Etsy Gohonzon store: what do y’all think?

dharmapdx

Etsy Gohonzon store: what do y’all think?

Post by dharmapdx » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:26 pm

I’m a neutral observer here. No judgement on my part. The only reason I ask what others think of this, is because I’ve never seen this before. The owner of this shop seems to be a nice guy, and he says he is with Nichiren Shu. I suppose I’m a little surprised that a Nichiren Shu minister wouldn’t object to this. They are beautiful though.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShrineSpace

markatex

Re: Etsy Gohonzon store: what do y’all think?

Post by markatex » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Object to what? Just the fact that he sells them? Is he just selling them to anyone who wants one? I'm not sure I care for that, if that's the case, but there isn't much anyone can do about it.

Not all of what is on his site would be suitable honzons for a Nichiren practitioner, but that's neither here nor there.

dude

Post by dude » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:37 am

Some of the other ( than Fuji School) Nichiren sects are ok with selling gohonzon's without initiation so for them it's probably ok.
It wasn't ok per Taiseki Ji before the temple/gakkai split.
I wouldn't judge but I wouldn't mess with it either.

dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:44 am

markatex wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:10 pm
Object to what? Just the fact that he sells them? Is he just selling them to anyone who wants one? I'm not sure I care for that, if that's the case, but there isn't much anyone can do about it.

Not all of what is on his site would be suitable honzons for a Nichiren practitioner, but that's neither here nor there.

I guess it thought it was frowned upon to reproduce a gohonzon if you aren’t a minister or part of some lineage and have proper authority.

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:01 pm

It would be interesting to know the source of the gohonzon image, are other images offered- and how was the image printed ie, what is the stability of the ink, how will it age and so on.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:48 pm

"Hm."
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Return to “Nichiren”