Om Amideva Hrih

Jingang

Om Amideva Hrih

Post by Jingang » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:38 pm

First, please excuse my ignorance. To my great shame I haven't read many sutras or books from our tradition. I chant the nembutsu daily but my knowlege is very limited and my insight is shallow.

I have mostly been following the Japanese school of recitation, with the mantra 'Namo Amida Bu'. However I have recently become interested in the sanskrit mantra Om Amideva Hrih. I understand this is mostly used, with slightly different pronunciation, in the Tibetan school.

I asked a medical clairvoyant to check them and he said that they had a different energetic effect, with the sanskrit mantra more beneficial in the longer term.

I was wondering whether this Tibetan Pure Land mantra was used in the same way as the Nembutsu in the Japanese schools - ie. the sole vehicle to carry one to Sukhavati. Or whether it was seen as an aid, or a supplement to other meditative practices? Can I recite only the Tibetan mantra and still reach the goal, or would I need to follow the wider Tibetan tradition, of phowa and other yogas?

Strive

Re: Om Amideva Hrih

Post by Strive » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:28 am

beautiful mantra

yan kong

Re: Om Amideva Hrih

Post by yan kong » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:55 am

Jingang wrote:I was wondering whether this Tibetan Pure Land mantra was used in the same way as the Nembutsu in the Japanese schools - ie. the sole vehicle to carry one to Sukhavati. Or whether it was seen as an aid, or a supplement to other meditative practices? Can I recite only the Tibetan mantra and still reach the goal, or would I need to follow the wider Tibetan tradition, of phowa and other yogas?
I can't comment in much detail but I don't believe Tibet has the historical debate between "self and other power"that informs some east Asian traditions.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun

Return to “Pure Land”