What are your thoughts on this comment regarding the Lotus Sutra?

bcol01

What are your thoughts on this comment regarding the Lotus Sutra?

Post by bcol01 »

What if St. Augustine or somebody else in the 4th or 5th cty. had written a gospel
with the message that the earlier gospels were merely provisional?

You will find exactly the same message in the Heart Sutra, the Diamond Sutra, the Garland Sutra … "this Sutra is the greatest, ignore everything that you have read so far anywhere else". This kind of textual one-upmanship was standard practice among the early Mahāyāna Sutra writers, just part of their brand-building strategy. So there's nothing to see here. Also, something like the Diamond Sutra is not earlier than the Lotus Sutra, but a few centuries later. Thus, by your logic, it declares the Lotus Sutra provisional.
Minobu

Re: What are your thoughts on this comment regarding the Lotus Sutra?

Post by Minobu »

bcol01 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:32 pm What if St. Augustine or somebody else in the 4th or 5th cty. had written a gospel

You will find exactly the same message in the Heart Sutra, the Diamond Sutra, the Garland Sutra … "this Sutra is the greatest, ignore everything that you have read so far anywhere else". This kind of textual one-upmanship was standard practice among the early Mahāyāna Sutra writers, just part of their brand-building strategy. So there's nothing to see here. Also, something like the Diamond Sutra is not earlier than the Lotus Sutra, but a few centuries later. Thus, by your logic, it declares the Lotus Sutra provisional.
well this is a real humdinger
I see you have been busy
this would be a great question in Mahayana section.
drop the st augustine part , people just turn off and focus on that and say this is not a christian site..but reword it and post it in mahayana section..
narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 »

My take on it is the sutras point to the dharma but are not it. If you are looking for the ultimate teaching in which to reside you will probably be searching for a long time. OTOH it might be productive to read those other sutras, see how meaningful they are to you in terms of practice; meaning, what changes they suggest your own conduct of body, speech, mind- try them, and then, if necessary, form your own conclusions.

Personally I'm in the middle of the Diamond Sutra and commentaries, probably Flower Garland after that since Nichiren references it on various occasions.
Shoho

Post by Shoho »

Just a short reply. I will delve go more in depth soon.
The lotus sutea for mappo is the sandaihiho.
If one wants an explanation of the lotus sutra they can read the chuhokkekyo (注法華経), Nichirens annotated copy of the lotus sutra.
Gassho
Shoho
‘Do you really know what you know you know?’
Daevid Allen-Gong
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Who knew this was all down to the Dharmakaya...

the timing just seems a lil off to us commoners..but to the immortals..meh whats a few centuries inbetween Sutras.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Shoho wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:27 pm Just a short reply. I will delve go more in depth soon.
If one wants an explanation of the lotus sutra they can read the chuhokkekyo (注法華経), Nichirens annotated copy of the lotus sutra.
Gassho
Shoho
you sound a little verklempt..
may i ask what is Nichiren Shonin's anointed copy...you can't just drop a bombshell like that and say cya soon...your soon hurts..
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

narhwal90 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:29 pm If you are looking for the ultimate teaching in which to reside you will probably be searching for a long time.
I recall when i got to know Kalden Geshe La ..I wanted to impress him one day and started to talk about the Lotus sutra..

He looked at me and went "Oh the Lotus Sutra........short pause......Thats a real high up there Sutra.....

Then he asked me this.....Do you want to know the highest teaching.....

I nearly died...here it comes ...this Geshe , this man that has like a phd in buddhism is about to tell me.....this is the man when i took my first Green Tara initiation weekend ...i felt an orgasm ...Which Rinpoche later told me was just purification.....and i felt this incredible compassion for all beings...it wore off and the next time I saw Geshe La i asked him why it wore off....

He said the fact i felt it was good...and that is all that matters ...it's a lesson.....something to work on ....

anyway back to the gasp..i am about to be told what the highest teaching is....So he is like looking at me with real joy cause he sees that i am like flabbergasted at the moment...again he asks do you want to know what the highest teaching is....

The highest teaching , which is in the Lotusa sutra and what the Lotus sutra is all about ....is there is no highest teaching...what ever teaching that you are learning from at this moment is the highest teaching for you...so there is no highest teaching , for they all are the highest teachings...

i don;'t know how He came to that conclusion...maybe the three carts and one vehicle deal...

also the night of the Initiation i awoke in the middle of the morning to see a huge Green Comet fly in the night sky outside this puny window...the bedroom window was all covered except for about 9 inches high by 16 inches wide approximately...next day it was in the news that if was seen along a great distance..i awoke from a deep sleep at the exact moment ...and my window had a narrow amount to see through...incredible...
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Some Christians would consider Judism itself provisional although Paul says pretty much the same thing as Nichiren relative to Abrahamic religion of course.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

tkp67 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:58 am Some Christians would consider Judism itself provisional although Paul says pretty much the same thing as Nichiren relative to Abrahamic religion of course.

listen up mr. make another thread..take it to another forum.
Shoho

Post by Shoho »

Minobu wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:15 am
Shoho wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:27 pm Just a short reply. I will delve go more in depth soon.
Gassho
Shoho
you sound a little verklempt..
may i ask what is Nichiren Shonin's anointed copy...you can't just drop a bombshell like that and say cya soon...your soon hurts..
It is Nichirens hand written copy of the ls with his explanations of the meanings of the sutra. His will said that when the senior priests went to minobu for their turn they were to study it.
Example:
{1-001} 大経云。薩者名具足義。』
{1-002} 《 》欲聞具足道。
{1-003} 無依無得大乗四論玄義記云。沙者訳云六。胡法以六為具足義也。[文]
Gassho
Shoho
Daevid Allen-Gong
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Gassho
Shoho
there is no original document and the earliest "copy" is dated 1442 .

here is a translation though...stuff in it makes one see where a lot of Nichiren stuff comes from..

so much questions about authenticity ...so many things and documents are questionable...

why?
translation
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Minobu wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:58 am
Gassho
Shoho

here is a translation though...stuff in it makes one see where a lot of Nichiren stuff comes from..

so much questions about authenticity ...so many things and documents are questionable...

why?
translation

is this the document or letter they use in order to make sure everyone knows Nikko Shonin is the True Successor..
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Gassho
Shoho
cannot find anything google about the chuhokkekyo . Are you sure you are spelling it correctly, and can you find me a link?
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

bcol01 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:32 pm What if St. Augustine or somebody else in the 4th or 5th cty. had written a gospel

No. Because the contents of the Lotus Sutra, its message, its intent, and its transmission is completely different than any other of the eighty-four thousand teachings.

Only in the Lotus Sutra does Shakyamuni Buddha cast off his provisional identity and reveal that he attained enlightenment in gohyaku jitengo

Only in the Lotus Sutra, it is taught that we all have the Buddha-nature and we can all attain Buddhahood, including persons of the two vehicles who were previously barred from attaining enlightenment. This was the case even in the Flower Garland Sutra ("Kegon-kyo"), the second highest teaching.

Only in the Lotus Sutra is it taught that the three bodies or the three enlightened properties are unified in a single Buddha

Only it the Lotus Sutra, is the law bequethed to Bodhisattva Jogyo and all other Bodhisattvas of the Earth for erternal propagation in the ten thousand years and eternity of the Latter Day of the Law. Nowehere else contains the prediction of the advent of the votary of the Lotus Sutra, who will dispel the darkness of all mankind and lead them to enlightenment (Nichiren Daishonin).

The reason the other sutras are "provisional" or "expedient means" is not simply because this sutra declares it so. It is because its contents and intent is entirely different.

the provisonal Mahayana sutras are taught from the standpoint of "teachings in accordance with the peoples' capacities"

The Lotus Sutra is taught from the standpoint of "teachings in accordance with the Buddha's own mind"

Other sutras begin with Shariputra asking Shakyamuni Buddha a question, however in the Lotus Sutra, Shakyamuni Buddha addressed Shariputra directly, on his own accord. This signifies, the Buddha is preaching his true teaching, based on his own mind.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo is the original seed that enabled all Buddhas of the three existences and the ten directions to enlightenment. This law is found hidden in depths of the Juryo Chapter of the Lotus Sutra, and in no other sutra.

Regarding the point about other sutras such as the Sutra of Golden Light and the Heart Sutra declaring themselves "the king of sutras" or "this Sutra is the greatest, ignore everything that you have read so far anywhere else," Nichiren Daishonin himself adresses this point in "Questions and Answers on Embracing the Lotus Sutra" ("Jimyo hokke mondo sho"),

Question: What you have just said may apply to the commentaries of the teachers. But what about the sutras preached before the Lotus Sutra that state, “This is the foremost sutra” or “This is the king of sutras”? If one were to go by what you have said, then one would have to reject these pronouncements, which are the words of the Buddha himself. Is this not so?

Answer: Although these earlier sutras may include such statements as “this is the foremost sutra” or “this is the king of sutras,” they are all nevertheless provisional teachings. One should not rely on such pronouncements. The Buddha himself commented on this point when he said, “Rely on sutras that are complete and final and not on those that are not complete and final.” And the Great Teacher Miao-lo stated: “Though other sutras may call themselves the king among sutras, there is none that announces itself as foremost among all the sutras preached in the past, now being preached, or to be preached in the future. Thus one should understand them according to the principle of ‘combining, excluding, corresponding, and including.’” This passage of commentary is saying in essence that even if there should be a sutra that calls itself the king of sutras, if it does not also declare itself superior to those preached before it and those to be preached after, then one should know that it is a sutra belonging to the expedient teachings.

(Gosho, p. 300)
You can read the gosho in full here : http://www.buddhistcentre.net/gosho/vol ... _05_02.php
Last edited by _johnarundel_ on Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Minobu wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:58 am

why?
translation
The gosho "Sandai Hiho Sho" or "On the Transmission of the Three Great Secret Laws" is not the only gosho that details the "sandai hiho" or Three Great Secret Laws.

It is detailed in "The Essentials of the Lotus Sutra" ("Hokke shuyo sho") and "Repaying Debts of Gratitude" ("Ho'on Sho").Originals of these documents exist.

Concerning the authenticity of "Sandai Hiho Sho" it has been debated for some conisderable time. However, a 1992 computer study showed that it was most likely Nichiren Daishonin's writings.

There is nothing in the "Sandai Hiho Sho" that is at all contrary to Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

I appreciate your insight. Are you a Nichiren Buddhist?
_johnarundel_ wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:05 am

No. Because the contents of the Lotus Sutra, its message, its intent, and its transmission is completely different than any other of the eighty-four thousand teachings.

Only in the Lotus Sutra does Shakyamuni Buddha cast off his provisional identity and reveal that he attained enlightenment in gohyaku jitengo

Only in the Lotus Sutra, it is taught that we all have the Buddha-nature and we can all attain Buddhahood, including persons of the two vehicles who were previously barred from attaining enlightenment. This was the case even in the Flower Garland Sutra ("Kegon-kyo"), the second highest teaching.

Only in the Lotus Sutra is it taught that the three bodies or the three enlightened properties are unified in a single Buddha

Only it the Lotus Sutra, is the law bequethed to Bodhisattva Jogyo and all other Bodhisattvas of the Earth for erternal propagation in the ten thousand years and eternity of the Latter Day of the Law. Nowehere else contains the prediction of the advent of the votary of the Lotus Sutra, who will dispel the darkness of all mankind and lead them to enlightenment (Nichiren Daishonin).

The reason the other sutras are "provisional" or "expedient means" is not simply because this sutra declares it so. It is because its contents and intent is entirely different.

the provisonal Mahayana sutras are taught from the standpoint of "teachings in accordance with the peoples' capacities"

The Lotus Sutra is taught from the standpoint of "teachings in accordance with the Buddha's own mind"

Other sutras begin with Shariputra asking Shakyamuni Buddha a question, however in the Lotus Sutra, Shakyamuni Buddha addressed Shariputra directly, on his own accord. This signifies, the Buddha is preaching his true teaching, based on his own mind.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo is the original seed that enabled all Buddhas of the three existences and the ten directions to enlightenment. This law is found hidden in depths of the Juryo Chapter of the Lotus Sutra, and in no other sutra.

Regarding the point about other sutras such as the Sutra of Golden Light and the Heart Sutra declaring themselves "the king of sutras" or "this Sutra is the greatest, ignore everything that you have read so far anywhere else," Nichiren Daishonin himself adresses this point in "Questions and Answers on Embracing the Lotus Sutra" ("Jimyo hokke mondo sho"),

Question: What you have just said may apply to the commentaries of the teachers. But what about the sutras preached before the Lotus Sutra that state, “This is the foremost sutra” or “This is the king of sutras”? If one were to go by what you have said, then one would have to reject these pronouncements, which are the words of the Buddha himself. Is this not so?

Answer: Although these earlier sutras may include such statements as “this is the foremost sutra” or “this is the king of sutras,” they are all nevertheless provisional teachings. One should not rely on such pronouncements. The Buddha himself commented on this point when he said, “Rely on sutras that are complete and final and not on those that are not complete and final.” And the Great Teacher Miao-lo stated: “Though other sutras may call themselves the king among sutras, there is none that announces itself as foremost among all the sutras preached in the past, now being preached, or to be preached in the future. Thus one should understand them according to the principle of ‘combining, excluding, corresponding, and including.’” This passage of commentary is saying in essence that even if there should be a sutra that calls itself the king of sutras, if it does not also declare itself superior to those preached before it and those to be preached after, then one should know that it is a sutra belonging to the expedient teachings.

(Gosho, p. 300)
You can read the gosho in full here : http://www.buddhistcentre.net/gosho/vol ... _05_02.php
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg »

The Buddha in the Lotus teaching does not teach that all other teachings should be ignored, or, as far as I know, does he teach anything like that in any other sutra. Let's be clear about this: The Buddha never taught that any one teaching should be embraced to the exclusion of all else. In fact, he counseled against embracing anything exclusively to the exclusion of all else when actual knowledge is not attained. Once one knows, one knows, and there is no uncertainty. Until then, one is not safeguarding the truth if they declare, "this is true, all else is false", when they don't actually know this to be the case. See Canki Sutta.

Honen taught that it was too difficult to attain enlightenment in this life through the teachings left by the Buddha, particularly in Mappo, and so he taught faith focused exclusively on Amitabha to seek rebirth in his land, Sukhavati. Nichiren paraphrased Honen adding the gloss that Honen said ignore all the teachings except Amitabha's vow to save people. Without parsing the rhetoric and fact checking it, Nichiren himself did not say ignore all other teachings. He said all the teachings, from the moment of Shakyamuni's enlightenment under the Bodhi tree until his parinirvana, all of them composed a single sutra. He did teach that one should not be confused about the relative merits. How he determines the relative merits - that's another story. I'll punt on that discussion.

Basically, the Lotus is considered the highest teaching for the reason Minobu's lama told him there is no highest teaching, but rather, whatever teaching is drawing you along the path is the highest teaching.

That's actually what the Buddha explains in the Lotus Sutra. The Lotus is where the Buddha draws back the curtain and tells the assembly what he's actually up to.

He says, "No, this one really is the ultimate teaching!" And then he goes on to explain his whole life, from his conception to that day on Vulture Peak was all an expedient he engaged in to teach beings according to their capacities - whatever they needed to hear to get them out of the burning house (Chapter 3), to see know their own real identity (Chapter 4), whatever they need to grow (Chapter 5), to find peace and rest (Chapter 7), to realize what they've had all along (Chapter 8), to receive the supreme jewel of Buddhahood (Chapter 14), to get people to take the medicine of Dharma (Chapter 16), and more. He says, I've always been here, and I always will be - my whole life is a means I contrived to get near you, win your trust, so that I could share bodhi with you. He also give prophecies of enlightenment to everyone (this may not be a big deal to most of us, but it would have been quite surprising if you were steeped in pre-Mahayana teachings). Everything he taught previously was to give his followers the tools to understand what he revealed in the Lotus. Without that framework, not only is the full meaning of the text not readily apparent, it lacks the contrast to define itself.

I'm not doing the text justice and the subtle teachings it conveys. If you haven't read it, you should. The more Buddhism you know, and the more you think you know, the more surprising its message is. But you don't need a deep background to get something from the text. Just read it like a story and let it unfold. You may not see why its such a great teaching if you're looking for some practical instructions. That's not the level its aimed at. Its a big picture text. Its a text that places everything else into context, and it needs that context to explain its place. (This is an expansion and practical application of the Two Truths teaching, later elaborated by Zhiyi as Three Truths.)

I'll just add this: some brilliant people spent their whole lives learning and studying Buddhist doctrines. Many of them agreed that the Lotus presented the most profound teachings - higher teachings than some of the other teachings mentioned by the OP. And not just because it claims that place. Like I said - its a teaching at a different level than didactic philosophy or practical instruction. It takes all that for granted, and works it at another level of fluency.

Happy reading!
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta
Shoho

Post by Shoho »

Minobu wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 am
Gassho
Shoho
cannot find anything google about the chuhokkekyo . Are you sure you are spelling it correctly, and can you find me a link?
Re the three great secret laws- im referring to the doctrinal aspect, not the gosho.
Re the chu hokkekyo- the original is at a temple in Mishima, Japan. There is no English translation. Sorry.if you want to read it you will need to have it translated. It is written in medieval Chinese. It is not used as a basis for kechimyaku.
Gassho
Shoho
Daevid Allen-Gong
Shoho

Post by Shoho »

“ The Buddha in the Lotus teaching does not teach that all other teachings should be ignored, or, as far as I know, does he teach anything like that in any other sutra.”

The daishutsu kyo (大集經) (there are four other ways to pronounce this) which is where the concept of the 5, 500 year periods are explained, states:
‘ 大方等大集経巻二十四に「大王、若し刹那婆羅門・毘舎・首陀有って、大力勢有り、我が法の滅するを見、捨して守護せずんば、其の所得の罪も亦復是の如くならん。大王、若し国主有って、無量世に於いて施・戒・慧を修し、我が法の滅するを見て擁護せざれば、是の如き所種の無量の善根は、悉く皆滅失し、其の国には当に三の不祥事有るべし、一に穀貴、二に兵革、三に疫病なり」と、小の三災が説かれている。また、同巻五十五に、世尊が月蔵菩薩摩訶薩に告げて「我が滅後に於いて五百年中は、諸の比丘等なお我が法に於いて、解脱堅固なり、次の五百年は、我が正法の禅定三昧堅固に住するを得るなり。次の五百年は、読誦・多門堅固に住するを得るなり。次の五百年は、我が法中に於いて、多くの塔寺を造りて、堅固に住するを得るなり。次の五百年は、我が法中に於いて、闘諍・言訟し白法隠没し損滅して堅固なり」と、五の五百歳が説かれている.’
This is where the doctrine of the Lotus Sutra not being a complete explanation in mappo is from (詮がなし).
It,as far as I know is not translated into English.
If someone wants it i can email it to then. ( it’s a huge sutra )
Gassho
Shoho
Daevid Allen-Gong
Brahma

Post by Brahma »

Without understanding the Mystic Law of the Lotus Sutra, Myoho Renge Kyo, one cannot reach Supreme Perfect Enlightenment according to the Buddha Himself. This Mystic Law is prevalent throughout all of creation, and when one becomes Enlightened it is always because of what is taught by Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, whether it be directly or indirectly, to reach Enlightenment one is always ultimately devoting themselves to that Great Mystic Law. It is truly the Highest Teaching, and any other Teaching that is also the Highest Teaching must also encompasses the Truth of the Lotus Sutra in some way, enough to bring someone to Enlightenment. Buddha is not guilty of falsehood, because when He provides us Expedient Means it is always for a purpose, and I do not believe the Lotus Sutra to be simply a provisional Teaching. And in fact, all Buddhist Teachings contain the Love and Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra within them, it is just that the Lotus Sutra itself is the Ultimate cumulation of such Teachings, and it is mentioned that it should be preached on and on even after the Buddha enters extinction, eons into the future. It is an Eternal Teaching.
"The way of the bodhisattva is the same as this. As long as a person has not yet heard. Not yet understood. And not yet been able to practice this Lotus Sutra, then you should know that person is still far away from anuttara-samyak-sambodhi. Why? Because all bodhisattvas who attain anuttara-samyak-sambodhi in all cases do so through this sutra. This sutra opens the gate of expedient means and shows the form of true reality. This storehouse of the Lotus Sutra is hidden deep and far away where no person can reach it. But the Buddha, teaching, converting and leading to success the bodhisattvas, opens it up for them.
--From The Lotus Sutra, Chapter Ten: The Teacher of the Law

Return to “Nichiren”