer revised hardback volumes. This BTTS site only sells the first ten volumes as a package, but used individual copies are out there.

https://www.bttsonline.org/index.php?p= ... otus+sutra
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

The Ongi Kuden or The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings... https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/ott/toc/

Mark
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

illarraza wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:09 am
The Ongi Kuden or The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings... https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/ott/toc/

Mark
I agree, but I'm shocked the good Doctor would recommend it!
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:44 pm
illarraza wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:09 am

Mark
I agree, but I'm shocked the good Doctor would recommend it!
A bout of indigestion, i guess.

Return to “Nichiren”