6 senior priests / why?

Minobu

6 senior priests / why?

Post by Minobu »

Nichiren Daishonin gave everything over to 6 senior priests. This is an odd thing to do. Most people that create a new religion, or in this case a new school of Lotus Buddhism make one . Then the priesthood has a head and the rest follows. I don't know of any other religion or school of Buddhism that the person who started it did such a thing as Nichiren Shonin.

He must have had some insight to the future. Or..He just understood human nature so well He did this for a reason .
If we look at the state of His teaching I believe there are 38 or more different schools . All chant the Odaimoku. Most have a Gohonzon. The basic precepts of Buddhism are practiced .

Without the original 6 we would have nothing to debate. If it was just one then it would be a matter of heresy if you spoke out.

I think it is brilliant. The state of affairs , might seem combative to some but in the end it forces us to think about what we do.

Geshe La told me that when the Buddha turns the Dharma Wheel all sorts of religions and schools of thought and philosophies appear all over the universe ..Some seem completely different from Buddhist thought , such as christianity and their belief in a God the Creator. Why would that be part of the Wheel ? Geshe La used Christianity as an example for me to see that the teachings ,as long as they produce love ,are here due to the Turning of The Wheel by Buddha.
It seems crazy and people here at DW have objected to my telling of the turning of The Dharma Wheel in this fashion. Some seemed to get down right angry.

But it's all to do with the capacity of the individual He explained. Some people just could not grasp multiple births , or many things we Buddhists take for granted...So they get a teaching that forces them to practice right speech, right though,t and right action in order to get to their reward of Heaven when they die.. They do good and refrain from negative living ..

so it is probably the same with the Daishonin's method of introducing His Practice with Six Senior Priests...there has to be some wisdom to it..

it's like Honbucho Izumi used to say..She was this beautiful person who was the head of SGI Canada.

There is this potato peeler machine in the olden days where you fill it with water and add potatoes and you use this thing to pump them so they brush against each other and the peels come off and you are left with nice smooth potatoes...

We are like that here...we debate and debate and like end up rubbing each other...one person feels victory the other at a loss..but there actually is no victory or loss...only learning...and growth .

So I think it best that someone has to start to just accept the 6 different priest syndrome that set this whole affair into motion...

i shall leave it at that..probably Q will come in and point to reality and so no d it was done for this reason...lol..
Brahma

Re: 6 senior priests / why?

Post by Brahma »

Buddha entrusted the Law to asamkhyas of Bodhisattvas and Mahasattvas. Nichiren did as well, fully, in His own way, by propigating the movement as He did. It is good to read and reread the Entrustment Chapter of the Lotus Sutra:
At that time Shakyamuni Buddha rose from his Dharma seat and, manifesting his great supernatural powers, with his right hand patted the heads of the immeasurable bodhisattvas and mahasattvas and spoke these words: "For immeasurable hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, millions of asamkhya kalpas I have practiced this hard-to-attain Law of anuttara-samyak-sambodhi. Now I entrust it to you. You must single-mindedly propagate this Law abroad, causing its benefits to spread far and wide."

Three times he patted the bodhisattvas and mahasattvas on the head and spoke these words: "For immeasurable hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, millions of asamkhya kalpas I have practiced this hard-to-attain Law of anuttara-samyak-sambodhi. Now I entrust it to you. You must accept, uphold, recite, and broadly propagate this Law, causing all living beings everywhere to hear and understand it. Why? Because the Thus Come One has great pity and compassion. He is in no way stingy or begrudging, nor has he any fear. He is able to bestow on living beings the wisdom of the Buddha, the wisdom of the Thus Come One, the wisdom that comes of itself. The Thus Come One is a great giver of gifts to all living beings. You for your part should respond by studying this Law of the Thus Come One. You must not be stingy or begrudging.

"In future ages if there are good man and good women who have faith in the wisdom of the Thus Come One, you should preach and expound the Lotus Sutra for them., so that others may hear and understand it. For in this way you can cause them to gain the Buddha wisdom. If there are living beings who do not believe or accept it, you should use some of the other profound doctrines of the Thus Come One to teach, benefit and bring joy to them. If you do all this, then you will have repaid the debt of gratitude that you owe to the Buddha."

When the bodhisattvas and mahasattvas heard the Buddhas speak these words, they all experienced a great joy that filled their bodies. With even greater reverence than before, they bent their bodies, bowed their heads, pressed their palms together and, facing the Buddha, raised their voices in unison, saying: "We will respectfully carry out all these things just as the World-Honored One has commanded. We beg the World-Honored One to have no concern on this account!"

The multitude of bodhisattvas and mahasattvas repeated these words three times, raising their voices in unison and saying: "We will respectfully carry out all these things just as the World-Honored One has commanded. Therefore we beg the World-Honored One to have no concern on this account!"

At that time Shakyamuni Buddha caused the Buddhas who were emanations of his body and had come from the ten directions to return each one to his original land, saying: "Each of these Buddhas may proceed at his own pleasure. The tower of Many Treasures Buddha may also return to its former position."

When he spoke these words, the immeasurable emanation Buddhas from the ten directions who were seated on lion seats under the jeweled trees, as well as Many Treasures Buddha, Superior Practices, and the others of the greater multitude of boundless asamkhya of bodhisattvas, Shariputra and the other voice-hearers and four kinds of believers, and the heavenly and human beings, asuras and others in all the worlds, hearing what the Buddha had said, were all filled with great joy.
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter 22, Entrustment.

As for Jesus, would you be surprised to hold the view that He is the Buddha Himself? It is a common belief across many different religious doctirines and faiths, and also among many Buddhists that Jesus Christ is Buddha. After all Buddha mentions in the Lotus Sutra that He is the father of this world.

Buddha does immeasurable amounts of good work for those in the Saha world, and it wouldn't make sense that He would only appear to Teach and preach to one kind of people.
"Good men, if there are living beings who come to me, I employ my Buddha eye to observe their faith and to see if their other faculties are keen or dull, and then depending upon how receptive they are to salvation, I appear in different places and preach to them under different names, and describe the length of time during which my teachings will be effective. Sometimes when I make my appearance I say that I am about to enter nirvana, and also employ different expedient means to preach the subtle and wonderful Law, thus causing living beings to awaken joyful minds.
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter 16, The Life Span Of The Thus Come One.

If it doesn't make sense to you that Jesus could in fact be Buddha, then think on whether the man's past life could have crossed paths with His, how He could be on Holy Eagle Peak along with the multitude learning the Law. After all Jesus' Teachings did change the world, so the first question to ask is, despite the Teaching method, is Jesus Christ a Buddha? What makes someone a Buddha or a Buddhist, is it possible to become one or be one where the Dharma is hidden or taught in a different way?

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Those teachings are expedients
Erroneous teachings such as these are too numerous to be counted. Their adherents pay as much respect and honor to the teachers who propound them as the heavenly deities pay to the lord Shakra, or the court ministers pay to the ruler of the empire. But not a single person who adheres to these ninety-five types of higher or lower non-Buddhist teachings ever escapes from the cycle of birth and death. Those who follow teachers of the better sort will, after two or three rebirths, fall into the evil paths, while those who follow evil teachers will fall into the evil paths in their very next rebirth.

And yet the main point of these non-Buddhist teachings constitutes an important means of entry into Buddhism. Some of them state, “A thousand years from now, the Buddha will appear in the world,”18 while others state, “A hundred years from now, the Buddha will appear in the world.”19 The Nirvana Sutra remarks, “All of the non-Buddhist scriptures and writings in society are themselves Buddhist p.223teachings, not non-Buddhist teachings.” And in the Lotus Sutra it is written, “Before the multitude they seem possessed of the three poisons or manifest the signs of distorted views. My disciples in this manner use expedient means to save living beings.”20
---> https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/30

The Opening of the Eyes

Which are meant to be discarded by practitioners of Nichiren's buddhism.
Such persons, who honestly discard expedient means, put faith in the Lotus Sutra alone, and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, will transform the three paths of earthly desires, karma, and suffering into the three virtues of the Dharma body, wisdom, and emancipation. The threefold contemplation and the three truths will immediately become manifest in their minds,18 and the place where they live will become the Land of Eternally Tranquil Light. The Buddha who is the entity of Myoho-renge-kyo, of the “Life Span” chapter of the essential teaching, who is both inhabiting subject and inhabited realm, life and environment, body and mind, entity and function, the Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies—he is to be found in the disciples and lay believers of Nichiren. Such persons embody the true entity of Myoho-renge-kyo; this is all due to the meritorious workings that the spontaneous transcendental powers inherent in it display. Could anyone venture to doubt it? Indeed it cannot be doubted!
---> https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/47

The Entity of the Mystic Law
Shoho

Post by Shoho »

Reply to the Hokkeko Believers on Sado Island

元亨
げんこう
三年六月二十二日 日興上人七十八歳御作
June 22, 1323 (Nikko Shonin, Age: 78)

Nichiren Daishonin’s teachings invariably will enable one to attain Buddhahood, through strictly following the correct master-disciple relationship. This issue is foremost.

Even if one upholds the Lotus Sutra, a slight deviation from this relationship will cause one to fall into the hell of incessant suffering.

During the Daishonin’s era, there were those who claimed to be his direct disciples, bypassing the true master-disciple relationship. The Daishonin was concerned about this. Thus, he designated six priests as his major disciples.

He did this, in order to be certain that those who were guided and nurtured by these six priests would declare themselves to be their direct disciples.

After the Daishonin’s passing, however, just as he had worried, many of these remote disciples began to claim that were the Daishonin’s direct disciples.

This is a grave slander.
‘Do you really know what you know you know?’
Daevid Allen-Gong
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Shoho wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:19 pm Reply to the Hokkeko Believers on Sado Island

元亨
げんこう
三年六月二十二日 日興上人七十八歳御作
June 22, 1323 (Nikko Shonin, Age: 78)

Nichiren Daishonin’s teachings invariably will enable one to attain Buddhahood, through strictly following the correct master-disciple relationship. This issue is foremost.

Even if one upholds the Lotus Sutra, a slight deviation from this relationship will cause one to fall into the hell of incessant suffering.

During the Daishonin’s era, there were those who claimed to be his direct disciples, bypassing the true master-disciple relationship. The Daishonin was concerned about this. Thus, he designated six priests as his major disciples.

He did this, in order to be certain that those who were guided and nurtured by these six priests would declare themselves to be their direct disciples.

After the Daishonin’s passing, however, just as he had worried, many of these remote disciples began to claim that were the Daishonin’s direct disciples.

This is a grave slander.
Most of us here cannot read anything but english...

your post sounds so of sho shu eeee to me...

in plain english...
He appointed 6 senior priests...shoshu claims tha Nikko received some secret private document with a completely new narrative never before revealed...

like yeah , what would Nichiren Shonin do that?

give me a viable reason for this...not to mention no one ever heard about all this till centuries later...No historic disputes at the time of Nichiren Shonin's passing away at Mount Minobu...

There would have been an uproar...all was quiet...Till...

ok , what else can i say....what else do you need....then again you have an alleged document that mysteriously appears well after the Passing of Nichiren Shonin...something that only came to light centuries later...historically...So i guess thats all you really need...

I was at where you are at and so were thousands of others...till the big divorce...it's not easy to see the light in fact Bruce Cockburn said it best...

Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight....

arghhhh except for a secret document no one ever heard of this claim that Nichiren Shonin expressed that He was anything other than a Bodhisattva..like all of us who were at Eagle Peak ......

peace and love and may the light be upon you...
Shoho

Post by Shoho »

As you said, most here can’t read it. This is why one can be easily fooled by money hungry hobos. (謗法).
If a person can not read it how do you think one can have any type of comprehensive understanding of Buddhist doctrine?
Add to that the 138 gosho that most likely one has never heard of and you can figure out the problems one will be faced with.
One also needs to take into account the difference between the doctrine before and after the Sado Exile.

Gassho
正法
Daevid Allen-Gong
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

cutting and pasting that japanese text into google produces a verbatim translation at a click so both are baseless claims

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... CAg&uact=5

https://nichirengs.exblog.jp/27264689/

secondly I have incurred 0 costs through this process including time with my teacher.

Promoting slander without due diligence is the essence of devilish function as defined by Nichiren as the devil of the sixth heaven.

Shall I provide the Gosho references?
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

tkp67 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:11 pm
Promoting slander without due diligence is the essence of devilish function as defined by Nichiren as the devil of the sixth heaven.

Hi,

Can you please explain what you mean by this?

What specific slander are you referring to?

Who/What is a function of the Devil King of the sixth heaven?
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Shoho wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:43 pm As you said, most here can’t read it. This is why one can be easily fooled by money hungry hobos. (謗法).
If a person can not read it how do you think one can have any type of comprehensive understanding of Buddhist doctrine?
Add to that the 138 gosho that most likely one has never heard of and you can figure out the problems one will be faced with.
One also needs to take into account the difference between the doctrine before and after the Sado Exile.

Gassho
正法
those people you call money hungry hobos built how many shoshu temples around the world...
they put shoshu on the map..you went from some totally obscure Nichiren sect that hardly anyone followed , to worldwide fame due to those money hungry hobos as you call them...

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

edited /add shouldn't lol
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Minobu wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:57 pm
Shoho wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:43 pm As you said, most here can’t read it. This is why one can be easily fooled by money hungry hobos. (謗法).

Gassho
正法
those people you call money hungry hobos built how many shoshu temples around the world...
they put shoshu on the map..you went from some totally obscure Nichiren sect that hardly anyone followed , to worldwide fame due to those money hungry hobos as you call them...

How is your practice going? You seem very negative
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Nichiren Shōshū claims over 700 local temples and additional temple-like facilities (propagation centers) in Japan. It also claims 24 overseas official designated temples and 678,000 registered members.
from google

i wonder how many were built by gakki
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Shotenzenjin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Gassho
正法

disparaging people's practice now are we ?
now that was a very loaded negative question .

be careful with that ...
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Minobu wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:04 pm
Shotenzenjin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:01 pm

disparaging people's practice now are we ?
now that was a very loaded negative question .

be careful with that ...
No just asking a question. Trying to see through the fog of negativity that are in your posts.
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

meh...lately this place has turned into a battlefield . it is starting to smell bad and bring out the worst in everyone.including me .no meaningful decent learning only sectarian bullshit that if you debate turns ugly..
toodles.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Minobu wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:09 pm meh...lately this place has turned into a battlefield . it is starting to smell bad and bring out the worst in everyone.including me .no meaningful decent learning only sectarian bullshit that if you debate turns ugly..
toodles.
Your being more sectarian then anyone in this and other threads.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

_johnarundel_ wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:54 pm
tkp67 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Hi,

Can you please explain what you mean by this?

What specific slander are you referring to?

Who/What is a function of the Devil King of the sixth heaven?
Slander against those who propagate of these teachings outside the auspices of any one specific school and lineage.

It places the lotus under one's knee as well as all those who attributive their practices to Nichiren.

This argument puts the cart before the horse.

devil king of the sixth heaven
[第六天の魔王] ( dairokuten-no-maō): Also, devil king or heavenly devil. The king of devils, who dwells in the highest or the sixth heaven of the world of desire. He is also named Freely Enjoying Things Conjured by Others, the king who makes free use of the fruits of others’ efforts for his own pleasure. Served by innumerable minions, he obstructs Buddhist practice and delights in sapping the life force of other beings. One of the four devils. See also devil; four devils; Heaven of Freely Enjoying Things Conjured by Others.

Contextually the buddha nature represents altruism and the devil of the sixth narcissism
Shoho

Post by Shoho »

This post is not directed at anyone in particular.
I wasn’t referring to the Soka Gakkai in particular. I was referring to the numerous incorrect English translations available.
Seems that as Minobu stated this place is becoming a battleground. This is the reason scholars and priests wont post in these places. The armchair buddhist gallery, unable to understand the foreign religion they are trying to practice want to argue about things they are not qualified to comment on.
So iiu wake de hon’na sayonara.
正法
Daevid Allen-Gong
Shoho

Post by Shoho »

tkp67 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:11 pm cutting and pasting that japanese text into google produces a verbatim translation at a click so both are baseless claims

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... CAg&uact=5

https://nichirengs.exblog.jp/27264689/

secondly I have incurred 0 costs through this process including time with my teacher.

What you might want to do is figure out that you and your teacher are blinded by prejudice and burdened by incompetence.
You might want to get the Nichiren Shu English gosho translations.
They are much closer to the actual writings.
Gassho
正法
Daevid Allen-Gong
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg »

People, if you want a civil forum to discuss matters, you need to take responsibility for helping moderate by flagging posts that violate the ToS. Mods, including me, don't have the time to follow discussions closely. Of course, this is the internet so standards are low in general. But you can do something about it. That exclamation point in the upper right corner is the start.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta
Brahma

Post by Brahma »

Shoho wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:19 pm Nichiren Daishonin’s teachings invariably will enable one to attain Buddhahood, through strictly following the correct master-disciple relationship. This issue is foremost.

I can understand that Teacher-Disciple relationship is important, but that will not always be available to all. The simple method is to chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, and rely on the Gohonzon. The Lotus Sutra in itself as a Teaching is enough to bring one to Buddhahood, and it can be learned from any layman who has attained Enlightenment from it, or just from the text. The Sutra and Teaching is that powerful. Upholding the Lotus Sutra is by far enough, and the direct precept.
"Ajita, if after I have entered extinction there are those who hear this sutra and can accept and uphold it, copy it themselves or cause others to copy it, then it may be considered that they have already erected monks quarters, or used red sandalwood to construct thirty-two halls, as tall as eight tala trees, lofty, spacious and beautifully adorned to accommodate hundreds and thousands of monks. Gardens, groves, pools, lakes, exercise grounds, caves for meditation, clothing, food, drink, beds, matting, medicines, and all kinds of utensils for comfort fill them, and these monks quarters and halls number in the hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, millions, and indeed are immeasurable in number. All these are presented before me as alms for me in the community of monks.
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter 17, Distinction of Benefits.

Here is an example of how much one gains by simply hearing one verse of the Lotus Sutra:
"Immediately he gathers all the living beings together and propagates the Law among them, teaching, benefiting and delighting them. In one moment all are able to attain the way of the srota-apanna, the way of the sakridagamin, the way of the anagamin, and the way of arhat, to exhaust all outflows and enter deeply into meditation. All attain freedom and become endowed with eight emancipations. Now what is your opinion? Are the benefits gained by this great dispenser of charity many are not?"

Maitreya said to the Buddha: "World-Honored One, this man's benefits are very many indeed, immeasurable and boundless. Even if this dispenser of charity had merely given all those playthings to living beings, his benefits would still be immeasurable. And how much more so when he has enabled them to attain the fruits of arhatship!"

The Buddhas said to Maitreya: "I will now state the matter clearly for you. This man gave all these objects of amusement to living beings in the six paths of existence of four hundred ten thousand million asamkhya worlds and also made it possible for them to attain the fruits of arhatship. But the benefits that he gains do not match the benefits of the fiftieth person who hears just one verse of the Lotus Sutra and responds with joy. They are not equal to one hundredth, one thousandth, one part in a hundred, thousand, ten thousand, a million. Indeed it is beyond the power of calculation, simile or parable to express the comparison.

"Ajita, the benefits gained by even the fiftieth person who hears the Lotus Sutra as it is handed along to him responds with joy. His blessings are greater by an immeasurable, boundless asamkhya number, and are in fact incomparable.
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter 18, The Benefits of Joyful Acceptance.

There is much in the Lotus Sutra about the immense benefits one will get by simply upholding it:
"Moreover, Constant Exertion, if good men or good women except and uphold this sutra after the Thus Come One has entered extinction, if they read it, recite it, explain and preach it, or transcribe it, they will acquire twelve hundred mind benefits. Because of purity of their mental faculties, when they hear no more than one verse or one phrase [of the sutra], they will master immeasurable and boundless numbers of principles. And once having understood these principles, they will be able to expound and preach on the single phrase or a single verse for a month, for four months, or for a whole year, and the doctrines that they preach during that time will conform to the gist of the principles and will never be contrary to true reality.
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter 19, The Benefits of the Teacher of the Law.

Plus, considering not everyone is even a Votary of the Lotus Sutra yet, doesn't mean they will fall into hell living their normal lives. It is important to uphold the Lotus Sutra to the upmost, and eventually all beings will accept it, but, were you in hell before you started to uphold it/entered into your Master-Disciple relationship, (if there was a time like this for you)?

You surely should not deviate from your principles of Master-Disciple, and always you must uphold the Lotus Sutra, and I respect your views, but the strength and Metta of the community of Buddhists and aimible people is all around you.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.
Last edited by Brahma on Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Nichiren”