Split from When the Monks Met the Muslims

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Split from When the Monks Met the Muslims

Post by Queequeg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:32 pm

Well, didn't exactly want to say anything, but felt that in full disclosure my perspective should be clear, since I suppose it has changed a little since before.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:58 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:08 pm
Well I suppose I did invite that...

I should probably say - I no longer consider myself Nichiren Buddhist.

I offer my comments only to the extent that this is stuff I know from a long period of study.
Is it serious you don't consider yourself Nichiren Buddhist ? What happened ? Which teaching are you following so ? Could you tell us ?

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:09 pm

Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

illarraza

Post by illarraza » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi QQ. We have been conversing off and on since around 1995. Why don't you try practicing as Nichiren, performing a predominantly forceful (shakubuku) practice. Then your tome on the life and land of Nichiren will be complete: You will be so assailed by the Three Obstacles and Four Devils (as was Nichiren) that you will experience the World of Nichiren's Buddhahood first hand. I fear you will call me presumptuous but I'm sure that I, at least, helped to convince you to leave the Soka Gakkai. I was so happy when I found out you had left despite your parents as SGI pioneers and leaders. I am convinced, as was Nichiren, that mixing of practices leads to Avici Hell. Please reconsider.

Mark

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:06 pm

illarraza wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:50 pm
I am convinced, as was Nichiren, that mixing of practices leads to Avici Hell. Please reconsider.
Why would the Buddha teach the Lotus Sūtra if not practicing it exclusively would lead to hell? Most beings on this planet do not practice the Lotus Sūtra exclusively. Most Buddhists, let alone beings, are not practicing the Lotus Sūtra exclusively. Why would the Buddha introduce into the world so dangerous a dharma as something that would lead most beings to hell for not worshipping it? That sounds like an Abrahamic deity to me, who is petty enough to take offence at a lack of pūja, in act or in mind, an bestow an allegedly eternal damnation. If mixing of practices leads to Avīcinaraka, it seems to be that the only conclusion, extreme it might be, is that when the Buddha undertook the application of his wondrous and varied skillful means to spread the dharma in multitudinous ways to multitudinous beings in multitudinous conditions, to opened a door to the deepest pits of hell, a door marked specially for his students, his children. The doctrines of the Buddha are gates to hell, the Buddha speaks: "Come. Enter this flaming house, my children." That seems to be what you are saying.

The Buddha is omniscient of the three times, including the third, the yet to be. He knows the degeneration of the ambrosia of immortality he offers and the era of that degeneration. He knows that wicked era will last far longer than the illuminated era when the saddharma flows undiluted. Why does he open a door to hell and bid, "Enter," for the increasings of the sufferings of his children? He could have chosen not to open it. A bodhisattva would choose not to open the gate of hell.

That is why I can't really believe you.
歸命本覺心法身常住妙法心蓮臺本來莊嚴三身徳三十七尊住心
城遠離因果法然具普門塵數諸三昧無邊徳海本圓滿還我頂禮心諸佛

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:33 pm

I deeply revere Nichiren's teachings, but also have my reasons for setting them aside. I do not think I can adequately convey how difficult this decision is for me. I am not interested in discussing my views publicly online. If someone wants to talk to me about this, they'll have to come seek me out in the real world.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

Return to “Nichiren”