Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

illarraza
Posts: 699
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:30 am

Re: Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

Post by illarraza » Wed May 22, 2019 1:48 am

dude wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 am
hopefullotus wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:59 pm
While I wouldn't go so far as to say certain *religions* would be banned or that *buddhadharma* specifically is the last best hope, I actually have considered writing such a statement to officials here that the dignity of life and inherent worth of each person (which is the heart of the Lotus Sutra) is the last, best hope for humanity and that any teaching that goes counter to that should be banned (read: fundamentalism of any religion probably).

Minobu, we do live in harsh times too - now with very different forms of violence. It would be nice if the loyalty weren't lost...
I love your spirit :smile:

But times have changed in seven centuries. We've done away with kings and emperors, but all state power now derives from the people, so the people themselves are, collectively, the sovereign.
Of course human dignity is the last best hope for the world, which makes propagation of Nichiren Buddhism) at this turbulent time so necessary, difficult as it may be. But I doubt that the buddha would advocate banning other teachings in this more reasonable age. Maybe to forbid the government to promote them, as our laws do...
Truthfully, so teaches Daisaku Ikeda. The reality:

The Laws, regulations, standards of conduct, etc. are, for the most part, composed and enforced from the top down, here and everywhere. "Enlightened" compassionate leaders create an harmonious and peaceful society while unenlightened brutal despots bring ruin to the people. In China, for example, those in power promote the leader without market forces coming into play [until after the leader is chosen, for example, if the standard of living of the people declines and the people become too restless, the leader's rule may be of short duration]. Here, you are right, the market decides. But if the market is corrupt (steeped in Anger, Avarice, and Stupidity), so will be the leader. It might take thousands of years to convert enough people to be able to wisely choose an enlightened leader, and an enlightened leader can move a billion people in a positive direction. We don't have thousands of years. Therefore, the SGI false teaching that the people are sovereign is, at best, pie in the sky and, at worst, a cause to decelerate the establishment of a peaceful society. It might only take an hour, a day, a week, or a month, to convert one wheel turning king such as Trump, Putin, or Xi.

Mark

illarraza
Posts: 699
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:30 am

Re: Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

Post by illarraza » Wed May 22, 2019 1:56 am

Queequeg wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:45 am
illarraza wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 am
Yavana wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:52 am


Try writing the present day oligarchs about how support for Buddhadharma is the last, best hope of Earth, publically proclaim that we'd be better off if certain religions were banned and their leaders were beheaded, and declare that adherents to the dominant religion are barking up the wrong tree and bound for hell, and see if you don't get a violent response...

You'll make it onto a dissident watchlist at the very least.
I did that in a letter I wrote to Bill Clinton when he was president. As far as I know, they (the USA government) never retaliated. How would you know if you are on a watch list?

Mark
Did you get a response? Did it include an envelope for you to send in a donation to the Clinton Foundation?

I think you can file a FOIA with the FBI and other federal agencies. If you travel internationally, you might get an idea if you're hassled at immigration on your return.
I received an email form response which thanked me for my for letter. No envelope for the Clinton Foundation.

Mark

illarraza
Posts: 699
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:30 am

Re: Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

Post by illarraza » Wed May 22, 2019 2:06 am

hopefullotus wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:31 pm
I was reading the Three Kinds of Treasure gosho yesterday and was moved by the powerful declarations Nichiren has towards Shijo Kingo such as,

"If you should fall into hell for some grave offense, no matter how Shakyamuni Buddha might urge me to become a Buddha, I would refuse; I would rather go to hell with you. For if you and I should fall into hell together, we would find Shakyamuni Buddha and the Lotus Sutra there. It would be as if the moon were illuminating the darkness, as if cold water were pouring into hot, as if fire were melting ice, or as if the sun were dispelling the darkness."

I am not suggesting that they were sexually or romantically involved but they seem to have a really intense/passionate relationship regardless. Nichiren speaks to few other of his disciples in the same way; though there are some. He always speaks genuinely but with Kingo it seems... extra?

It is a beautiful relationship to me in any case and I was wondering if others had thoughts on their relationship or other quotes or resources that may highlight the nature of it.
Who was Shijo Kingo? by Rev. Tetsujo Kubota

Shijo Kingo Yorimoto

Yorimoto (Shijo Kingo), who at age twenty-seven had heard the preaching of Nichiren Shonin on the street corners of Kamakura, entered the faith of Lotus Sutra about the first year of the Kogen era, or 1256, and thereafter repeatedly visited the Matsubagayatsu hermitage of Nichiren Shonin to receive the teaching.

In the fifth month of the eighth year of Bun'ei (1271) Yorimoto's wife requested an amulet for a safe birth from Nichiren Shonin and he was overjoyed:

"Both husband and wife are keepers of the Hokke (Lotus Sutra). A child like a jewel who inherits the seed of spreading the Lotus Sutra will be born. How auspicious I think it is!"

Subsequently on hearing the news of a safe birth he sent congratulations:

"What you desired has been [fulfilled] like the tide coming in, like flowers opening in the spring." (STN, v. 1, 485) and bestowed the name "Lady Tsukimaro". On the twelfth day of the seventh month of the same year Yorimoto sent by messenger a peck of white rice, a tube of oil, and a donation of one string of cash as offerings for the Obon Festival.

The Saint at once wrote a letter of thanks and explained the reason for the Obon or Urabon:

"Now 'Urabon' arose from the fact that when the woman called 'Lady Shodai', the mother of the Venerable Mokuren (Maudgalyayana), fell to the Way of the Hungry Ghosts for five hundred lives because of the karma of greed Mokuren rescued her."

With this opening line he was praising Yorimoto for deep filial feeling:

"In particular the Holy Soul Myoho [commemorated] on the twelfth day of this month was a practicer of the Hokekyo, a lay donor to Nichiren. How could she fall to the Way of the Hungry Ghosts?

Certainly she will be be before Shakya, Taho, and the Buddhas of the Ten Directions: with one mind these very ones will be praising and rejoicing and stroking her head. And she will say to the Buddha Shakya 'Oh, what an excellent son I have!'" (STN, v. 1, 495)

Yorimoto receiving this heartfelt letter was overjoyed. Somewhat later, Nichiren Shonin praised the depth of Kingo's filial respect:

'"Concerning your filial nurture of your father and mother. Beyond your repeated letters, in your letter of today the tears did not stop either. Ah, your sadness when you lament, 'Are my father and mother in hell?'." (STN, v. 2, 1185)

"And concerning your lordship's late father and mother, I appeal to Heaven, 'The Saemonnojo laments too much.' Certainly the reasons are before the Buddha Shakya." (STN, v. 2, 1394)

On the twelfth day of the ninth month of the same year (1271) Nichiren Shonin was arrested and was to have his head cut off at Tatsunokuchi. Yorimoto and his brothers hearing the report at once came to accompanythe Saint. When at last they came to the execution ground at Tatsunokuchi Yorimoto wept in spite of himself: "Now we must part."

The Saint said, "Irresolute sirs! Smile at a joy such as this!"

Fortunately his head was not cut off but if he had been beheaded, Yorimoto had been resolved to be martyred and accompany him in death. Nichiren Shonin rejoiced at his faith and praised him:

"Now then, I cannot express how inconceivable it is that at the persecution on this twelfth day past the fact you came along as far as Tatsunokuchi and, not only that, you said you would disembowel yourself." (STN, v. 1, 504)

Thereafter any number of times he praised his determination to be martyred at the time of the Tatsunokuchi incident. To mention one example, in a letter six years afterward in the third year of Kenji
(1277) he also says:

"What I truly do not forget now is that when I was about to have my head cut off, you came along, holding the horse's bit, weeping in sorrow: in what world could I ever forget that? Even if you enter hell because your sins are deep, even though the Buddha Shakya invites me, 'How about becoming a Buddha?', I would not take Him up on it. I would be in hell the same as [you]. If I, Nichiren, and you enter hell, would not the Buddha Shakya and the Hokekyo also be in hell?" (STN, v. 2, 1394)

If you fall to hell, Nichiren also will go with you. At that time both Lord Shakya and the Hokekyo will go into hell: could such a thing be? It could not. When the Saint was exiled to Sado, Yorimoto sent messengers any number of times to inquire after him and deliver things for his daily needs as well as offerings of money. In the second monthof the ninth year of Bun'ei (1272) the Saint composed "On Opening the Eyes" (Kaimoku sho ). This work, written with the fervor that

"Nichiren has inconceivably survived" was entrusted to Yorimoto's messenger. He let his kindred spirit Yorimoto, who had accompanied him in life and death, be the very first to read this important letter. In the fourth month of the same year at last Yorimoto himself visited Sado and met with the Saint. Nichiren thanked his wife Nichigennyo for the feelings that brought her husband to Sado and taught her about the state of live of husband and wife:

"Woman is like the wisteria and man like a pine tree: They never stand upright if they are apart for a moment. Your generosity in sending this personage in such a disordered worid when you lack even a dependable servant is greater than the great earth and the Earth Deity would certainly know it." (STN, v. 1, 633)

"The character 'anna' we read 'kakaru' (hang upon). Even as the wisteria hangs upon the pine and woman upon man, now take the Saemonnojo as your teacher and let yourself be led to the Hokekyo ." (STN, v. 1, 857)

Already about this time Yorimoto was whole-heartedly urging faith in the Lotus Sutra to those around him. Nichiren Shonin encouraged him:

"You likewise follow Nichiren and speak as a practicer of the Hokekyo. How could this not be transmission? Hold fast to the mind of faith in the Hokekyo. If you strike flint halfheartedly, no fire results. Put forth the power of fervent great faith and be extolled, 'Shijo Kingo, Shijo Kingo of the Hokke Sect', in the mouths of the myriad people above and below in Kamakura and even of all the beings in the country of Japan. (STN, v. 1, 637)

Here Nichiren emphasizes the oneness of faith of husband and wife like "the sun and moon, two eyes, a pair of wings: instruct your lady carefully on this."

Even after the Saint entered Minobu Yorimoto made offerings of things for the Daishonin's daily needs and money. In the ninth month of the eleventh year of Bun'ei (1274) Yorimoto remonstrated face to face with his lord Ema Mitsutoki to embrace the faith of Lotus Sutra. Because Mitsutoki was a devoted believer in the priest Ryokan, he would not listen and shunned Yorimoto. Associates jealous of Yorimoto and colleages who were not friendly towards him took advantage of this stroke of fortune to slander him to his lord. Hearing this report, Nichiren Shonin wrote a reply in which he said:

"It is a noble thing to bring this doctrine to your lord's hearing. Now he will not listen but you have avoided the sin of complicity (the sin of overlooking blasphemers against the Dharma). From now on please hold your longue, And Heaven also will certainly protect your lordship."

"Those who hate you will try to get you more and more. Completely stop your drinking parties at night. How could you be dissatisfied with just drinking with your lady? You should not be off guard regarding the others' daytime drinking parties. Apart from sake there could be no occasion to get you." (STN, v. 1, 834)

He lovingly counseled his kindred spirit Yorimoto like a beloved younger brother: 'Those who hate you are going after you. Please stop your drinking fests with acquaintances at night. Is there anything unsatisfactory with drinking with your wife? You must not be remiss at daytime drinking parties at others' houses." In the first month of the eleventh year of Bun'ei (1274) the Saint instructed Yorimoto's wife:

"The more all people hate you, as long as the Buddha Shakya, the Buddha Taho, the Buddhas of the Ten Directions and so on to the God Brahma, the Emperor Shakra, the Sun and the Moon and so on take pity on you, what is sorrowful? As long as one is praised by the Hokekyo what sorrow would there be......

However, Lord Saemon among the laity in Japan is a believer in the Hokekyo without parallel. You who are matched with this one are the foremost woman in Japan. Because of the Hokekyo the Buddha would think of you as the Dragon Girl herself." (STN, v. 1, 857) He encouraged her: though you are bad mouthed and maligned for believing and spreading the Hokekyo, would you not be pitied by the Buddha Shakya? Your husband is the unparallelled believer in the Lotus Sutra in Japan and you, his wife, are the foremost woman in Japan. Make your mind of faith firm.

It is amazing that I have propagated the teaching with all my strength and when a wife enters the faith her husband necessarily enters the faith. However, when a wife remains opposed even though the husband enters the faith, in many cases the faith is gradually weakened. The power of women is great. And because of that, the Saint gave strict guidance to women.

In the third month of the same year he instructed her to be faithful for life:

"There are many who hear and receive this Sutra. Though great difficulties come as if they truly hear and receive, those who 'keep it mind and do not forget it'* are few. Receiving is easy; keeping is difficult. So attaining Buddhahood lies in keeping. The persons who shall keep this Sutra keep it with the understanding that they shall encounter difficulties. There is no doubt that they 'then will quickly obtain the Supreme Buddha Way.'**" (STN, v. 1, 894)

"Keep it mind and do not forget it' means that they take it to heart and do not forget: a phrase of the Sutra of Contemplating the Bodhisattva Fugen (T.390a). "Then he will quickly obtain the Supreme Buddha Way': from the "Chapter of Jewelled Stupa" 11 (T.9.34b: Kempon Hokke Seiten, p. 98)

Rev. Tetsujo Kubota

August 1997

User avatar
Yavana
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

Post by Yavana » Wed May 22, 2019 7:30 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:45 am
I think you can file a FOIA with the FBI and other federal agencies. If you travel internationally, you might get an idea if you're hassled at immigration on your return.
If the Feds give you an attempted exile/death by paperwork, just walk back across one of the borders. Bring some rope in case you encounter some "fencing." Here's a manual: Spanish original, English text translation.



If anyone else crossing asks, your name is something "Waldemar Lenin Salvatierra." Affect a 1000 yard stare, tell them you were in the Guatemalan civil war and leave it at that...

hopefullotus
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 am

Re: Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

Post by hopefullotus » Sat May 25, 2019 6:41 pm

illarraza wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:48 am
dude wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 am
hopefullotus wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:59 pm
While I wouldn't go so far as to say certain *religions* would be banned or that *buddhadharma* specifically is the last best hope, I actually have considered writing such a statement to officials here that the dignity of life and inherent worth of each person (which is the heart of the Lotus Sutra) is the last, best hope for humanity and that any teaching that goes counter to that should be banned (read: fundamentalism of any religion probably).

Minobu, we do live in harsh times too - now with very different forms of violence. It would be nice if the loyalty weren't lost...
I love your spirit :smile:

But times have changed in seven centuries. We've done away with kings and emperors, but all state power now derives from the people, so the people themselves are, collectively, the sovereign.
Of course human dignity is the last best hope for the world, which makes propagation of Nichiren Buddhism) at this turbulent time so necessary, difficult as it may be. But I doubt that the buddha would advocate banning other teachings in this more reasonable age. Maybe to forbid the government to promote them, as our laws do...
Truthfully, so teaches Daisaku Ikeda. The reality:

The Laws, regulations, standards of conduct, etc. are, for the most part, composed and enforced from the top down, here and everywhere. "Enlightened" compassionate leaders create an harmonious and peaceful society while unenlightened brutal despots bring ruin to the people. In China, for example, those in power promote the leader without market forces coming into play [until after the leader is chosen, for example, if the standard of living of the people declines and the people become too restless, the leader's rule may be of short duration]. Here, you are right, the market decides. But if the market is corrupt (steeped in Anger, Avarice, and Stupidity), so will be the leader. It might take thousands of years to convert enough people to be able to wisely choose an enlightened leader, and an enlightened leader can move a billion people in a positive direction. We don't have thousands of years. Therefore, the SGI false teaching that the people are sovereign is, at best, pie in the sky and, at worst, a cause to decelerate the establishment of a peaceful society. It might only take an hour, a day, a week, or a month, to convert one wheel turning king such as Trump, Putin, or Xi.

Mark
I actually agree with Mark here. The idea that the people are sovereign is a false idea. The top and the corrupt and the greedy make and push their agendas.

However, I don't think this is an SGI problem - it's just a general society problem. And SGI fails to be radical enough to call out the corrupt. Which frustrates me since I see my Jewish and Muslim friends working really hard against injustice while SGI folks are not supposed to unite (as SGI members at least) for these reasons. Which honestly, I get it - change the individual and we can change society.

I do believe in that and I do think this Buddhism is very useful in combating the three poisons.

narhwal90
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

Post by narhwal90 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:11 pm

Who says SGI members should not unite with others as our respective conscience suggests? I volunteer at nearby a Catholic parish church. At first they were curious, I told them I am Buddhist and that was it. Since we're busy helping the folks in the parish, points of doctrine simply don't arise- in fact watching them engage in a community that in many ways has very little in common with the church anymore has taught me a lot about compassion in action. I also see the community return the favor- one of our regulars saved one of the church members from a mugging; he happened to be passing by, saw what was happening and told the guy to get lost and that was that.

hopefullotus
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 am

Re: Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

Post by hopefullotus » Mon May 27, 2019 11:29 pm

narhwal90 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:11 pm
Who says SGI members should not unite with others as our respective conscience suggests? I volunteer at nearby a Catholic parish church. At first they were curious, I told them I am Buddhist and that was it. Since we're busy helping the folks in the parish, points of doctrine simply don't arise- in fact watching them engage in a community that in many ways has very little in common with the church anymore has taught me a lot about compassion in action. I also see the community return the favor- one of our regulars saved one of the church members from a mugging; he happened to be passing by, saw what was happening and told the guy to get lost and that was that.
Oh no, I totally get that. We can do whatever on our own time, volunteer, give to charity, etc. I do that.

But we can't do it officially as SGI. Like we don't organize SGI trips to food banks or homeless shelters or protest. The most we do like that is participate in Pride. But I don't think that's enough, personally. Just my opinion!

narhwal90
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

Post by narhwal90 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:55 pm

So recruit some folks in your district and go as a group- no need to wait for leaders to do or say anything. Don't need to get a bus to find suffering, theres plenty just outside your door no matter where you live. Personally I'm not into marches or sign carrying, my place is out in front of the pantry counter helping folks manage their bags of food. It is my honor to be right there & look them in the eyes, smell the BO, alcohol, see the track marks and unwashed clothes, the despair, hope and humor, shake hands if offered and over time get to know them a bit.

User avatar
Yavana
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

Post by Yavana » Tue May 28, 2019 12:46 am

If y'all hit up the "Chanting Growers" group maybe some of those guys could be mobilized for your causes.

:thumbsup:

hopefullotus
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 am

Re: Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

Post by hopefullotus » Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 am

narhwal90 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:55 pm
So recruit some folks in your district and go as a group- no need to wait for leaders to do or say anything. Don't need to get a bus to find suffering, theres plenty just outside your door no matter where you live. Personally I'm not into marches or sign carrying, my place is out in front of the pantry counter helping folks manage their bags of food. It is my honor to be right there & look them in the eyes, smell the BO, alcohol, see the track marks and unwashed clothes, the despair, hope and humor, shake hands if offered and over time get to know them a bit.
I see what you're saying! Good points.

hopefullotus
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 am

Re: Nichiren's relationship with Shijo Kingo?

Post by hopefullotus » Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 am

Yavana wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:46 am
If y'all hit up the "Chanting Growers" group maybe some of those guys could be mobilized for your causes.

:thumbsup:
Will look it up! Thanks.

Post Reply

Return to “Nichiren”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests