Jodoshu and Jodoshinshu difference on the attendent bodhisattvas

daveshek

Jodoshu and Jodoshinshu difference on the attendent bodhisattvas

Post by daveshek »

I've seen some references readings through a few pages here to the idea that Jodo Shin Shu doesn't venerate the Bodhisattvas Seishi and Kannon as much as Jodo Shu, and I'm curious what that means in practice. I tried to post this question once I already, but I think I might have only clicked preview and not post, so hopefully this doesn't end up a double post.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: Jodoshu and Jodoshinshu difference on the attendent bodhisattvas

Post by Admin_PC »

Sorry, we have a trial period for new users.

In some Shin butsudans you won't even find an Amida statue, merely the 6 character scroll. One of the main practices in Shin, if you can call it a practice, is the idea of 聞法 monpo. It literally means "listening to the Dharma", but in Shin it means looking/listening for the workings of Amida's infinite compassion in one's life. The workings of the Bodhisattvas and Dharma guarding devas; in fact all of the compassion we receive in our lives, are all considered to come from the blessings of Amida. I don't think this means ignoring those Bodhisattvas so much as viewing them as extensions of Amida's compassion.

Hopefully some folks better versed in Shin chime in to give a better answer.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

daveshek wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:02 am I've seen some references readings through a few pages here to the idea that Jodo Shin Shu doesn't venerate the Bodhisattvas Seishi and Kannon as much as Jodo Shu, and I'm curious what that means in practice. I tried to post this question once I already, but I think I might have only clicked preview and not post, so hopefully this doesn't end up a double post.
A very basic answer is that when you worship Amida you're automatically worshipping and honoring all other buddhas and boddhisatvas.
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Is it possible to follow Jodo Shinshu and yet practice devotion to these bodhisattvas? I'm interested in Japanese Pure Land Buddhism (leaning more toward Shinshu) but I have a strong devotion to Kannon-sama (Chinese Guan Yin).
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Hi, Kiwi. This is NurEsperante from the Pure Land subreddit :)

Other buddhas are not absent in Jodoshu or Shinshu. Avalokite is one of the Three Pure Land Sages.
Shaunc's answer is very good. Buddhas all share the same nature. The differences lie in the methods and forms they use to benefit beings.
For Honen and Shinran, the most universal and effective method is remembrance of Amida, seeking birth in his land.
Reading their writings directly is always a good idea.

In East Asia and Tibet, it's understood that Avalokite and the Medicine Buddha also lead beings to Amida's land.
But the practices are different from Jodoshu and Shinshu.

We're free to venerate any buddha and follow that buddha's method.
Where things get tricky is if you decide you like 90% of a teaching.
You don't want to try to reinvent the wheel.
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Pure Land”