Names of the Buddhas Diciples (Pronunciation)

cj39

Names of the Buddhas Diciples (Pronunciation)

Post by cj39 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:28 am

The Amida Sutra is an amazingly easy read, depending on the translation. I generally prefer the ones that have the names of the Buddhas translated into English, in case you didn't guess. The hardest part though is the names of the Buddha's disciples at the beginning of the text. Does anyone know of any sound files that might give the correct pronunciations? The names themselves are an amazing treasure trove of information.

Dharmic

Re: Names of the Buddhas Diciples (Pronunciation)

Post by Dharmic » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:45 am

cj39 wrote:The Amida Sutra is an amazingly easy read, depending on the translation. I generally prefer the ones that have the names of the Buddhas translated into English, in case you didn't guess. The hardest part though is the names of the Buddha's disciples at the beginning of the text. Does anyone know of any sound files that might give the correct pronunciations? The names themselves are an amazing treasure trove of information.
Hi,

I could not find what you are looking for,sorry.

In the attached image the names are given in Chinese and each character is transliterated into English.

Brief information about the disciples is there in Ven. Ou-i's commentary on the Amida Sutra.
From page 51
http://ftp.budaedu.org/ebooks/pdf/EN084.pdf

There is a detailed explanation of each word of the Sanskrit version of the Sutra (Sukhāvatīvyūha-sūtra) by Ven. Bhikṣuṇī Heng Hsien in the below link.I haven't read it but it seems superb. :thumbsup:
http://www.cttbusa.org/sanskrit/sanskrit18.asp

:anjali:
Attachments
Sariputra.jpg
Sariputra.jpg (119.3 KiB) Viewed 681 times
May the supreme Bodhicitta
That has not arisen, arise and grow;
And may that which has arisen not diminish
But increase more and more.

Dharmic

Re: Names of the Buddhas Diciples (Pronunciation)

Post by Dharmic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:48 am

May the supreme Bodhicitta
That has not arisen, arise and grow;
And may that which has arisen not diminish
But increase more and more.

Return to “Pure Land”