why i stopped a daily Nichirenesque practice

justsomeguy

Re: why i stopped a daily Nichirenesque practice

Post by justsomeguy »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:25 pm
justsomeguy wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:08 pm
narhwal90 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:26 am 1. I'm not sure that Nichiren Buddhism lacks anything fundamentally, though the comparative lack of instruction compared to something like Zen could be an impediment. Or in other circumstances that might be an advantage.
This is perhaps the biggest impediment I find to maintaining a Nichiren practice. It just doesn't seem to have been 'translated' sufficiently at this point. I believe I read somewhere on this forum that there is a lot of good stuff, just that it's in Japanese. It's hard as hell to find anything online or even in online forums that isn't SGI. And I don't mean that as a dig against SGI, I just wish there were more diversity in dialogue and literature on Nichiren Buddhism. Zen, on the other hand, has a ton of academic material and resources to anyone interested.
The French Nichiren Buddhists also have amazing resources, and French is close enough to English that GoogleTranslate handles it with minimal scrambling.
Did not know this. I speak French so I'm going to have to look into it. Thanks for the heads up! :thanks:
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Public service announcement: Google Translate is sometimes very bad at French. Ne l'utilisez surtout pas pour des textes importants.
Namu Amida Butsu
markatex

Post by markatex »

It’s very difficult to learn Nichiren Shu outside of Japan without a relationship with the ministers, just because of the dearth of translated materials. It’s a lot better than it was when I started, for sure.

It takes money, and/or the assistance of publishers who are interested in Nichiren Buddhism, and we have neither of those things, unfortunately.
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:25 pm The French Nichiren Buddhists also have amazing resources, and French is close enough to English that GoogleTranslate handles it with minimal scrambling.
I presume this is one site you must be referring to: https://www.nichiren-etudes.net/

Although much of the material has been translated from english :-)

It should be noted that the site itself is not linked to the SGI, which is perhaps why there is so much material available.

Do you know of any other sites in french?
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

Shijo Kingo wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:46 am I've been in SGI for almost 2 years and it's been very beneficial to me. I've also read most of this forum and have learned a lot from you all.

I was a little surprised and very curious about the admissions of QQ, Minobu and Narwhal that they do other practices.
It is probably worth bearing in mind that the SGI has been strongly influenced by Nichiren Shoshu which has a rather extreme view of correct practice. Just because some people here don't practice in the way prescribed by the SGI does not necessarily mean that they are doing practices outside the Nichiren tradition.

It is also worth bearing in mind that Nichiren Shoshu has historically been a minor Nichiren sect.

Nichiren buddhism is a lot bigger than the SGI and Nichiren Shoshu. It is a pity the book 'Fire in the Lotus' is no longer in print as it helps give a much better perspective on this subject.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Minobu wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:19 pm
Queequeg wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 pm Practice for oneself and for others.
Well thats what Buddhism is all about eh !

Please do not think or get me wrong ..
Nichiren practice is very beneficial and appropriate for this time.

But...

He could not have produced it without the knowledge of other Buddhist teachings...

the ideas of chanting , mandala practice, etc. all came well before Tien Tai and Lotus Buddhism.

Even You!!! Q ! rely on other sutras and Buddhist teachings to teach...

there is stuff that needs to be done that just isn't even mentioned in Nichiren sects these days..or ever maybe...
Nichiren taught that some very few people attain enlightenment even through the provisional teachings and even in the Latter Day. The reason for this is that some very few people in Mappo had a very strong connection to the Lotus Sutra in previous lives. The problem is, how does one (and others) know whether they are enlightened? Nichiren stated we can't really know so chant the Daimoku and teach others the Daimoku regardless of their possible attainments. Of course, there is no enlightenment according to Nichiren unless one encounters the Three Obstacles and Four Devils while continuing the Buddhist faith and practice. Also, through the noble human behaviors of honesty, kindness, compassion, mercy, justice, forbearance, magnanimity, and protecting the teachings we can tell that the Noble Worlds are manifest, including the World of Buddha.

What makes a teaching supreme and therefore the adherent? Nichiren teaches that the higher the teaching the lower the capacity of the person who, by practicing the teaching, will attain Buddhahood. T’ien-t’ai stated, “The truer the teaching, the lower the stage [of those it can bring to enlightenment].”

Is it not true that the Tibetian teachings are not even taught to those with inferior capacity. In fact, the advanced teachings are kept secret until one has reached a certain stage. This proves that the Tibetian teachings are inferior according to Nichiren and Tientai.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

:rolleye: learn how to spell Tibetan.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Minobu wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:19 pm
Queequeg wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 pm Practice for oneself and for others.
Well thats what Buddhism is all about eh !

Please do not think or get me wrong ..
Nichiren practice is very beneficial and appropriate for this time.

But...

He could not have produced it without the knowledge of other Buddhist teachings...

the ideas of chanting , mandala practice, etc. all came well before Tien Tai and Lotus Buddhism.

Even You!!! Q ! rely on other sutras and Buddhist teachings to teach...

there is stuff that needs to be done that just isn't even mentioned in Nichiren sects these days..or ever maybe...
Can you site some examples?

Mark
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:22 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:20 pmThe twenty-four characters of Never Disparaging (Skt. Sadaparibhuta, JP. Fukyo)and the five characters of Nichiren are different in wording, but accord with the same principle.

-On the Buddha's Prophecy
I just stole that quote for SuttaCentral: https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/st ... n/11020/12
Excellent!

Mark
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Bois de Santal wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:32 pm
Shijo Kingo wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:46 am I've been in SGI for almost 2 years and it's been very beneficial to me. I've also read most of this forum and have learned a lot from you all.

I was a little surprised and very curious about the admissions of QQ, Minobu and Narwhal that they do other practices.
It is probably worth bearing in mind that the SGI has been strongly influenced by Nichiren Shoshu which has a rather extreme view of correct practice. Just because some people here don't practice in the way prescribed by the SGI does not necessarily mean that they are doing practices outside the Nichiren tradition.

It is also worth bearing in mind that Nichiren Shoshu has historically been a minor Nichiren sect.

Nichiren buddhism is a lot bigger than the SGI and Nichiren Shoshu. It is a pity the book 'Fire in the Lotus' is no longer in print as it helps give a much better perspective on this subject.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1852740914/?t ... tfn8o1wt_p
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

My questions:
1. What can other practices provide that Nichiren Buddhism cannot?
2. What are the benefits of having a Master?
3. Can chanting provide the same benefits as meditation?
1. None
2. Masters serve as models of our faith. Nichiren sometimes stated, the Lotus Sutra was his teacher and other times, Shakyamuni Buddha. If we are to embrace a Master (or Masters), it is my contention that we should embrace the the most enlightened Master(s), Nichiren Daishonin, Shakyamuni Buddha, and the Lotus Sutra.
3). Many more benefits if we are to believe the Lotus Sutra and Nichiren.

Mark
markatex

Post by markatex »

Shijo Kingo wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:46 am My questions:
1. What can other practices provide that Nichiren Buddhism cannot?
2. What are the benefits of having a Master?
3. Can chanting provide the same benefits as meditation?
1. Nothing. As has been mentioned, silent meditation is not outside the umbrella of Nichiren Buddhist practice, although it’s very, very auxiliary in our tradition.

2. Laypeople don’t have Masters, but a relationship with a priest is indispensable. You can learn a lot by reading, but it’s easy to get wrong ideas about things. It’s good to have spiritual mentors to help clear up confusion and serve as guides on the path.

3. Chanting is a form of meditation, but it’s also much more. The Daimoku is the seed of Buddhahood itself, and chanting it unlocks the innumerable merits of the Original Buddha’s practice and enlightenment.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Minobu wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:30 pm
I think Nichiren's teachings can only actually bring you so far...
Actually ignorance dictates the above statement.

It's like saying food can only bring you so far.

Nichiren is like the DAWN of a new age and He manifested a gateway to the world of Buddha.

I've been back practicing....why i keep quitting is a mystery...

but i do know this..i am a Bodhisattva of the Earth doing my best with and without the time of practicing.

As per this forum...i never stopped reading the Nichiren section....

Also i have come to the conclusion ....a visit to the gakki is in order....

they have the almost perfect way of incorporating practice and study into the daily lives of just about anybody..

Their way is infused with President Ikeda and it works....

This is a man right off the streets of bombed out Tokyo...he developed something that might not appear mystical but it does bring the Mystic to live in people's lives everywhere on the planet...

the Gakki warts and all..is a success story...and i know the Gohonzon protects them...

also if it wasn't for President Ikeda's break from shoshu...the world of Nichiren would never be as close as they are here on the forum...
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Nice to see you again, Minobu!

This is the Hotel California, bro.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Minobu, long time no mess with!!! great to see you back posting :)
dsaly1969

Post by dsaly1969 »

I highly recommend that folks stuck in their Nichiren practice doing some research into Tendai/Tientai writings to enrich what you are doing. I stopped a daily "Nichirenesque" practice and now have come back to it. I found a lot of "meat" to deepen my practices in the writings from Tendai Buddhism as well as Rissho Kosei-kai (especially "Buddhism for Today" by Niwano). My practice is very simple and streamlined - I chant O-Daimoku and also use O-Daimoku as a focus to settle into meditation (going from the samatha - focus before working on the vipassana - insight - use of ichinen sanzen is a great vehicle in the development of insight).

Technically I am a member of both SGI and Rissho Kosei-kai. RKK does not mind but I do not bring up my dual affiliations to local SGI folks. I know... heretic heretic...

Return to “Nichiren”