10 moments of mindfulness - but how long is a moment?

ojo

10 moments of mindfulness - but how long is a moment?

Post by ojo »

I read somewhere that Shan-tao interpreted the original text of the 18th vow to mean "call my name 10 times" vs. "just 10 moments of being mindful of me". Is that true? If Shan-tao was a manifestation of Amida Buddha as Honen believed then he can do what he likes and I won't complain about it either!

Not that I want to avoid nembutsu but I prefer "just 10 moments of being mindful of me" for reasons important to me but difficult to explain. As a result I am also VERY interested to know how long a moment is. :smile: Do you have any idea? Has any master ever answered this question ?
Fortyeightvows

Re: 10 moments of mindfulness - but how long is a moment?

Post by Fortyeightvows »

ojo wrote:As a result I am also VERY interested to know how long a moment is. :smile: Do you have any idea? Has any master ever answered this question ?
Yes a 'moment' has been defined at 1/65th of a finger snap.

https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f ... raditional
ojo

Post by ojo »

10 moments of mindfulness would be around 0.1 seconds so sentient beings really only need to be truly mindful of Amithaba for 0.1 seconds!? Some authors make a big deal about the duration of "thought free" moments , etc. but I'm thinking it's the quality / reality that matters not the length of time.

Like for instance when we intently stare at the back of someone's head from a distance in a crowd and they turn around it's the fact our mind intent ACTUALLY connects with their mind that counts. It's the reality and quality of the actual connection with Amithaba's mind intent that matters not necessarily how long or often it happens.

so says me ... :soapbox:
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

ojo wrote:I read somewhere that Shan-tao interpreted the original text of the 18th vow to mean "call my name 10 times" vs. "just 10 moments of being mindful of me". Is that true? If Shan-tao was a manifestation of Amida Buddha as Honen believed then he can do what he likes and I won't complain about it either!

Not that I want to avoid nembutsu but I prefer "just 10 moments of being mindful of me" for reasons important to me but difficult to explain. As a result I am also VERY interested to know how long a moment is. :smile: Do you have any idea? Has any master ever answered this question ?
The text you call here says 念 or nen of nenbutsu.. I guess there are just different English interpretations of nen... anyway it would mean always the same in original. 10 times thought of Amida, or ten times of aware nenbutsu.. either way. I am not expert in English, therefore I do not know which interpretation is hiting the meaning. in Zendo/Shan-tao text it is 十念, which is abbreviated 十念佛 and it keeps in line with the sutra itself..
ojo

Post by ojo »

so it means continuously aware of Amida during the vocalization of 10 nembutsu ?

Return to “Pure Land”