What is the best way to deal with narcissistic slander?

bcol01

What is the best way to deal with narcissistic slander?

Post by bcol01 »

I ended a friendship with someone who I knew for a few years who turned out to be quite narcissistic and petty. I am concerned that this person may slander me in order to keep up their false image and I'm wondering what is the most effective and Buddhist way to deal with such a person? Ty
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
如傑優婆塞

Re: What is the best way to deal with narcissistic slander?

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

Some stuff I recall...

Should a seeker not find a companion who is better or equal, let him resolutely pursue a solitary course; there is no fellowship with the fool.
Do not associate with evil companions; do not seek the fellowship of the vile. Associate with the good friends; seek the fellowship of noble men.
This & This

And then there's this 'interesting' chapter with its list...
What is meant by the Bodhisattva Mahasattva's range of association? More here

And Nichiren Daishonin's perspective; from his The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra
Devadatta was the foremost good friend to the Thus Come One Shakyamuni. In this age as well, it is not one’s allies but one’s powerful enemies who assist one’s progress. We find examples before our very eyes. The Hōjō clan in Kamakura could not have firmly established itself as the ruler of Japan had it not been for the challenges posed by Yoshimori and the Retired Emperor of Oki.19 In this sense these men were the best allies the ruling clan could have. For me, Nichiren, my best allies in attaining Buddhahood are Kagenobu, the priests Ryōkan, Dōryū, and Dōamidabutsu, and Hei no Saemon and the lord of Sagami. I am grateful when I think that without them I could not have proved myself to be the votary of the Lotus Sutra.
dude

Re: What is the best way to deal with narcissistic slander?

Post by dude »

well, the most effective thing is to chant for their happiness. The horrific karma they receive for slandering you is guaranteed.
This is a very very good question to ask the gohonzon. it turns poison into medicine. I mean it.

Return to “Nichiren”