Differences between Chinese and Japanese Pure Land Buddhism

KiwiNFLFan

Differences between Chinese and Japanese Pure Land Buddhism

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

I've just come back from a vacation to Japan, where I visited a number of Buddhist temples, including Higashi Honganji, one of the two head temples of Jodo Shinshu. I attended a morning service at another Jodo Shinshu temple in Tokyo and really liked it.

On the other hand, I have very little experience with Chinese Pure Land Buddhism. I did come across the concept when I lived in Malaysia almost 10 years ago, but didn't learn much about it.

Are there many differences between the two traditions? I know they both believe in devotion to Amitabha Buddha, but what else is different? I suspect there will be liturgical differences as well. But apart from that, what are the main differences? Are there practices that are done in one tradition but not the other? What about vegetarianism? I know that most Japanese Buddhists eat meat and that vegetarianism is significant among Chinese Buddhists (who have had "fake meat" for hundreds of years).

Also, is the Japanese concept of ta-riki or "other power" (i.e. relying totally on Amitabha Buddha to take you to the Pure Land) present in Chinese Buddhism?
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: Differences between Chinese and Japanese Pure Land Buddhism

Post by Admin_PC »

It’s hard to generalize, because there’s some variation but Chinese Pure Land tends to not be quite as exclusive. Whether it’s exclusive nembutsu, exclusively focusing on Amida, or exclusive Other Power. For example, at Ven Chin Kung’s Amitabha Society branches, they recite the Ksitigarbha Sūtra once a month.

Ta-Riki = 他力, yes it exists in Chinese Pure Land. Some teach that Pure Land works as a combination of Self Power and Other Power, others not as much on the Self Power. Nobody does exclusive Other Power to the extent of Shin Buddhists though.

Vegetarianism is a lot more common in Chinese Pure Land. Chinese Pure Land clergy are celibate monks. Chinese Pure Land stresses the 4 sutras, 1 chapter, and 1 commentary rather than the 3 sutras. Other sutras are also studied and practiced.
rory

Post by rory »

Don't forget Tendai; Genshin was a great teacher of Pure Land Buddhism!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genshin
The Japanese Tendai tradition continued the common trend of syncretism practiced by the Chinese T'ien-t'ai tradition and most schools of Chinese Buddhism...
In such a way, Pure Land thought and practice developed in Japanese Tendai alongside the four teachings of hokke-engyo , Tantra, the Precepts, and Ch'an. These five teachings were merged into the teaching of the Three Vehicles United as One (ichijo-kai-e).
The Kamakura period (1192-1333) marked a strong departure from this syncreticism with the establishment of new, uniquely Japanese schools focused around the idea of a single, exclusive practice.
http://www.jsri.jp/English/Honen/LIFE/T ... pment.html
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

rory wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:46 pm Don't forget Tendai; Genshin was a great teacher of Pure Land Buddhism!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genshin
The Japanese Tendai tradition continued the common trend of syncretism practiced by the Chinese T'ien-t'ai tradition and most schools of Chinese Buddhism...
In such a way, Pure Land thought and practice developed in Japanese Tendai alongside the four teachings of hokke-engyo , Tantra, the Precepts, and Ch'an. These five teachings were merged into the teaching of the Three Vehicles United as One (ichijo-kai-e).
The Kamakura period (1192-1333) marked a strong departure from this syncreticism with the establishment of new, uniquely Japanese schools focused around the idea of a single, exclusive practice.
http://www.jsri.jp/English/Honen/LIFE/T ... pment.html
gassho
Rory
Fascinating, thanks! It is interesting, that description of Tendai pretty much sounds like Vietnamese Buddhism overall, so I think drawing a line between contemporary mainland Buddhism and Japanese Tendai makes a great deal of sense to me.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

Return to “Pure Land”