On the Pure Land

plwk

On the Pure Land

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]

A teaching given by HH the 17th Karmapa in Hong Kong last year. Nearly the first half of the video is about his thoughts on General Buddhism.
Now for the purposes of this PL forum, one should start from 28:30 onwards to hear his thoughts on what he thinks Pure Land is on.
Again, he has clarified from the beginning that the entire presentation is non-traditional but hearing him to the end, I can see that his ideas are not exactly new nor revolutionary as it's been shared by some quarters even in the Pure Land circles.

For now, Part 2 of the video, the Q&A session is unavailable as the uploader hasn't presented it yet.
I thought this would be interesting on the Pure Land as presented from another Buddhist tradition's perspective.
For your kind perusal...
Zhen Li

Re: On the Pure Land

Post by Zhen Li »

It is a very orthodox perspective expressed in a more simple manner.

My first very deep connection with Pure Land practices was at one of Thrangu Rinpoche's Karma Kagyu centres. Since then I have been a Pure Land practitioner. Kagyu has lots of good Pure Land practices and teachings (actually I am not sure why Pure Land is slotted arbitrarily in "East Asian Buddhism" section).
:anjali:
plwk

Post by plwk »

Well, I can think of two: that Pure Land in East Asian Mahayana exoteric traditions have their own unique developments despite sharing a common link and distinguished from the 'Pure Land' practice and emphasis as found in Vajrayana...
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Yeah, but I doubt anyone would have opinions that differ so much as to not make them compatible. I practice pureland at both a Kagyu and Linji temple.

Return to “Pure Land”