Synchronicity In Buddhism

Yavana

Synchronicity In Buddhism

Post by Yavana »

When I first met my SGI sponsors, I was told that nothing is a coincidence. The little old pioneer women were very keen on noticing minute details, small synchronicities, and oddly enough such synchronicities seemed to follow them wherever they went. In fact, the day my gohonzon was enshrined was marked by a subtle, but unforgettable synchronicity. This seems to be in line with Nichiren's view that all things have a karmic significance, but I've never encountered any Buddhist teaching that explicitly outlines the idea that "nothing is a coincidence." Never encountered such a teaching unless, of course, I've simply failed to understand the implications of ubiquitous karmic causality in the past.

Where does this idea about synchronicity come from, and is this simply an extension of the teaching regarding karmic causality?
Minobu

Re: Synchronicity In Buddhism

Post by Minobu »

We all look for clues that "SOMETHING" is happening.
Thing is when things really start to be obvious that you no longer are living a sundry mundane life and your Higher self/Buddha /spiritual body/evolved everything.....is starting to become obvious...simple synchronicity is just a road sign that something is happening..

If this site shows us anything it's something is definitely afoot... we all are developing whats already there...
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

What do you mean?
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

The Cicada wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:01 am What do you mean?
The Cicada wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:16 pm When I first met my SGI sponsors, I was told that nothing is a coincidence. The little old pioneer women were very keen on noticing minute details, small synchronicities,
Minobu wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:49 pm We all look for clues that "SOMETHING" is happening.
Minobu wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:49 pm . we all are developing whats already there...
different levels of awareness along the path towards your development.

some started with a tarot reading or some woman in a turbin and a crystal ball telling you "I see you seeking in a past life"

might seem like drivel...but in this world it's like a huge motivation for some to seek a path...

we are all salmon swimming upstream ...

illarraza

Post by illarraza »

The Cicada wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:16 pm When I first met my SGI sponsors, I was told that nothing is a coincidence. The little old pioneer women were very keen on noticing minute details, small synchronicities, and oddly enough such synchronicities seemed to follow them wherever they went. In fact, the day my gohonzon was enshrined was marked by a subtle, but unforgettable synchronicity. This seems to be in line with Nichiren's view that all things have a karmic significance, but I've never encountered any Buddhist teaching that explicitly outlines the idea that "nothing is a coincidence." Never encountered such a teaching unless, of course, I've simply failed to understand the implications of ubiquitous karmic causality in the past.

Where does this idea about synchronicity come from, and is this simply an extension of the teaching regarding karmic causality?
To play the devils advocate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

From a provisional Buddhist perspective, karma is an accumulation of thoughts, words, and deeds from the infinite past and the most important mover of causality in the present. It would take the perception of Buddha to make an association between our infinite causes and an event or effect at present.

Nichiren Lotus Sutra Buddhism, on the other hand, postulates that the cause of chanting Namu Myoho renge kyo is such a powerful cause as to lessen karmic retribution and to create karmic reward instantaneously, overshadowing our thoughts, words, and deeds accumulated from the infinite past.

Initially, anyone who chants Namu Myoho renge kyo will receive tremendous benefit (merit and virtue) but as one progresses in his faith, practice, and study and becomes aware of his mistaken beliefs and practices, yet fails to correct himself by renouncing these false beliefs (doctrines), one's joy and benefits will dry up.

Mark
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Minobu wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:27 am
The Cicada wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:16 pm When I first met my SGI sponsors, I was told that nothing is a coincidence. The little old pioneer women were very keen on noticing minute details, small synchronicities,
Minobu wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:49 pm We all look for clues that "SOMETHING" is happening.
Minobu wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:49 pm . we all are developing whats already there...

some started with a tarot reading or some woman in a turbin and a crystal ball telling you "I see you seeking in a past life"

might seem like drivel...but in this world it's like a huge motivation for some to seek a path...

How does this relate to synchronicity and the idea of being "in rhythm?"

illarraza wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:55 am Initially, anyone who chants Namu Myoho renge kyo will receive tremendous benefit (merit and virtue) but as one progresses in his faith, practice, and study and becomes aware of his mistaken beliefs and practices, yet fails to correct himself by renouncing these false beliefs (doctrines), one's joy and benefits will dry up.

Mark
What sorts of false beliefs and doctrines do you have in mind?
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

The Cicada wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:51 pm

It only relates because I believe in synchronicity and also believe in the concept of being in rhythm...
as i said they are clues....
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Ichinen Sanzen.

We are responsible for what happens. If things are going well, we are happy to accept this and put a label with positive connotations like "synchronicity" on it. When thing go bad in succession, though, many of us have a tendency to attribute it to some other cause - tragedy happens to us, we think malevolent forces are acting on us.

Good, bad, neutral, its all karma.

The good that Illaraza is talking about - its NMRK as the Sudden Path. NMRK is nothing like the Provisional Teachings. When the sun of the Sublime Dharma (Myoho) shines, karma, good, bad, neutral, evaporates like dew. One sees Thus Reality - the True Aspect (jisso).

Neither synchronicity, nor not synchronicity. Just Thus. Just Such.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:42 pm Ichinen Sanzen.

We are responsible for what happens. If things are going well, we are happy to accept this and put a label with positive connotations like "synchronicity" on it. When thing go bad in succession, though, many of us have a tendency to attribute it to some other cause - tragedy happens to us, we think malevolent forces are acting on us.

Good, bad, neutral, its all karma.

The good that Illaraza is talking about - its NMRK as the Sudden Path. NMRK is nothing like the Provisional Teachings. When the sun of the Sublime Dharma (Myoho) shines, karma, good, bad, neutral, evaporates like dew. One sees Thus Reality - the True Aspect (jisso).

Neither synchronicity, nor not synchronicity. Just Thus. Just Such.
Right.

There are many things I would like to bring up in response to this, but I'm just going to bust out the tortillas on this one and declare it a wrap on drawing a connection between what I was taught and orthodox Buddhist doctrine and scriptures.

(Though, for the record, when tragedy strikes I just blame the Illuminati. 🤷)
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

The Cicada wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:51 pm

illarraza wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:55 am Initially, anyone who chants Namu Myoho renge kyo will receive tremendous benefit (merit and virtue) but as one progresses in his faith, practice, and study and becomes aware of his mistaken beliefs and practices, yet fails to correct himself by renouncing these false beliefs (doctrines), one's joy and benefits will dry up.

Mark
What sorts of false beliefs and doctrines do you have in mind?
See my answer on misconceptions and then please see my blog devoted to correcting wrong thought from a Nichiren Lotus Sutra Buddhist perspective (The Eagle Peak Blog).

Mark

Return to “Nichiren”