Jodo Shinshu forum

KiwiNFLFan

Jodo Shinshu forum

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

As there is no forum (that I've found) specifically dedicated to Jodo Shinshu, I have created one.

https://jodoshinshuforum.tk/

As someone who is learning about Jodo Shinshu myself, I'd like somewhere to ask questions.
steveb1

Re: Jodo Shinshu forum

Post by steveb1 »

Hi,

I just now registered. Good luck to the new forum.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

I tried to register but I'm not having a lot of luck.
Maybe it's my karma :D
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Don't think the registration emails are going out.
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

Admin_PC wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:12 pm Don't think the registration emails are going out.
Sadly, I think that's true. I haven't received the certified email confirmation to officially register...
truthb

Post by truthb »

The website doesn't load for me.....

Could we have a Jodo Shinshu section on this website?
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

We're discussing it among the mods.
Would you mind sharing some reasons you would want a separate subforum?

To my eyes, the bigger challenge is how slow this Pure Land subforum can be in general.
But there are lots of reasons for that.
Any suggestions in that area would be most appreciated, too!
Namu Amida Butsu
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

Not sure about others but I am getting ...
This site can’t be reached
jodoshinshuforum.tk took too long to respond.
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

Mönlam Tharchin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:33 pm We're discussing it among the mods.
Would you mind sharing some reasons you would want a separate subforum?

To my eyes, the bigger challenge is how slow this Pure Land subforum can be in general.
But there are lots of reasons for that.
Any suggestions in that area would be most appreciated, too!
There are enough different traditions of Pure Land Buddhism with different perspectives that sub-forums could potentially be helpful. But I don't think the Pure Land forum is really big enough at this point for that to really be an issue. The Nichiren forum is split into several subforums, and most of them never get used, and I think that is likely what would happen here as well.

I don't have any suggestions for making this forum less slow or more active. I don't think there is really enough of an audience online to make it more active than it is now.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
truthb

Post by truthb »

Thanks for asking... I thought to share more why I'd like this

A few reasons

Jodo Shinshu, more specifically, Shinran's path of other-power reliance is it's own thing. While we look to the same sutras as other Pureland Paths, it is really a radically different path from all other forms of Buddha-Dharma..... It is so different that many Buddhists claimed (and still claim) that what Honen and Shinran taught actually isn't Buddhism.

To have a place where people can share and support each other on the "other power path" would be a huge resource for the worldwide sangha!

There is no such place... At first, it would be slow... and I predict it would pick up.

Personally, I am HUNGRY for such a community and I can't fathom that I would be the only one.

Namu Amida Butsu
User 3495

Post by User 3495 »

truthb wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 am Jodo Shinshu, more specifically, Shinran's path of other-power reliance is it's own thing. While we look to the same sutras as other Pureland Paths, it is really a radically different path from all other forms of Buddha-Dharma..... It is so different that many Buddhists claimed (and still claim) that what Honen and Shinran taught actually isn't Buddhism.
Well reliance on other power is not a completely foreign idea to other Buddhist traditions - dharani, the Kannon Sutra etc. all rely on other power. The three Pure Land Sutras also belong to the oldest Mahayana sutras. People who claim that Honen’s and Shinran’s teachings aren’t Buddhism have a very private definition of what Buddhism is.
truthb

Post by truthb »

Well reliance on other power is not a completely foreign idea to other Buddhist traditions - dharani, the Kannon Sutra etc. all rely on other power. The three Pure Land Sutras also belong to the oldest Mahayana sutras. People who claim that Honen’s and Shinran’s teachings aren’t Buddhism have a very private definition of what Buddhism is.
I don't disagree that it is completely foreign, however, I disagree that what they do with it is like any other school.

The basis of Shinran's teaching is this:
NO ONE, mot one out of a billion of people can achieve enlightenment through self-power practices anymore
Our ONLY hope for Buddhahood is the renunciation of ALL such practices
With COMPLETE reliance on Amida.

And that's why I personally would like a Jodo Shinshu forum, because it's approach is so radical.

Namu Amida Butsu
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Created a new Jodo Shin Shu subforum for Jodo Shin Shu practitioners to discuss Shin teachings.
truthb

Post by truthb »

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Sorry, the forum is down. I'll look into it.

UPDATE: The forum will look slightly different. Hopefully I'll have it running by this time tomorrow.
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Hi guys,

Jodo Shinshu Forum is back up and running. I used a different forum software, so you'll have to re-register. Sorry.
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:13 pm Hi guys,

Jodo Shinshu Forum is back up and running. I used a different forum software, so you'll have to re-register. Sorry.
:twothumbsup:
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Just run into another snag - registration emails aren't going out due to a technical issue. I'm hoping to get it fixed tomorrow, but in the meantime, if you PM me your desired username and email, I'll create an account for you with a default password you can change later.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Just FYI - you guys have free reign to post any Shin stuff you like on the Shin subforum here. Not trying to stop you from creating your own thing, but the Shin subforum here has only one post since it's creation at the beginning of last month and could at least serve as a stopgap until the technical issues are resolved.
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

UPDATE:

Activation emails should now be being sent out. Go ahead, sign up and post away!

(Note: activation emails may appear in your junk/spam folder)

Return to “Pure Land”