Personal Note to the Nichiren Forum

Queequeg
Former staff member

Personal Note to the Nichiren Forum

Post by Queequeg »

I, Nichiren, am not the founder of any school, nor am I a latter-day follower of any older school. I am a priest without precepts, neither keeping the precepts nor breaking them. I am an ordinary creature like an ox or a sheep, who is neither particularly wise nor ignorant.
-Nichiren, Myōmitsu Shōnin goshōsoku 妙密上人御消息, The Blessings of the Lotus Sutra
When one is studying the Lotus Sutra, unless one also studies the sutras that were preached prior to it, one can never hope to understand its true significance.

-Nichiren, Ichidai shōkyō taii 一代聖教大意, The Meaning of the Sacred Teachings of the Buddha’s Lifetime
As a daily religious practice, one should recite the daimoku, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Those persons who are able to do so should further recite a verse or a phrase of the Lotus Sutra. As a supplementary practice, if one wishes, one may offer praise for Shakyamuni Buddha, Many Treasures Buddha, or the Buddhas of the ten directions, for all the various bodhisattvas or the persons of the two vehicles, the heavenly beings, the dragon deities, or the eight kinds of nonhuman beings [who protect Buddhism]. Since we live in an age when there are many uninformed people, there is no need for believers to attempt at once to practice the meditation on the three thousand realms in a single moment of life, though if there are persons who wish to do so, they should learn how to practice this type of meditation and carry it out.
-Nichiren, Shōhokke daimoku shō 唱法華題目抄, On Reciting the Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra

In the intervening years since Nichiren appeared in Japan, factors originating within the community and outside the community have converged to establish a clearly demarcated Nichiren School which is in turn divided into sects and sub-schools.
Household life is confining, a dusty path. The life gone forth is like the open air. It is not easy living at home to practice the holy life totally perfect, totally pure, like a polished shell. What if I were to shave off my hair and beard, put on the ochre robes, and go forth from the household life into homelessness?
-Shakyamuni Buddha, Samannaphala Sutta

While I'm not taking up the path of the renunciate, those lines have rung true to me since I first read them. "Life gone forth is like the open air."

In seeking the meaning of Myohorengekyo, I've sought people who could explain it to me. I've never found anyone so far who could. It seems the ones who could, are dead. And so, I take the counsel of the sages to heart:
The perfect-and-sudden [method of practicing cessation-and-contemplation] involves taking the true aspects [of reality] as the object from the very beginning. Whatever is made to be the object [of contemplation], it is the Middle; there is nothing that is not truly real. [When one attains the state of contemplation wherein] reality itself (dharmadhatu) is fixed as the object [of contemplation], and thoughts are integrated with reality itself, [then one realizes that] there is not a single color or scent that is not the Middle Way. It is the same for the realm of the individual, the realm of Buddhas, and the world at large. All [phenomena experienced through] the aggregates (skandha) and senses (ayatana) are thusness; therefore there is no [substantial] suffering that needs to be removed. Since ignorance (avidya) and the exhausting dust [of passionate afflictions (kleša)] are indivisible with bodhi-wisdom, there is no origin [of suffering; i.e., craving] to be severed. Since the extreme [dualities] and false [views] are [indivisible with] the Middle and what is right, there is no path to be cultivated. Since [this cyclic world of] samsara is [indivisible with] nirvana, there is no extinguishing [of craving] to be realized. Since suffering and its causes do not exist [substantially], there is no mundane world [to be transcended]; since the path and the extinction [of craving] do not exist [substantially], there is no transcendent world [to be gained]. There is purely the single true aspect [of reality-as-it-is]; there are no separate things outside this true aspect. For things in themselves (dharmata) to be quiescent is called samatha; to be quiescent yet ever luminous is called vipasyana. Though earlier and later [stages] are spoken of, they are neither two nor separate. This is called perfect-and-sudden cessation-and-contemplation.
-Guanding, Introduction, Mohezhikuan, The Great Samatha and Vipasyana

Myohorengekyo is the True Aspect itself, and in Myohorengekyo I take refuge. I listen to teachings as I encounter them, however they appear to me, consider them, and take or leave them as they seem conducive to the path. This path has taken me beyond the confines of the Nichiren School as it is now. I'm not inclined to share more about my path, and I don't think it really matters.

I'm sharing this only because over the years, people who have found me here in this forum have thanked me for what I've written here and how that has supported their own paths. I don't want my remark about no longer identifying as one thing or another to cause any discouragement for others. My path now is in no way a rejection of anything in my past - it has led me here and so it could not be any other way.

We all follow the Buddha's counsel, "All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

Anyways, I'm here at DW for now. Catch you on the road.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
tkp67

Re: Personal Note to the Nichiren Forum

Post by tkp67 »

I deeply thank you for all your support in strengthening my practice and your integrity to the practice. I do not doubt the integrity in your decision, for yourself or others. You inspire my practice with this decision because I do not doubt is out of your integrity and capacity to understand them.

Thank you, thank you very much you will not be impermanent in my mind.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:24 pmI'm not inclined to share more about my path, and I don't think it really matters.
It's Jediism, isn't it???

:spy: :meditate: :jedi:

jedi jedi parajedi parasaṁjedi bodhi svāhā!

Wishing you the best.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Just kidding.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I owe Q a debt of gratitude for being the impetus to send me off into the sutras, to get serious. My daily practice is Nichiren but I read & study all over the place these days.
dude

Post by dude »

I too wish the extend my deep gratitude.
This community is a vital part of the "flow of kosen rufu...never allow it to cease."
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Hey, I'm still here. :) And will keep participating here as long as I'm still at DW.
I'm grateful to all the participants in this forum. I consider you all my good friends.

Indeed, may Myoho flow for ever.
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

I’m confused. What’s going on? 🤷‍♂️
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Nothing really. Just explained this:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=31529#p498445
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:22 pm Nothing really. Just explained this:

Would it be possible for you to briefly and succinctly explain why you are no longer a Nichiren Buddhist? Your explanation seems very interesting, but in all honesty it is over my head.

Naturally, it is quite a shock that you are no longer a Nichiren Buddhist. My understanding is that you grew up in the tradition….
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

dharmapdx wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:16 am
Queequeg wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:22 pm Nothing really. Just explained this:

Would it be possible for you to briefly and succinctly explain why you are no longer a Nichiren Buddhist? Your explanation seems very interesting, but in all honesty it is over my head.

Naturally, it is quite a shock that you are no longer a Nichiren Buddhist. My understanding is that you grew up in the tradition….

Agree, dharmapdx. Q could tell us the reason he thinks Nichiren buddhism is not enough for him. With his reflections we could learn.
markatex

Post by markatex »

He said he doesn’t want to say more about it and I’ll choose to respect that. I think he already shared the gist of it.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

I've already busted this wide open. He's a Jedi now. Case closed.

:buddha1: :jedi:

I'm wondering if he had any certain layings on of hands from a certain teacher(s) representing a certain abhiṣeka from a certain set of ten-directional Buddhas at a certain 10th bhūmi, but if such were the case he could not say anyways.

So, clearly he's a Jedi.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

:jedi: :alien:
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

Caoimhghín wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:55 am I've already busted this wide open. He's a Jedi now. Case closed.

:buddha1: :jedi:

I'm wondering if he had any certain layings on of hands from a certain teacher(s) representing a certain abhiṣeka from a certain set of ten-directional Buddhas at a certain 10th bhūmi, but if such were the case he could not say anyways.

So, clearly he's a Jedi.
Maybe a top secret esoteric path :lol:
dude

Post by dude »

These decisions can be difficult.
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

markatex wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:23 pm He said he doesn’t want to say more about it and I’ll choose to respect that. I think he already shared the gist of it.
I can respect it too. But if you aren't going to mention it … then why mention it? :shrug:

It’s just a bit confusing is all. Why mention it but not mention it, and why continue to post here if this no longer pertains to you?

No judgment. Just wondering. (And kind of shocked.)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

dharmapdx wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:05 am
markatex wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:23 pm He said he doesn’t want to say more about it and I’ll choose to respect that. I think he already shared the gist of it.
I can respect it too. But if you aren't going to mention it … then why mention it? :shrug:

It’s just a bit confusing is all. Why mention it but not mention it, and why continue to post here if this no longer pertains to you?

Explained here.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=31529&start=20#p498533

I post here for the same reason I posted before.

I believe the circle has been closed.
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:18 pm
dharmapdx wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:05 am

Explained here.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=31529&start=20#p498533

I post here for the same reason I posted before.

I believe the circle has been closed.
You know I love you, dude. But, man, this is ponderous. 🤔

You know what … I’m just going to pretend to myself this never happened and you’re still a practicing Nichiren Buddhist.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Sorry to butt in, but the conversation is interesting.

I realize Nichiren is a "closed system" in some ways...but I have to say, half the SGI people I've known over the years I know because they also did other Buddhist stuff from time to time, how that would be received in their own communities I have no idea.

I must ask, can't one be a devoted followed of the Lotus Sutra without necessarily identifying oneself as a "Nichiren Buddhist"?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Nichiren”