Shoko Asahara's last nembutsu.

Wicked Yeshe

Shoko Asahara's last nembutsu.

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

The japanese cult leader Shoko Asahara is currently on death row awaitening execution for having instigated a nerve gas attack on the Tokyo subway. An act of such karmic weight would naturally lead to lower realms and long periods of suffering..

..HOWEVER!
There is a solution. In japanese death row the prisoners are allowed one last chance of salvation by praying to Amida buddha. And also they get to meet a pure land priest for consultation about settlement of rebirth etc.

Do you think Shoko Asahara will be saved?

I'd say yes. Such is the grace of the vow.
:bow:
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: Shoko Asahara's last nembutsu.

Post by Admin_PC »

IIRC Asahara was responsible for a lot more than just the sarin attacks. Think he should definitely say a/many Nembutsu. Whether or not he makes it to the Pure Land isn't up to me to speculate about, it's between him and Amida. Taking steps toward becoming a Buddha and rescuing all sentient beings would be a good way to atone for prior misdeeds.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

I agree. He is a monster and very much responsible for many acts of transgression. I do however believe in some very extreme ichinen (one recitation gets you to the pure land) type of doctrines and i think that a reformed future Asahara would be a great being.

How is that so?

The answer is that the talent was definitively there. Dalai Lama did not lie. But! What went wrong and why? Those are subjects i find fascinating to study and think about. I used to read so much about cults even as a young teenager swearing i would never accept or be a part of a destructive group.

That there is hope in the pure land dharma is my main point. Even for the most fallen.
vikas113

Post by vikas113 »

Buddha's vows never fail. Tathagataha practised the Bodhisattva vows for trillions of immeasurable kalpas rescuing innumerable kotis of beings. Amitabha's vows stand firm like gold sumeru mountain rescuing beings equally in ten directions alike. So how can a evil man fall into evil paths after sincerely reciting Amitabha's name.

The visualzation sutra states that even those with 5 henious crimes will be born in his pureland with sincere rectiation will get born in Amitabha's pureland. So how can that evil man fail? It's impossible.

A small stone may sink in the ocean but a great ship will carry innumerable heavy rocks to the shore. The great ship is Amitabha's vows.

The Buddha predicits Buddhahood to those who with a confused and distracted mind toss even a single flower with Buddha in mind in the Lotu Sutra. So how can an evil man with sincere repentance chant Buddha at the end of his life fail to be reborn in front of Buddhas? It's impossible.

Indeed he will be born in pureland with sincere repentance and dedicated recitation. So will all beings good or evil alike who have nothing but only the Buddha as a refuge a continuously chants their holy names. Just one Amitabha recitation without doubt removes evil karma of 80 kotis of kalpas. So how can that evil man fail?

Namo Amitabha Buddha! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I kinda find it slightly distasteful. Like yeah all the best to him, but still I think these thoughts are bit better to keep inside like the thought "I am glad chinese invaded tibet and killed milions because without that I wouldnt be able to study with my lamas in the west" (this is just a random example, but you get me right?). But sorry do go on.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Can we start a pool to bet on how long it takes Greg to close threads?
I give this thread about six more posts.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

It is distasteful. But even Dalai Lama says they are still friends. I just really wanted the highest perspective of it.

Despite Tibet having been invaded, the dharma flourishes in the west. Despite being a total scam, Shoko Asahara would be saved. Despite the grittiness and suckyness of my life, it is wonderful and perfect.
Yuren

Post by Yuren »

I don't want to comment on Shoko Asahara. Goes without saying that his evil acts deserve condemnation.
Still, I post the following here as it can be useful for reflection:
Even a good person attains birth in the Pure Land, how much more so the evil person.

But the peoples of the world constantly say, even the evil person attains birth, how much more so the good person. Although this appears to be sound at first glance, it goes against the intention of the Primal Vow of Other Power. The reason is that since the person of self-power, being conscious of doing good, lacks the thought of entrusting himself completely to Other Power, he is not the focus of the Primal Vow of Amida. But when he turns over self-power and entrusts himself to Other Power, he attains birth in the land of True Fulfillment.

The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who entrusts himself to Other Power is truly the one who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!
Shinran's Tannisho III
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Though it sounds easy for someone with horrible crimes to sincerely think of Amitabha before death, it is extremely rare and unlikely. First of all, an insignificant fraction of people who have commited atrocities even live in a country where Amitabha is widely known. Those who do live in such a country are very likely to die without having someone come to them and talk to them about Amitabha, I assume this is the vast majority. Even the extremely small percentage who actually have someone come and talk to them about Amitabha, like possibly Shoko Asahara, may not develop any faith and may not sincerely wish call his name. Someone who does all that, already has the necessary karmic links for this to happen.

Return to “Pure Land”