Should a person be embarrassed for leaving Buddhism just to realize it's the truth and return?

KathyLauren

Re: Should a person be embarrassed for leaving Buddhism just to realize it's the truth and return?

Post by KathyLauren » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:29 am

No reason for embarrassment. It sounds like progress to me.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

bcol01

Re: Should a person be embarrassed for leaving Buddhism just to realize it's the truth and return?

Post by bcol01 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:33 am

Ty. Can you elaborate though?

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:02 am

The Buddha himself taught not to accept teachings just because other people tell you too, but to experiment and see for yourself what's true and what isn't.
It sounds to me that's exactly what you've done.

dude

Post by dude » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:14 am

Good heavens, no. For so, so, many of us it's been our karma to quit for one reason or another only to find that you can never get away from the gohonzon, and then get back to work on things. I think whether we stop practicing and start again later or not, we have to at some point confront our doubts. A lot of people who quit and start again end up forging a much stronger faith than they did before. The only thing that matters is what you do from this moment on.

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:24 am

Don’t quit take a break because worries can literally damage your health.
Make personal vows.

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:04 am

I am not embarrassed because leaving Buddhism had been exactly the right practice at the right time and place.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:16 pm

The buddha never condemned delusion, he was far too compassionate. Instead he worked to liberate those who suffered from delusion without bias against it. If your heart is telling you to return perhaps the seeds sown are taking root. I suggest treating the issue and all involved with deep compassion.

dude

Post by dude » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:26 am

The seeds do take root. Eventually; even in those who at first oppose it.

I've been around for a while. I've seen a lot of people take faith for a time and then let it fade out or walk away from it completely. I would hear "Isn't that too bad" but I always thought of the phrase in the sutra : one who practices this sutra even for a short time will gladden me and all other buddhas.

Return to “Nichiren”