Why is Buddhism so elitist and cliquey?

Arjan Dirkse

Re: Why is Buddhism so elitist and cliquey?

Post by Arjan Dirkse » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:45 pm

Honestly I think most religious groups have their elitist and cliquey aspects, but also aspects - or people - who are more open to making connections across traditions.

Most religious teachings claim to be the "one true teaching". Rare is the preacher who says to the flock, sure, you can go to the other guys, they are as good or better than what I teach.

Shiva

Post by Shiva » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:27 pm
Caoimhghín wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:20 pm
Five vehicles? That's just too many. It's like the 52-something grounds of the bodhisattva in Tiāntāi. I used to think tantra was excessive because of their ten or so extra grounds after the ground of the cloud of dharma, but boy was I surprised to find that 52 or 42 number.
Generally, three, actually. Thirteen bhumis. In Dzogchen, sometimes, 16 bhumis are discussed. And in some anuyoga presentations, there are 21 bhumis. However, in general, there are only thirteen bhumis in Vajrayāna, generally speaking.

In terms of vehicles, in common Mahāyāna there are only śrāvaka, pratyekabuddha, and bodhisattva vehicles, no fourth or fifth.
In Lotus traditions there is actually only one vehicle - Buddhayana, or Ekayana, otherwise known as Mahayana.

I don't know if the terminology lines up, but the Lotus is not considered Common Mahayana. Common Mahayana probably lines up with the description Malcolm presents. There are two other forms of Mahayana identified by Zhiyi - Distinct Teachings and Perfect Teachings. Lotus is considered Perfect Teaching.

As for the 42 or 52 stages, this is from Avatamsaka Sutra and another sutra I can't remember the name of offhand, respectively.
Indeed there is just one vehicle in Nichiren Buddhism. The Buddha Vehicle; equivalent to the Tibetan Dzogchen.
Gassho,

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:54 pm

Shiva wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:39 pm
one vehicle in Nichiren Buddhism. The Buddha Vehicle; equivalent to the Tibetan Dzogchen.
:stirthepot:

People love their schemata.
歸命本覺心法身常住妙法心蓮臺本來莊嚴三身徳三十七尊住心
城遠離因果法然具普門塵數諸三昧無邊徳海本圓滿還我頂禮心諸佛

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:17 pm

Shiva wrote:
Queequeg wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:27 pm

Generally, three, actually. Thirteen bhumis. In Dzogchen, sometimes, 16 bhumis are discussed. And in some anuyoga presentations, there are 21 bhumis. However, in general, there are only thirteen bhumis in Vajrayāna, generally speaking.

In terms of vehicles, in common Mahāyāna there are only śrāvaka, pratyekabuddha, and bodhisattva vehicles, no fourth or fifth.
In Lotus traditions there is actually only one vehicle - Buddhayana, or Ekayana, otherwise known as Mahayana.

I don't know if the terminology lines up, but the Lotus is not considered Common Mahayana. Common Mahayana probably lines up with the description Malcolm presents. There are two other forms of Mahayana identified by Zhiyi - Distinct Teachings and Perfect Teachings. Lotus is considered Perfect Teaching.

As for the 42 or 52 stages, this is from Avatamsaka Sutra and another sutra I can't remember the name of offhand, respectively.
Indeed there is just one vehicle in Nichiren Buddhism. The Buddha Vehicle; equivalent to the Tibetan Dzogchen.
Equivalent? In what sense?
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:39 pm

Consider though, oneness is its own "dharma of enumeration," to borrow a turn of phrase. When we have lists of prominent "ones," be that one vehicle, one Buddhatva, or even when we merely have the pervasive long-cast shadow of other prominent onenesses, like One God, One Faith, One Nation, One Emperor, etc., we can sometimes view "one" as something like the default number that things can be said to be in. One universe, one big bang, one heat death, one endless nothing. This is a bit abstract, my apologies.

When we take that there is "one Buddha vehicle," and further maybe have this lead to "X tantra and Y non-tantra are one," then why is it not necessarily true that "X sect that practices bodhisattvayāna and Y śrāvaka sect are one?" And if we don't consider this to at least maybe be a problematic suggestion, having only read a bit of Venerable Nichiren's writings, I wonder if he would be eager to say that "Pure Land Buddhism and Nichiren Buddhism are one?" There are ways things can be one while also not being one. For instance, from a non-ekayāna view, if the emptiness that is penetrated to by Realizers of the many vehicles is "one" in that it can be said to be the same, why is this oneness not further reflected in the fruits of that realization necessarily? From an ekayāna view, why are there Arhats? Why isn't Arhatva more expedient, receiving direct instruction from a Buddha in a Pure Land after a lifetime of performable austerity*, than the practicing of the six perfections? These aren't unanswerable questions. They have answers.

Inquiry: in the Arhat's past lives the causes and conditions for being subject to embodiment necessarily ought to have been eradicated, in light of this they dwell where to perfect buddhahood?

Response: when attaining arhatship, the three realms' myriad outflows' causes and conditions are exhausted, there is no more birth again in the three realms. There is a pure buddha land, beyond the three realms, where not even the word affliction has a name, in this kingdom of the Buddha, they hear the Dharma Flower Sūtra [i.e. the Lotus Sūtra], with this they perfect Buddhahood. As in the Dharma Flower Sūtra's words: "There are arhantaḥ, for example, who’ve not heard the Dharma Flower Sūtra,themselves they call 'ones who have attained cessation'; I in another realm for them speak this matter, that you all shall become samyaksaṁbuddhāḥ."
(Mahāprajñāpāramitopadeśa T1509.714a9)
Thus you say that you have passed beyond all pain,
But from the sorrows of saṃsāra only are you free.
You have not yet transcended every misery;
The Buddha's highest vehicle you should now pursue.
(Saddharmapuṇḍarīkasūtra)

Until the state of buddhahood is gained,
The state beyond all sorrow is not reached;
Likewise with its light and beams removed,
The sun alone we could not see.
(Mahāyānottaratantraśāstra)

The Arhat Śrāvakāḥ,
Till the Buddhāḥ call them,
Rest in wisdom bodies,
Drunk on concentration.

Roused, they take on various forms,
And work with love for beings' sake,
Merit and wisdom gathered in,
They reach the awakening of buddhahood.
(Bodhicittavivaraṇa)
(all three citations from Venerable Khenpo Kunzang Palden's The Nectar of Mañjuśrī's Speech)

How truly foundationally imbedded are various Buddhisms' sectarianisms? Because it is within the notion of "the sect" that there is "the elite" necessarily, I would say, and within the notion of "those outside the sect" lies "the clique," in my opinion.
Last edited by Caoimhghín on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:42 pm

Shiva wrote:

All Tibetan Buddhist schools are ekayāna schools. It is standard Indian Mahāyāna. The discussion of three vehicles is from the point of view of bodhicitta of the aspirant-- the very real fact that there are people who prefer to become arhats, and eschew, for various reasons, entering the bodhisattva path with Mahāyāna bodhicitta. They prefer the inferior bodhicitta of śrāvakas and pratyekabuddhas for this and that reason.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:16 pm

Caoimhghín wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:39 pm
Consider though, oneness is its own "dharma of enumeration," to borrow a turn of phrase. When we have lists of prominent "ones," be that one vehicle, one Buddhatva, or even when we merely have the pervasive long-cast shadow of other prominent onenesses, like One God, One Faith, One Nation, One Emperor, etc., we can sometimes view "one" as something like the default number that things can be said to be in. One universe, one big bang, one heat death, one endless nothing. This is a bit abstract, my apologies.

When we take that there is "one Buddha vehicle," and further maybe have this lead to "X tantra and Y non-tantra are one," then why is it not necessarily true that "X sect that practices bodhisattvayāna and Y śrāvaka sect are one?" And if we don't consider this to at least maybe be a problematic suggestion, having only read a bit of Venerable Nichiren's writings, I wonder if he would be eager to say that "Pure Land Buddhism and Nichiren Buddhism are one?" There are ways things can be one while also not being one. For instance, if the emptiness that is penetrated to by Realizers of the many vehicles is "one" in that it can be said to be the same, why is this oneness not further reflected in the fruits of that realization necessarily? These aren't unanswerable questions. They have answers.

How truly foundationally imbedded are various Buddhisms' sectarianisms? Because it is within the notion of "the sect" that there is "the elite" necessarily, I would say, and within the notion of "those outside the sect" lies "the clique," in my opinion.
I think you constructed a misunderstanding and then proceeded from that basis.

Oneness in the Lotus Ekayana sense also implies the Three Vehicles, which could also be Immeasurable Vehicles. One implication of Ekayana is that all are destined for Buddhahood, eventually, even if some choose to take a rest in "phantom cities" or take a frolicking path full of diversions far afield or even if they are utterly lost and don't know if they're coming or going. These are metaphors and shouldn't be read too deeply, but I trust they convey the gist.

If you're talking about Nichiren Buddhism, then I suggest you're probably not talking about anything Nichiren taught. IMHO, Nichiren Buddhism is some conjuration of those who came later with their various formulations and degrees of insight with the intention of carrying out Nichiren's teachings. The success they achieve is up for debate. As far as Nichiren, he would not consider Honen's teachings compatible with his, not because they don't lead to Buddhahood, but because he said the door to Ekayana here and now was closed. I'm not going to recount his critiques. If people are interested, Nichiren's writings are easily accessible.

Here is the thing I've observed about Ekayana schools: they maintain that there is a direct path that can be traversed now and that awakening is imminent at all times. Everything else, any path that is not the direct path, is dawdling about, wasting time, wasting opportunity.

What various Ekayana schools think is the direct path, they seem to have their different approaches. If Ekayana is misunderstood, if a definition along the lines you propose is accepted, then you end up with "Ekayana" schools asserting their absolute exclusive superiority. That should signal, that's not authentic Ekayana. I think if Ekayana is properly understood, the practitioner could care less about those claims. The only thing that matters is whether they're following the direct path. How does one know if they are on the direct path? There is plenty of guidance in the teachings the Buddha and others have left on evaluating progress.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:21 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:16 pm
Caoimhghín wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:39 pm

When we take that there is "one Buddha vehicle," and further maybe have this lead to "X tantra and Y non-tantra are one," then why is it not necessarily true that "X sect that practices bodhisattvayāna and Y śrāvaka sect are one?" And if we don't consider this to at least maybe be a problematic suggestion, having only read a bit of Venerable Nichiren's writings, I wonder if he would be eager to say that "Pure Land Buddhism and Nichiren Buddhism are one?" There are ways things can be one while also not being one. For instance, if the emptiness that is penetrated to by Realizers of the many vehicles is "one" in that it can be said to be the same, why is this oneness not further reflected in the fruits of that realization necessarily? These aren't unanswerable questions. They have answers.

I think you constructed a misunderstanding and then proceeded from that basis.

Oneness in the Lotus Ekayana sense also implies the Three Vehicles, which could also be Immeasurable Vehicles.
Well, maybe I misunderstood, but when I wrote, "These aren't unanswerable questions. They have answers," and "There are ways things can be one while also not being one," I meant to imply with the quotes beneath that, to use your words, this "Oneness [...] also implies the Three Vehicles." So either way we all arrived eventually at the same place. I don't know a lot about Nichiren Buddhism, you're quite right on that though.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:24 pm

you added the quotes in a subsequent edit.
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:48 pm

The dangers of taking too long to finalize, alas.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 pm

yeah, its always a gamble whether to edit or post a follow up with the clarification.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:01 pm

Queequeg wrote:

Here is the thing I've observed about Ekayana schools: they maintain that there is a direct path that can be traversed now and that awakening is imminent at all times. Everything else, any path that is not the direct path, is dawdling about, wasting time, wasting opportunity.
Well, this basically amounts to saying that if you have jaundice and you want to stop seeing everything white as yellow, you just need to cure the jaundice. [sudden path logic]

But curing jaundice takes time, and different patients need different treatment protocols. [gradual path logic]

Saying jaundice is perfect and nothing needs to be done about it is nihilist logic.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:27 pm

Hah! :applause: Excellent.
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:31 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:01 pm
Queequeg wrote:

Well, this basically amounts to saying that if you have jaundice and you want to stop seeing everything white as yellow, you just need to cure the jaundice. [sudden path logic]

But curing jaundice takes time, and different patients need different treatment protocols. [gradual path logic]

Saying jaundice is perfect and nothing needs to be done about it is nihilist logic.
Since we're in a E. Asian sub, particularly a Nichiren sub, its appropriate to bring up the dumbed down interpretations of Original Enlightenment that fit that nihilistic logic. Then there are approaches that say, well, nothing to be done about that jaundice except to die and look forward to a new, perfect, indestructible body...

I'm not sure if that description of Sudden Path lines up with what I understand it to be. Sudden Path would be taking a carefully prepared tincture and being instantly cured.

What I've found myself considering is the interplay between Sudden and Gradual like following the side of a mobius strip. Just my own thoughts.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:35 pm

The diamoku represents the LS including the buddha of the ten directions past present and future. What means is not present in this scenario?

It is meant to perfectly fit capacity, conditions and causes of all sentient beings by making all teachings available in one. ALL BUDDHA ALL DIRECTIONS ALL TIMES.

The seeming enigma is while Nichiren judges all teachings he forces them to be recognized. It isn't an enigma it is equanimity so perfect our minds struggle replicating it.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:45 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:31 pm

I'm not sure if that description of Sudden Path lines up with what I understand it to be. Sudden Path would be taking a carefully prepared tincture and being instantly cured.
Carefully preparing a tincture takes a lot of time...just saying. Meanwhile, the patient is still sick.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:46 pm

tkp67 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:35 pm
The diamoku represents the LS including the buddha of the ten directions past present and future. What means is not present in this scenario?
I don't think you really want me to answer this one.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:52 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:46 pm
tkp67 wrote:
All words are sufficient teachers as are all products of the mind, so please be my guest.

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:03 pm

I am not Malcolm obviously, but I will say that there is more than one way to read a text like the Lotus Sūtra, and some ways have Buddhist tradition informing them and some are novel readings, which isn't to say this or that isn't true.

For instance, the term "the buddha of the ten directions past present and future" isn't an epithet of any Buddha in the Lotus Sūtra AFAIK. The expression is plural, Buddhas of the Ten Directions or Ten-Directional Buddhas. Similarly, the Buddhas of the Three Times, although the LS could list them (past, present, future), I can't search the text right now. When I'm not on my phone I can point some of this out better.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:13 pm

tkp67 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:52 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:46 pm
tkp67 wrote:
All words are sufficient teachers as are all products of the mind, so please be my guest.
The list is too long.

Return to “Nichiren”