Clear diagram of Chinese characters on Gohonzon?

Post Reply
dharmapdx
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:54 am

Clear diagram of Chinese characters on Gohonzon?

Post by dharmapdx » Thu May 23, 2019 4:07 am

I’m looking for a diagram of the Gohonzon in clearly printed Chinese characters. You see, I recently came upon a Nittatsu Gohonzon, and it means a lot to me that I can actually read the clearly written characters “na-mu-myo-ho-renge-kyo” down the center. I thought it would be great to be able to read the entire Gohonzon at some point. Basically, I’m looking for a clearer version of what is below. Thanks.
Attachments
625F1399-2E82-4AEE-BCE3-0DFCC361225E.gif
625F1399-2E82-4AEE-BCE3-0DFCC361225E.gif (160.91 KiB) Viewed 376 times

narhwal90
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Clear diagram of Chinese characters on Gohonzon?

Post by narhwal90 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:34 pm

There are 2 coffeehouse pages that might help;

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/nic ... index.html

and

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/nic ... u/037.html

If you're inclined to spend some money on it, the Mandala Workshop books go into the gohonzon design elements in great detail, including a census of the "notables" from all available Nichiren gohonzons and how the selection varied over time.

dharmapdx
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:54 am

Re: Clear diagram of Chinese characters on Gohonzon?

Post by dharmapdx » Thu May 23, 2019 5:28 pm

narhwal90 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:34 pm
There are 2 coffeehouse pages that might help;

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/nic ... index.html

and

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/nic ... u/037.html

If you're inclined to spend some money on it, the Mandala Workshop books go into the gohonzon design elements in great detail, including a census of the "notables" from all available Nichiren gohonzons and how the selection varied over time.
Thank you.

Do you know which one pertains to the Nittatsu?
https://nichirenmandala.weebly.com/bookstore.html

narhwal90
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Clear diagram of Chinese characters on Gohonzon?

Post by narhwal90 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Given the Nittatsu design is modern i dont think the Mandala books would cover it directly otoh the design elements common to all are covered in great detail- the Mandala books cover Nichiren's gohonzons and those from a selection of the 1st few generations of his lineages.

i bought the black and white 3 volume edition, its a quality piece of work.

Besides the common elements many obscure variations are detailed, including citations of the more famous forgeries.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 8145
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Clear diagram of Chinese characters on Gohonzon?

Post by Queequeg » Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 pm

dharmapdx wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:07 am
I’m looking for a diagram of the Gohonzon in clearly printed Chinese characters. You see, I recently came upon a Nittatsu Gohonzon, and it means a lot to me that I can actually read the clearly written characters “na-mu-myo-ho-renge-kyo” down the center. I thought it would be great to be able to read the entire Gohonzon at some point. Basically, I’m looking for a clearer version of what is below. Thanks.
That is about as clear script as you'll find. You looking for one in some typeface font?
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

dharmapdx
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:54 am

Re: Clear diagram of Chinese characters on Gohonzon?

Post by dharmapdx » Fri May 24, 2019 2:33 am

Queequeg wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 pm
dharmapdx wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:07 am
I’m looking for a diagram of the Gohonzon in clearly printed Chinese characters. You see, I recently came upon a Nittatsu Gohonzon, and it means a lot to me that I can actually read the clearly written characters “na-mu-myo-ho-renge-kyo” down the center. I thought it would be great to be able to read the entire Gohonzon at some point. Basically, I’m looking for a clearer version of what is below. Thanks.
That is about as clear script as you'll find. You looking for one in some typeface font?
Yes, exactly. Thanks.

bluzzo
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:24 am

Re: Clear diagram of Chinese characters on Gohonzon?

Post by bluzzo » Sun May 26, 2019 4:36 am

I don't think it is clearer, but here is a diagram and explanation of the Nittatsu Gohonzon. https://udumbarafoundation.org/files/GO ... -20172.pdf

dharmapdx
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:54 am

Re: Clear diagram of Chinese characters on Gohonzon?

Post by dharmapdx » Mon May 27, 2019 6:46 am

bluzzo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:36 am
I don't think it is clearer, but here is a diagram and explanation of the Nittatsu Gohonzon. https://udumbarafoundation.org/files/GO ... -20172.pdf
Thank you. 🙏🙏🙏

Post Reply

Return to “Nichiren”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests