Pure Land Dharani Sutras and Other Sutras

sth9784

Pure Land Dharani Sutras and Other Sutras

Post by sth9784 »

In Master Honen's Senchakushu, on the chapter on Two Gateways, he lists Sutras and Treatises that incidentally expound rebirth in the Pure Land such as the Wish-Fulfilling Dharani Sutra, and the Dharani Sutra on the Most August One, among others, but I list these two because I have never encountered these titles elsewhere. The glossary included in the translation of the Senchakushu that I have makes no mention of these Sutras, so I haven't a clue as to the Chinese, or Sanskrit titles. I have done a google search, but have not come up with anything useful regarding them, so I am hoping someone on here may know something about these Sutras.

I have checked http://www.sutrasmantras.info/sutra0.html, and come across the first four Sutras listed on the website which in their titles have some combination of Dharani and Sutra in their title, but I am not sure if they are related to the two I listed above.
1. Sūtra of the Buddha-Crown Superb Victory Dhāraṇī
2. Buddha Pronounces the Sūtra of the Great Cundī Dhāraṇī
3. Sūtra of the Whole-Body Relic Treasure Chest Seal Dhāraṇī
4. Buddha Pronounces the Mahāyāna Sūtra of the Dhāraṇī of Infinite-Life Resolute Radiance King Tathāgata

After reading each of them, the first, third, and fourth mention being born in Pure Lands, but the fourth seems like it could be one of the two mentioned by Master Honen, but as I am largely ignorant of the languages involved, I am not sure.

The fourth one listed, entitled 'Buddha Pronounces the Mahāyāna Sūtra of the Dhāraṇī of Infinite-Life Resolute Radiance King Tathāgata' makes a statement: 'After their lives end here, they will be reborn in Immeasurable Merit Store, the land of Infinite-Life Resolute Radiance King Tathāgata.', which makes me think it could be one of the two listed by Master Honen, but I could be wrong.

I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter of identifying these Sutras, or even the names of Sutras about birth in Pure Lands other than the more commonly known ones.
Crom!
Jingang

Re: Pure Land Dharani Sutras and Other Sutras

Post by Jingang »

The first one is more commonly referred to as the usnisa vijaya dharani sutra. It is an extremely powerful and effective dharani and is, afaik, used in Vietnamese Pure Land traditions.

sth9784

Re: Pure Land Dharani Sutras and Other Sutras

Post by sth9784 »

Jingang wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:56 pm The first one is more commonly referred to as the usnisa vijaya dharani sutra. It is an extremely powerful and effective dharani and is, afaik, used in Vietnamese Pure Land traditions.
Thank you very much. It is much appreciated.

The Youtube link is amazing. I am incredibly thankful to whoever takes the time to put together such videos for YouTube. I would have probably never heard sounds such as this where I live.
Crom!

Return to “Pure Land”