Something I'm missing....

bcol01

Something I'm missing....

Post by bcol01 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:58 am

For the past few years, I've been feeling like something is missing in my life and since I no longer identify as a Christian (walked away years ago) I've sought after a reference point, something to lean on and to provide me with tools to live in a better way. No matter what other religion or philosophy I've embraced at one point or another, I always come back to Nichiren. I feel like chanting works (sometimes?) & this Buddhism allows me to be myself, whereas other religions tell me that who I am is wrong (being gay). Yet I'm barely practicing. Just not sure what to do.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Something I'm missing....

Post by Queequeg » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:16 pm

What are you looking for in terms of a "reference point"? What qualities does this reference point have? Can you describe them?
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:35 pm

If i may address the whole gay thing and religion.

The universe produced gay people for a reason....diversity...

what men write and say is true in the name of the universe is usually for control and to bolster their own warped views.

The basics of christianity are similar to the basic teaching of Buddha..

Jews know and teach reincarnation, Christ was a Rabbinical Jew who knew the whole Jewish tradition....what happened to the reincarnation fact..

Warped for power ...by telling people they get one chance at it...blah blah...

So much crappolla , look at the teachings of Nichiren...total confusion now envelopes various Schools at odds with each other...

i read you bcol01 , i see your pain and struggle...

frak em....live your life as the universe planned for you and enjoy every aspect of your life...

and chant Nam Myoho renge Kyo ....it's a slow healing process on so many levels...you feel it , you know it....relax and be happy you found The Way .

with love
d

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:03 pm

Not a Nichiren guy so feel free to delete my post (admins) or ignore it (bcol) but when we take refuge in a Buddha we are acknowledging that we too have the pure potential in us. We too can be just like Shakyamuni Buddha. This is a very important starting point. To start liking yourself and trusting yourself not to worship Buddha. Many other practices start the same way e.g. mettá. So gay or not there is one thing we all have to do and that is practice.

How old are you? Coming out can be quite a shock to oneself especially if family does not know it or has problems with the orientation. From my own gay experience I must say that it really does get better and sticking to practice can be an incredible help. Also never forget you are always free to explore various buddhist dharmas (pure land, zen, etc etc). Whatever helps you is the highest teachings for you.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:10 am

Miroku wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:03 pm
Whatever helps you is the highest teachings for you.
I was recalling one of my Teachers, Kalden Geshe La . what a beautiful sentient being...truly a Bohdisatva whose mere presence invoked Bodhicitta in me...

One day while sharing some food with Him , I was so pleased with myself that i knew the highest Teaching and It was indeed The Lotus Sutra... I wanted to show off to him about my knowledge.

So He turned to me and said yes the Lotus sutra ...thats way up there...Then He coyly asked me if i wanted to hear the Highest Buddhist teaching.

I recall His smile when looking at my reaction ..I was like..." Here it is...finnally !!!! I'm going to hear it.

So He says to me...The highest Teaching Hidden in the Lotus sutra is....(he paused for effect i guess)...The highest Teaching is what ever teaching is perfect for you ...They all are equal in the sense when you are ripened they appear for you....

i was so disappointed at this and He could tell...He said " Everyone in the west is looking for some magical Mantra...the highest mantra , the highest Teaching....When in fact there is no highest teaching except the one that is working for you and producing Bodhicitta in you."

It took years for me to come to terms with this and release myself from brainwashing....

I love you Geshe La...

here is a cool story told to me by Him and witnessed by someone in the room here in Toronto.

He had a townhouse in Edmonton where He taught from. One day a few , shall we say Western cowboys and cow girls invited Him on a picnic and to go fishing...

when they picked him up he did not know what the fishing rods were that were hung up in the truck's gun rack.

When they got to the river they were about to worm some hooks...He asked what they were going to do..Shocked to discover their meaning of fishing He said you cannot do this with me..You cannot put the worm on that !!!! And then catch fish with the hooks...He Freaked ...

They wondered what he thought fishing was and he said when he wasa boy the young monks would do it from time to time for fun.

Here is what He showed them.. You take some of the picnik and toss it in the water when you wade into it and call the fish...soon enough He was surrounded by fish and was stroking them...He called everyone in and all this hardcore western outdoors people , were petting fish in a river.

This woman who was there , she worked for the Centre , told me she was astonished as was everyone...

Beautiful Kalden Geshe La...thank you for everything.

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:21 am

For the past few years, I've been feeling like something is missing in my life and since I no longer identify as a Christian (walked away years ago) I've sought after a reference point, something to lean on and to provide me with tools to live in a better way....I feel like chanting works (sometimes?) & this Buddhism allows me to be myself, whereas other religions tell me that who I am is wrong (being gay).
Let's try this... some suggested strategies...
"What do you think, monks — Is feeling constant or inconstant?" "Inconstant, Lord."
"And is that which is inconstant easeful or stressful?" "Stressful, Lord."
"And is it fitting to regard what is inconstant, stressful, subject to change as: 'This is mine. This is my self. This is what I am'?" "No, Lord."

"Thus, monks, any feeling whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every form is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

Then Mara the Evil One, desiring to arouse fear, trepidation, and terror in the bhikkhuni Kisagotami, desiring to make her fall away from concentration, approached her and addressed her in verse:
Why now, when your son is dead,
Do you sit alone with tearful face?
Having entered the woods all alone,
Are you on the lookout for a man?

Then it occurred to the bhikkhuni Kisagotami: "Now who is this that recited the verse — a human being or a non-human being?" Then it occurred to her: "This is Mara the Evil One, who has recited the verse desiring to arouse fear, trepidation, and terror in me, desiring to make me fall away from concentration." Then the bhikkhuni Kisagotami, having understood, "This is Mara the Evil One.... 2
No matter what other religion or philosophy I've embraced at one point or another, I always come back to Nichiren.
Anyone who heard this teaching,
Either in the presence of a past buddha
Or after their parinirvāṇa,
Has certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

Of those hearing this Dharma
There will be no one
Who will not become a buddha.
The original vow of the buddhas
Was to cause all sentient beings to universally
Attain the very same buddha path
That I have practiced.

And those who are able to hear this Dharma
Are also hard to find.
They are just like the uḍumbara flower
Which appears only once in a very long while
And, beloved by all,
Is considered a wonder among devas and humans.

Those who, hearing this teaching,
Happily praise the buddhas
By uttering even a single word
Have already paid homage to all buddhas
Of the three periods.
Such people are even more extraordinary
Than the uḍumbara flower.
All of you, have no doubts!

“O Śāriputra! Seeing these things the Buddha thought:
Since I am the father of sentient beings I must rid them of their immeasurable suffering and distress.
I will cause them to rejoice through the immeasurable and limitless pleasure of the buddha wisdom.

I tell you, O Śāriputra:
All of you are my children,
And I am thus your father
Yet I'm barely practicing. Just not sure what to do.
What the Buddha went through back then...
"So it is, Ananda. So it is. Even I myself, before my Awakening, when I was still an unawakened Bodhisatta, thought: 'Renunciation is good. Seclusion is good.' But my heart didn't leap up at renunciation, didn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace. The thought occurred to me: 'What is the cause, what is the reason, why my heart doesn't leap up at renunciation, doesn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace?' Then the thought occurred to me: 'I haven't seen the drawback of sensual pleasures; I haven't pursued [that theme]. I haven't understood the reward of renunciation; I haven't familiarized myself with it. That's why my heart doesn't leap up at renunciation, doesn't grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace.'

"Then the thought occurred to me: 'If, having seen the drawback of sensual pleasures, I were to pursue that theme; and if, having understood the reward of renunciation, I were to familiarize myself with it, there's the possibility that my heart would leap up at renunciation, grow confident, steadfast, & firm, seeing it as peace.'

"So at a later time, having seen the drawback of sensual pleasures, I pursued that theme; having understood the reward of renunciation, I familiarized myself with it. My heart leaped up at renunciation, grew confident, steadfast, & firm, seeing it as peace.

I suppose it's time to seriously revisit The Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra that is, if this claim: ....I always come back to Nichiren... isn't a 'hollow' one...

Taken from the same work as above, THIS is what you were supposed to be doing as highlighted in bold BUT for the underlined part:
Three thousand ri to the east of China, there is a country called Japan. Some two hundred years after the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai passed away, he was reborn in this country and bore the name of the Great Teacher Dengyō. He then wrote a work entitled The Outstanding Principles of the Lotus Sutra in which he stated: “Neither teacher nor disciples need undergo countless kalpas of austere practice in order to attain Buddhahood. Through the power of the Lotus Sutra of the Wonderful Law they can do so in their present form.” Thus he made clear why the dragon king’s daughter was able to become a Buddha.

But hey, it's your life man. Ultimately, we are all the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.'

bcol01

Post by bcol01 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:24 am

I really appreciate your kind words of encouragement and your insight. Ty
Minobu wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:35 pm
If i may address the whole gay thing and religion.

The universe produced gay people for a reason....diversity...

what men write and say is true in the name of the universe is usually for control and to bolster their own warped views.

The basics of christianity are similar to the basic teaching of Buddha..

Jews know and teach reincarnation, Christ was a Rabbinical Jew who knew the whole Jewish tradition....what happened to the reincarnation fact..

Warped for power ...by telling people they get one chance at it...blah blah...

So much crappolla , look at the teachings of Nichiren...total confusion now envelopes various Schools at odds with each other...

i read you bcol01 , i see your pain and struggle...

frak em....live your life as the universe planned for you and enjoy every aspect of your life...

and chant Nam Myoho renge Kyo ....it's a slow healing process on so many levels...you feel it , you know it....relax and be happy you found The Way .

with love
d

illarraza

Post by illarraza » Mon May 06, 2019 4:04 am

bcol01 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:58 am
For the past few years, I've been feeling like something is missing in my life and since I no longer identify as a Christian (walked away years ago) I've sought after a reference point, something to lean on and to provide me with tools to live in a better way. No matter what other religion or philosophy I've embraced at one point or another, I always come back to Nichiren. I feel like chanting works (sometimes?) & this Buddhism allows me to be myself, whereas other religions tell me that who I am is wrong (being gay). Yet I'm barely practicing. Just not sure what to do.
"If someone seeking the buddha wisdom
for a period of eight hundred thousand million
nayutas of kalpas
should practice the five paramitas,
during all those kalpas
distributing alms to the buddhas
and to the cause-awakened ones and disciples
and the multitude of bodhisattvas,
rare delicacies of food and drink,
fine garments and articles of bedding,
or building religious retreats of sandalwood
adorned with gardens and groves;
if he should distribute alms
of many varieties, all refined and wonderful,
and do this for the entire number of kalpas
to express his devotion to the buddha way;
and if moreover he should keep the precepts,
in purity and without omission or outflow,
seeking the unsurpassed way,
praised by the buddhas;
and if he should practice forbearance,
remaining in a posture of submission and gentleness,
even when various evils are visited on him,
not allowing his mind to be roused or swayed;
when others, convinced they have gained the Law,
harbor thoughts of overbearing arrogance
and he is treated with contempt and vexed by them,
if he can still endure it with patience;
and if he is diligent and assiduous,
ever firm in intent and thought,
for immeasurable millions of kalpas
single-minded, never lax or neglectful,
for countless kalpas
dwelling in a deserted and quiet place;
and if he practices sitting and walking exercises,
banishing drowsiness, constantly regulating his mind,
and as a result of such actions
is able to produce states of meditation,
for eighty million ten thousand kalpas
remaining calm, his mind never deranged;
and if he holds to the blessing of this single-mindedness
and with it seeks the unsurpassed way,
saying, “I will gain comprehensive wisdom
and exhaust all the states of meditation!”
If this person for a hundred, a thousand,
ten thousand, a million kalpas
should carry out these meritorious practices
as I have described above,
still those good men and women
who hear me describe my life span
and believe it for even a moment
win blessings that surpass those of such a person." -- LS Chapter 17

"Ajita, if there are living beings who, on hearing that the life span of the Buddha is of such long duration, are able to believe and understand it even for a moment, the benefits they gain thereby will be without limit or measure. Suppose there are good men or good women who, for the sake of anuttara-samyak-sambodhi, over a period of eight hundred thousand million nayutas of kalpas practice the five paramitas - the paramitas of dana (almsgiving), shila (keeping of the precepts), kshanti (forbearance), virya (assiduousness) and dhyana (meditation), the paramita of prajna being excepted - the benefits they obtain will now measure up to even a hundred part, the thousandth part, a hundred, thousand, ten thousand, millionth part of the benefits mentioned previously. Indeed, it is beyond the power of calculation, simile or parable to convey the comparison. For good men who have gained such benefits as those [mentioned previously] to fall back without reaching the goal of anuttara-samyak-sambodhi is utterly unimaginable."

Please note that the Lotus Sutra above teaches that the merits of a person with one moment of belief in the life span of the Buddha (Namu Myoho renge kyo) is equal to practicing the "five paramitas"(or practices) for immeasurable kalpas. But there are Six Paramitas and the paramita of prajna (wisdom) is excepted. Why is the paramita of wisdom (prajna) excepted? The Paramita of Wisdom (or Buddha Wisdom) is that which gives rise to Myoho renge kyo.

Be pleased to be without anxiety, so great is one moment of belief in the Lotus Sutra, particularly Namu Myoho renge kyo and the One Chapter and Two Halves (the latter half of Chapter 15, Chapter 16, and the first half of Chapter 17). Faith is first and foremost. Your merit and benefits are immeasurable.

Mark

Return to “Nichiren”