can we surely born in Pureland?

ShineeSeoul

can we surely born in Pureland?

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Hi every one

before few months, I have decided that being born in Pureland is the best choice for me, since enlightenment is hard for me

I have started reciting Namah Amitabha Buddha for rebrith in Pureland, but it isn't that long, usually like half an hour in each day

and I recite the mantra for Rebirth in Pureland three time a day.

is this enough? I know probably not

I am not Vegetarian, but hopefully I will be one day, due to my mother opposing me being one

I thought my recitation is probably not enough, so I thought about visualization of pureland for like 15 minutes

and I have read this article from website :

"Practitioners aspiring to birth in the Pure Land visualize the jewelled paradise of the Buddha Amitabha, where the evil karma of his or her past is transformed into the Pure Land and the virtue of its Buddha. Ultimately, even the Pure Land is transcended, and the practitioner attains awareness of the non-origination of things, a virtual synonym of emptiness."

is this practice is simple as that or its not complete and need a teacher? I don't have teacher and can't afford to find one right now

thanks for reading, just need advice regarding the practice that will lead to Sukhavati :heart:
Fortyeightvows

Re: can we surely born in Pureland?

Post by Fortyeightvows »

One good way to date a text is like this:
The easier it is to get to the pureland: the later the text.

I think this trend will continue, so if Buddhism continues to exist for another few hundred years, I'd imagine it will be even easier to get to the pureland.
Last edited by Fortyeightvows on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Also: what your doing sounds good. best wishes. amitabha.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:43 amOne good way to date a text is like this:
The easier it is to get to the pureland: the later the text.
Wow, where do you get that idea?
The 18th vow comes from the Larger Sukhavati Sutra, which is recognized by academics as the earliest. There are other statements in that sutra that display the ease of the path.
For example:
In the low class are gods and humans in worlds in the ten directions who earnestly wish to be reborn in that land. Although they are unable to acquire various merits, they should activate the unsurpassed bodhi mind and, with a wish for rebirth in that land, single-mindedly think ten thoughts of Amitāyus Buddha. If they hear the profound Dharma, they should delight and believe in it without raising doubts. Even if they think only one thought of that Buddha, with utmost sincerity they should resolve to be reborn in His land. When they die, they will dream of that Buddha and will be reborn in His land.
and
By virtue of the power of that Buddha’s original vows,
Those who hear His name and resolve to be reborn [in His land]
Will all arrive in that land
And attain the spiritual level of no regress.

Nagarjuna called it the Easy Path in the 2nd century CE.

It's fairly clear that the difficulty of birth in Sukhavati is a later Chinese creation - especially when it comes to the apparent obsession over what to do with the body after death, the importance of community ritual & chanting, etc. Even the "Five Evils and Five Virtues" section of the Larger Sukhavati Sutra is widely recognized as a later Chinese addition, regardless the section on "Doubts Causing Rebirth from the Womb" make it very clear that accumulating merit is secondary to having no doubts.

The difficult Pure Land to be born in was always Akshobhya Abhirati. The easy one was always Amitabha's Sukhavati.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

ShineeSeoul wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:49 amis this enough? I know probably not
It's more than enough. You can surely be born there. The only hindrance would be your doubt, and even then it would only restrict one to birth from the womb on the borderlands, unable to see that Buddha, hear the Dharma, make offerings, or acquire merit.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

ShineeSeoul wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:49 am Hi every one

before few months, I have decided that being born in Pureland is the best choice for me, since enlightenment is hard for me

I have started reciting Namah Amitabha Buddha for rebrith in Pureland, but it isn't that long, usually like half an hour in each day

and I recite the mantra for Rebirth in Pureland three time a day.

is this enough? I know probably not

I am not Vegetarian, but hopefully I will be one day, due to my mother opposing me being one

I thought my recitation is probably not enough, so I thought about visualization of pureland for like 15 minutes

and I have read this article from website :

"Practitioners aspiring to birth in the Pure Land visualize the jewelled paradise of the Buddha Amitabha, where the evil karma of his or her past is transformed into the Pure Land and the virtue of its Buddha. Ultimately, even the Pure Land is transcended, and the practitioner attains awareness of the non-origination of things, a virtual synonym of emptiness."

is this practice is simple as that or its not complete and need a teacher? I don't have teacher and can't afford to find one right now

thanks for reading, just need advice regarding the practice that will lead to Sukhavati :heart:
best of luck! keep going
if you want to find a teacher, you probably will someday

Jake
rory

Post by rory »

Admin_PC wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:57 pm
ShineeSeoul wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:49 amis this enough? I know probably not
It's more than enough. You can surely be born there. The only hindrance would be your doubt, and even then it would only restrict one to birth from the womb on the borderlands, unable to see that Buddha, hear the Dharma, make offerings, or acquire merit.
Sure it's enough! The more you practice, the longer you do it the greater your faith will grow. Don't worry, it's okay I asked a Jodo monk who instructed me years ago and when I said "I'd like to believe but I don't" he replied, "that's okay, all you need is an aspiration for faith."

And I have tons of faith now:). So just do that and chant nianfo/nembutsu and resolve to be born in Amida's Pure Land and you will!! :twothumbsup:
Namu Amida Butsu
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Bravo all. What a fantastic tradition.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Pureland is awesome. :bow:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

I've loved reading this thread. A great question and just as great answers. Have a great day fellas.
Namu Amida Butsu.
vikas113

Post by vikas113 »

Ofcourse whoever chants 'Amitabha Buddha's' name and has a wish to be reborn in his Buddha land will be born in that Buddhaland after his present life. Buddha's never lie, they speak true and beneficial words.

Have trust in the Amitabha Buddha's vows :

If, when I attain Buddhahood, sentient beings in the lands of the ten directions who sincerely and joyfully entrust themselves to me, desire to be born in my land, and recite my Name, even ten times, should not be born there, may I not attain perfect Enlightenment. Excluded, however, are those who commit the five gravest offences and abuse the right Dharma.

If, when I attain Buddhahood, sentient beings in the lands of the ten directions, who set forth the Bodhi Mind, do various meritorious deeds and sincerely aspire for Enlightenment, and desire to be born in my land, should not, at their death, see me appear before them surrounded by a multitude of sages, may I not attain perfect Enlightenment.

If, when I attain Buddhahood, sentient beings in the lands of the ten directions who, having heard my Name, concentrate their thoughts on my land, plant the root of various virtues, and sincerely transfer their merits towards my land with a desire to be born there, should not eventually fulfill their expected reward, may I not attain perfect Enlightenment.

Since Amitabha Buddha has attained Buddhahood his vows will be 100% fulfilled as he wished when he was bodhisattva Dharmakara.

Also we have many examples and rebirth stories even of evil people reborn in pureland. Stay without worry and chant 'Amitabha's Name' sincerely and we will meet in the pureland. :bow:

Namo Amitabha Buddha! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Return to “Pure Land”