Is anyone here familiar with Reiyukai?

bcol01

Is anyone here familiar with Reiyukai?

Post by bcol01 »

Haven't found much info about them anywhere on Google, yet I believe they are a Nichiren sect.
FiveSkandhas

Re: Is anyone here familiar with Reiyukai?

Post by FiveSkandhas »

I used to work several blocks over from their architecturally innovative headquarters in Tokyo (I encourage you to run an image search; it's a fascinating structure).

They fall under the category of "New religious movement" in Japan, much like Sokka Gakkai. That is, they aren't a traditional "sect" with priests but more a "gathering" of lay believers in modern dress loosely based in Nichren theory. Yet like a sect, they have their own rituals, different butusdans, and so forth. So it straddles the line between "a religion" and "a para-religious organization."

Their special doctrine places a great deal of emphasis on ancestor veneration and communing with your ancestors at their group-specific butusdans (home alters). At one time they were very interested in bringing foreigners to Japan on "spiritual tourism" and they had (have?) an organization called "inner trip" dedicated to this purpose. I don't think it's ever made much of a splash and it's aesthetics are quite dated: their office looks like a throwback to the 70s or early 80s perhaps.

My impression was that their heyday was in the mid-20th century...perhaps the 60s...my impressions from visiting their HQ and some nearby offices/shops are that their membership has fallen and aged drastically over the decades.
Last edited by FiveSkandhas on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 »

Sounds like it- no temple/lineage affiliation as such that I came across- though I did find a reference in the Coffeehouse pages that Don Ross made at least a few copies of the Prayer Gohonzon for Reiyukai members.

https://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/ni ... u/037.html

Aside from their webpages, I didn't find much beyond occasional references either.
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

I heard something about them venerating ancestors. But I do not know for sure and could very well be wrong.
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Thanks for that info!
narhwal90 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:17 am Sounds like it- no temple/lineage affiliation as such that I came across- though I did find a reference in the Coffeehouse pages that Don Ross made at least a few copies of the Prayer Gohonzon for Reiyukai members.

https://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/ni ... u/037.html

Aside from their webpages, I didn't find much beyond occasional references either.
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Their temple there is beautiful, at least from the outside. It's quite interesting too. I've never been, but it is interesting. You would think that if they want to expand or have more members, they'd put out at least more reading materials. Getting to the nitty gritty of their doctrines, etc is near impossible. I have tried, and the best I have come up with (aside from what you mentioned) is a suggestion from them to purchase a book on the biography of its founder, which supposedly details more of their teachings. Thanks for the insight!
FiveSkandhas wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:47 am I used to work several blocks over from their architecturally innovative headquarters in Tokyo (I encourage you to run an image search; it's a fascinating structure).

They fall under the category of "New religious movement" in Japan, much like Sokka Gakkai. That is, they aren't a traditional "sect" with priests but more a "gathering" of lay believers in modern dress loosely based in Nichren theory. Yet like a sect, they have their own rituals, different butusdans, and so forth. So it straddles the line between "a religion" and "a para-religious organization."

Their special doctrine places a great deal of emphasis on ancestor veneration and communing with your ancestors at their group-specific butusdans (home alters). At one time they were very interested in bringing foreigners to Japan on "spiritual tourism" and they had (have?) an organization called "inner trip" dedicated to this purpose. I don't think it's ever made much of a splash and it's aesthetics are quite dated: their office looks like a throwback to the 70s or early 80s perhaps.

My impression was that their heyday was in the mid-20th century...perhaps the 60s...my impressions from visiting their HQ and some nearby offices/shops are that their membership has fallen and aged drastically over the decades.

Return to “Nichiren”