Hongaku and Pure Land

Hammerheart

Hongaku and Pure Land

Post by Hammerheart » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi there, I've recently read about Genshin, a Tendai monk who also taught the Pure Land teachings. His 'original enlightenment' doctrine influenced the Tendai thought, but what about Pure Land? Did this doctrine had an impact on this teaching?

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Hongaku and Pure Land

Post by 明安 Myoan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:52 pm

Here is some information from the Jodo Shu perspective.
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

The Fundamental Vow [of Amitabha Buddha] is just for such people as woodcutters and grassgatherers, vegetable pickers, drawers of water and the like, illiterate folk who merely recite the Buddha's name wholeheartedly, confident that as a result of saying "Namu Amida Butsu" they will be born into the western land. -- Master Hōnen

Shaku Kenshin

Post by Shaku Kenshin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:24 am

Hi Hammerheart, some of the earliest hongaku works belong to the genre of Pure Land literature. Like the Shinnyokan, the Kanjinryakuyoshu, the Myogyoshinyoshu, or the Jigyonenbutsumondo. Many of them state Genshin as the author, but most scholars assume that they are apocrypha from the late Heian period.

Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:34 am

Hammerheart wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:10 pm
Hi there, I've recently read about Genshin, a Tendai monk who also taught the Pure Land teachings. His 'original enlightenment' doctrine influenced the Tendai thought, but what about Pure Land? Did this doctrine had an impact on this teaching?
This is an article by Rev. Alfred Bloom on the topic:

The Ultimacy of Jodo Shinshu: Shinran's Response to Tendai
http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-ENG/bloom.htm

Return to “Pure Land”