Question about homosexuality & life's experience...

Monlam Tharchin
Global Moderator

Re: Question about homosexuality & life's experience...

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 pm

The Cicada wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 pm
Coëmgenu wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:18 pm
paṇḍaka
The term "sissy" seems to be a best fit, given context of usage, in the same way that the English word "thing" is for the word "dharma." I might be very wrong, but there's my contribution. :shrug:

May this whole awakening thing spread and prosper.

:namaste:
"sissy" strikes me as homophobic. Effeminate gay men have been targeted in many times and places.
I'd be curious to know what pandaka refers to more specifically as well.
namuamidabunamuamidabunamuamidabunamuamidabunamuamidabu

The Buddhas and Bodhisattvas have unobstructed vision in all directions.
Everything is in their presence; and I stand in front of them. -- Shantideva

Free Pure Land Buddhism resources

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Monlam Tharchin wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 pm
"sissy" strikes me as homophobic.
It would be, but if we're looking for a word that catches a good deal of the connotation and denotation of the original, I think it's a good fit. Not sure if the term "pandaka" was all that homo-tolerant when it was used—or if the society it was used in was either FWIW. But there it is.

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Monlam Tharchin wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 pm
I'd be curious to know what pandaka refers to more specifically as well.
Probably something like this, but in ancient India:

AFAIK, the term is used by the Buddha to describe criminals and men who were fond of committing adultery with married women, among other things. You'll keep in mind that Lord Shakya was fond of redefining terms.

markatex

Post by markatex » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:53 pm

It seems that "pandaka" (if by that we're talking about the "five kinds of unmanly men") means a few different things, and only one of them has to do with homosexuality (and even then, it's a rather specific kind of homosexuality - and one that doesn't appear to actually exist). And further, the Vinaya appears to only care whether or not you have your nuts intact, not whether you become aroused by ingesting a man's semen or by the phase of the moon. So I don't think "sissy" applies, unless you consider a man who gets his balls blown off in combat to be a "sissy."

(Not that this has anything to do with anything, but it was rumored that my high school algebra teacher's husband lost his in WWII - or maybe Korea - and that's why all their children were adopted. It may or may not have been true.)

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:00 am

markatex wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:53 pm
It seems that "pandaka" (if by that we're talking about the "five kinds of unmanly men") means a few different things, and only one of them has to do with homosexuality (and even then, it's a rather specific kind of homosexuality - and one that doesn't appear to actually exist). And further, the Vinaya appears to only care whether or not you have your nuts intact, not whether you become aroused by ingesting a man's semen or by the phase of the moon. So I don't think "sissy" applies, unless you consider a man who gets his balls blown off in combat to be a "sissy."
I have an uncle who stepped on a landmine and lost most of his lower body. That old man was no sissy! Excellent points.

:namaste:

Return to “Nichiren”