How do we deal with friends who make assumptions about us that are not true?

bcol01

How do we deal with friends who make assumptions about us that are not true?

Post by bcol01 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:55 pm

So I have a friend who use to be a psych tech in the military and he often makes assumptions about others as if he knows what they're thinking, etc. For example, I mentioned once that I had thought about going back to Church and he tells me I need to stop being self-depracating and that he thinks I have a low self-esteem. I told him it was offensive and untrue but he just kinda shrugged it off. I can't help but ruminate over this and while there are many reasons I enjoy being his friend, this know-it-all presumptuousness that he sometimes displays, puts me off to the point where I don't want to talk to him and confide in him about anything. I just need some perspective. What do you guys think? How should I respond to this?

dude

Re: How do we deal with friends who make assumptions about us that are not true?

Post by dude » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Sounds like a good chance to develop your debating and interpersonal skills, both of which the Gohonzon can be a great help with.
Chant slowly and carefully as you pick out the logical fallacies involved. Most of all, rely on faith.

bcol01

Re: How do we deal with friends who make assumptions about us that are not true?

Post by bcol01 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:31 pm

I spoke to him, he listened, apologized, deflected a bit but, things are communicated.
dude wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:20 pm
Sounds like a good chance to develop your debating and interpersonal skills, both of which the Gohonzon can be a great help with.
Chant slowly and carefully as you pick out the logical fallacies involved. Most of all, rely on faith.

dude

Post by dude » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Sounds like you handled it quite well. :smile:

Return to “Nichiren”