Is being part of Nichiren sect a requirement to be a Nichiren Buddhist?

bcol01

Is being part of Nichiren sect a requirement to be a Nichiren Buddhist?

Post by bcol01 »

I like Nichiren Shu. They seem to have their teachings and doctrines laid out in their materials in an easily understandable manner, but yet, I still can't bring myself to belong to a sect? Am I going to eventually just have to get over this and join one, or can I just practice independently and yet practice appropriately without such guidance from a specific sect?
FiveSkandhas

Re: Is being part of Nichiren sect a requirement to be a Nichiren Buddhist?

Post by FiveSkandhas »

There are people who consider themselves "independent Nichiren Practitioners." One man made an excellent 100-or-so page guide to all aspects of independent practice as he saw it and it used to be freely available on the web; sadly it seems to have vanished about a decade ago.

The various Nichiren sects, of course, generally frown on this sort of thing. But the sects generally frown on each other too, so in the end your own judgement will have to suffice.
narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 »

I don't think its a requirement, but it is nice to have people to practice with. The Nichiren Coffeehouse pages that Don Ross set up have quite a bit of info about the independent practitioners and what they got up to. I suppose there are many out there, working off email lists and personal relationships and so don't show up online very much.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

The core element throughout the body of Nichiren's teachings as represented and understood today is the chanting of Daimoku. The practice expands from here based on cause, conditions and capacity. The most essential aspect of this teaching is propagation within one's own life without limit to one's self. The greatest benefits are had from an enduring practice so sustainability should be kept in mind. Simply chanting, with confidence in these teachings, will help in the process. Since it is a core of this practice regardless of what direction one takes within the body of teachings there is no need to fear wasted efforts.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Usually you enter some of the larger Nichiren sects and are never told of other sects or the other sects are played down or worst considered poison.

but you do need one to learn.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Minobu wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:19 pm Usually you enter some of the larger Nichiren sects and are never told of other sects or the other sects are played down or worst considered poison.

but you do need one to learn.
or do you...

i recall a guy who came in to the KaiKan and gave a lil talk about himself, under the guise of giving expirence.

He was told to meditate on Nam MyoHo RenGe Kyo exactly like the methodology in Transcendental Meditation where you use a mantra.
Two years he did this before finding out about Nichiren ShoShu's layman's organization the Soka Gakki.

he beamed light...i looked at him in wonder...He became a member , stopped meditating and the light vanished.
just saying...
markatex

Post by markatex »

What exactly is your objection? Admittedly, I’ve never understood the reticence some people have toward making a commitment. For me, I became a Nichiren Shu Buddhist because I was done being a “dabbler.” I’m not the world’s greatest practitioner, but I feel connected to a lineage and to teachers who I’ve gotten to know and whose advice and experience I value. You don’t “have to” do anything, but at a certain point, if you’re serious about this faith, I don’t see why you wouldn’t.

Return to “Nichiren”