Pure Land Study Group Thread

Nosta

Re: Study group, who's interested?

Postby Nosta » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:12 pm

So, wich book are we reading? :)

Its the Dialog with Ancient Masters?

In order to avoid loosing much time choosing the book and since the OP likes that one, I propose that one. Now, about the time for reading and then starting the discussion: within one month? :)

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Postby Admin_PC » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Nosta wrote:So, wich book are we reading? :)

Its the Dialog with Ancient Masters?

In order to avoid loosing much time choosing the book and since the OP likes that one, I propose that one. Now, about the time for reading and then starting the discussion: within one month? :)

I picked Pure-Land Zen, Zen Pure-Land. I started reading an electronic copy on my Kindle last week. I don't think I've gotten to the first letter yet. I think I'm probably still on the Intro/background info section because it makes a lot of contemporary references. I'll break out my hardcopy book soon to get a better idea of how soon until I'm ready to discuss the first letter.
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

Nosta

Postby Nosta » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:28 am

Ok, good choice ;)

Just to remember, the book is freely avaiable here:
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/yin_kuang.pdf

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Postby Admin_PC » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:17 pm

Nosta wrote:Ok, good choice ;)

Just to remember, the book is freely avaiable here:
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/yin_kuang.pdf

Yeah, that's where I got the ebook copy I'm reading on my kindle. FWIW - my hardcopy of the book was also free from budaedu.org (I'm still trying to find out how to send them a donation without sending personal check).

The Preface is 6 pages and the Introduction is another 12, which is why I haven't gotten to the first letter yet.
法然上人

LastLegend

Postby LastLegend » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:03 pm

It is because, as we begin reciting, the past, present and future have lost their distinction, marks exist but they have been left behind, form is emptiness, thought is the same as No-Thought, the realm of the Original Nature “apart from thought” of the Tathagata has been penetrated. This state is Buddha- hood; what else could it be?

Cool.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Bodhidharma [my translation]
―I come to the East to transmit this clear knowing mind without constructing any dharma―

LastLegend

Postby LastLegend » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Discuss the quote above!!!
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

―I come to the East to transmit this clear knowing mind without constructing any dharma―

Monlam Tharchin

Postby Monlam Tharchin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:44 am

Wonderful. I've been trying to find my rhythm in a Pure Land Zen practice... I feel the two schools harmonize very well in terms of actual daily life experience. Looking forward to reading and discussing!
No longer active on DW as of February 2017.

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Postby Admin_PC » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:11 pm

LastLegend wrote:It is because, as we begin reciting, the past, present and future have lost their distinction, marks exist but they have been left behind, form is emptiness, thought is the same as No-Thought, the realm of the Original Nature “apart from thought” of the Tathagata has been penetrated. This state is Buddha- hood; what else could it be?

Cool.

The only thing that's coming to mind is "non-discriminative awareness", when thoughts, words, and even mind drop off...
法然上人

LastLegend

Postby LastLegend » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Cool. How should one put that into practice though?
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Postby Admin_PC » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:42 pm

LastLegend wrote:Cool. How should one put that into practice though?

I think it manifests naturally as a result of practice. The more you practice, the more you enter that state, the more you notice that state in your daily life, and the harder it is for the obscurations to return. Of course this is just my opinion.
法然上人

LastLegend

Postby LastLegend » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:58 pm

I could be wrong. My take on it is the nature of thought is empty. Thus, when we sit to recite within our own mind, we use the "seeing" and the "hearing" to recite inward. When we recite, we see the reciting thought to be empty, and at the same hear the reciting thought. Or one can recite orally while turning the attention inward by seeing or being presently aware of the reciting sound (come from our mouth) and at the same time hearing the sound.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

plwk

Postby plwk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:48 pm

LL, the topic is Study group, who's interested? and not Dharma's next most boggling quote....

LastLegend

Postby LastLegend » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:00 pm

plwk wrote:LL, the topic is Study group, who's interested? and not Dharma's next most boggling quote....

Oh sorry. Can explain what study group constitute? Just posting texts and people to read and study on their own or here to discuss how to practice? Which is it? Studying the the intellectually? What's deal dawg?
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

LastLegend

Postby LastLegend » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:08 pm

The quote came from this text of choice for study http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/yin_kuang.pdf

Read the first page dude.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

plwk

Postby plwk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:36 pm

This thread is asking on who's interested in this study group and then the text. Then a new thread on the actual study text?
Jumbling it all up may confuse some new readers as to which part of the initial OP has started and ended and the actual commencement...as it has happened in another thread before.... 'dude' / 'dudette'

LastLegend

Postby LastLegend » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:47 pm

plwk wrote:This thread is asking on who's interested in this study group and then the text. Then a new thread on the actual study text?
Jumbling it all up may confuse some new readers as to which part of the initial OP has started and ended and the actual commencement...as it has happened in another thread before.... 'dude' / 'dudette'

So in your opinion, there will be a new thread on the actual study? In this thread, many people showed interest and the text of choice seems to be Yin Kuang's letter. So to avoid confusion, you think that there should a new thread? Ok my bad dude for hijacking the thread. My bad PorkChop.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Okay, now that the text has been decided upon when will the study begin and how will it be structured?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Postby Admin_PC » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:Okay, now that the text has been decided upon when will the study begin and how will it be structured?

I'm going to start a new thread for the book study sometime this weekend. I'm thinking about actually covering the introduction as it takes up at least 10% of the book, but I'd like to finish the first actual letter before I start the thread.
法然上人

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Postby Admin_PC » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:50 am

PorkChop wrote:I'm going to start a new thread for the book study sometime this weekend. I'm thinking about actually covering the introduction as it takes up at least 10% of the book, but I'd like to finish the first actual letter before I start the thread.

Made it to about half way through the first chapter. Sorry, not reading this particularly fast. Even the first letter is fairly dense with some very quotable lines. Should be able to start the official thread by the end of the week. Took a look at covering the Preface and the Introduction, but it's mostly a lot of quotes from other people that appear in other books and some summary information - would kind of rather stick with the words of Ven Yin Kuang.
法然上人

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:38 am

So which bit should we read?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

Return to “Pure Land”