Books on Pure Land saints.

The Mantra Mongoose

Books on Pure Land saints.

Post by The Mantra Mongoose »

Hello,

I was wondering if there were any books out that chronicle the lives of pure land practitioners that lived extraordinary lives. Personally, coming from a background of Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and Coptic Orthodoxy/Oriental Orthodoxy ( yes i was part of all three at one point) Ive always been fascinated by the lives of individuals that give other people Hope, Strength, and increased drive to dig deeper into there own Faith tradition, and practice. I know that Buddhism as a whole has its fair share of "Saints" for lack of a better word, but how about the Pure Land Schools? Any help would be most appreciated. Namu Amida Bustu!
User 3495

Re: Books on Pure Land saints.

Post by User 3495 »

These books may be interesting for you:

Setsuwa (short stories, sometimes dealing with the Pure Land):

‘Miraculous Stories from the Japanese Buddhist Tradition’ by Kyoko Nakamura (translation of the Nihon Ryōiki)

‘Miraculous Tales of the Lotus Sutra’ by Yoshiko Dykstra (translation of the Dainihonkoku Hokkegenki, mostly about the Lotus Sutra)

‘Buddhist Tales of India, China, and Japan’ by Yoshiko Dykstra (translation of the Konjaku Monogatarishū, three volumes)

‘Senjūshō’ by Yoshiko Dykstra

‘Sand and Pebbles’ by Robert E. Morrell (translation of the Shasekishū)

‘Otogibōko’ by Yoshiko Dykstra

Biographies/sayings of Hōnen and other Pure Land teachers:

‘The Promise of Amida Buddha: Honen's Path to Bliss’ by Jōji Atone (translation of the Wago Tōroku)

‘Traversing The Pure Land Path, A Lifetime of Encounters with Honen Shonin’ by Jonathan Watts and Yoshiharu Tomatsu (translation of the Hōnen Shōnin Gyōjō Ezu)

‘Plain Words on the Pure Land Way: Sayings of the Wandering Monks of Medieval Japan’ by Dennis Hirota (translation of the Ichigon Hōdan, online: https://www.biroco.com/other/Hirota_Plain_Words.pdf)

‘Honen the Buddhist Saint’ by Joseph A. Fitzgerald (translation of the Hōnen Shōnin Eden)

Other books:

‘Lives of Great Monks and Nuns’ by Li Rongxi, Albert A. Dalia (online: http://www.bdkamerica.org/system/files/ ... ode&id=473)
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

That is a great list Tatsuo!

I'd also like to add 'No Abode: The Record of Ippen' by Dennis Hirota
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
The Mantra Mongoose

Post by The Mantra Mongoose »

hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the list and suggestions, looks like i got some books to read. :thanks:

Return to “Pure Land”