Jim Carey experiences no - self

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Malcolm

Re: Jim Carey experiences no - self

Post by Malcolm » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:24 pm
https://www.avclub.com/jim-carrey-expla ... 1817066418

This got brought up at a teaching I went to, I hadn't heard about it because I don't read stuff like this.

Yeah, he says some funny stuff about tetrahedrons and other new age sounding stuff, but it seems that through acting, Jim Carey had an initial experience of Anatta. Amusingly, to most commentators, he appears to be "crazy", and almost every article I read just dismisses him as such.

For myself at least, it was just such an experience that solidified my interest in Dharma, mine came from working at weddings all the time, one day I just couldn't get over the "this is not real", "this is like a play" feeling when I was watching people dance, hobnob, put on airs, etc.

Anyway, despite being kind of disjointed, I felt like his words actually had some wisdom, and he says some things that are -exactly- what these people need to hear.. and the reaction to them says a lot about our society. Their reaction to his words really makes clear the vapidity of celebrity culture.

Later on someone asks him about the interview and he says:
‘Who’s Jim Carrey? Oh, he doesn’t exist actually.’ There’s just a relative manifestation of consciousness appearing, and someone gave him a name, a religion, a nationality, and he clustered those together into something that’s supposed to be a personality, and it doesn’t actually exist. None of that stuff, if you drill down, is real.”

Field of energy dancing for itself....hahahaha.

reminds me of that dumb billy idol (also famous circulating STDs) song:

Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Free of hope and fear, relax.
Human life spent in
a state of great spaciousness is enjoyable.

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:03 pm

A lot of people are giving him stick, but I reckon overall his recent 'stunts' will prove more benefical than harmful. If even just 1000 Carey fans decide to look in to any of the philosophical roots and systems that diminish the identification with the ego, that can only be a good thing. This is all regardless of his shortcomings as a samsaric human and ability to teach these things.
"The changing cycle of joy and sorrow, like the changing seasons –
As a time of suffering will surely come around to me,
May I truly practice the sublime teachings."
- Dudjom Rinpoche

jkarlins

Post by jkarlins » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 pm

I hope so. My sense is that he didn't have much of a breakthrough, and like others have said, already being a huge star weirdly provides a lot of obstacles. Would I stick with a difficult practice, and an irritating sangha if I could just jump in a plane fly to one of my beautiful homes? I don't think I would. His personal mistakes aside, just being at that level of wealth and fame makes it tricky to be a real practitioner- more choices, more temptations. And being a real practitioner is how those actual breakthroughs happen and take root.

I have no idea if Carrey will get enlightened. It's not impossible, I guess. If his example helps others, that's good.

Jake

cky

Post by cky » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm only answering to provide a tiny bit more open perspective to the whole thing.

Who knows what happened to him? How well do you know this guy? If you're not his teacher, stop the judgements and projections?

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:19 pm

cky wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:38 pm
I'm only answering to provide a tiny bit more open perspective to the whole thing.

Who knows what happened to him? How well do you know this guy? If you're not his teacher, stop the judgements and projections?

Through Dzogchen we can really understand what God is and we don’t have to worry if there is a God or not. God always exists as our real nature, the base, for everybody. - Chögyal Namkhai Norbu

jkarlins

Post by jkarlins » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 pm

:tongue:

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:21 am

jkarlins wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 pm
I hope so. My sense is that he didn't have much of a breakthrough, and like others have said, already being a huge star weirdly provides a lot of obstacles. Would I stick with a difficult practice, and an irritating sangha if I could just jump in a plane fly to one of my beautiful homes? I don't think I would. His personal mistakes aside, just being at that level of wealth and fame makes it tricky to be a real practitioner- more choices, more temptations. And being a real practitioner is how those actual breakthroughs happen and take root.

I have no idea if Carrey will get enlightened. It's not impossible, I guess. If his example helps others, that's good.

Jake
Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, probably a bunch of others have found that running away to a beach house in Malibu isnt going to solve anything. Maybe someone needs to arrange a meeting between JC and KD Lang.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:58 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:21 am
Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, probably a bunch of others have found that running away to a beach house in Malibu isnt going to solve anything.

Apparently what worked for Cohen was running away to Bombay. I don't know what worked for Lou though.
Through Dzogchen we can really understand what God is and we don’t have to worry if there is a God or not. God always exists as our real nature, the base, for everybody. - Chögyal Namkhai Norbu

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:03 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:58 am
TharpaChodron wrote:
Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, probably a bunch of others have found that running away to a beach house in Malibu isnt going to solve anything.

Apparently what worked for Cohen was running away to Bombay. I don't know what worked for Lou though.
Smack, at least for a while.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Free of hope and fear, relax.
Human life spent in
a state of great spaciousness is enjoyable.

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:47 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:58 am
TharpaChodron wrote:

He did five years retreat at Mt. Baldy Zen center, but I guess he moved back to Malibu afterwards. ;)

jkarlins

Post by jkarlins » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:55 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
jkarlins wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Jake
Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, probably a bunch of others have found that running away to a beach house in Malibu isnt going to solve anything. Maybe someone needs to arrange a meeting between JC and KD Lang.
Yah. One of my fellow Kagyupas!

You know what they should do, those lamas, discover some teaching that's tailor made for rich celebrity types. Like when you hear the Buddha manifested teachings for busy monarchs.

Jake

CapNCrunch

Post by CapNCrunch » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Malcolm:
Field of energy dancing for itself....hahahaha.
reminds me of that dumb billy idol (also famous circulating STDs) song:
Positively side-splitting given the urban dictionary sense of BI's song.

Even though Idol denies it (what would he know) many people believe the song refers to widespread activity that is for the most part safe, entertaining, and a lot less likely to spread STD's. (though earlier anecdotal reports before the data was in did indicate said activity made some people susceptible to vision loss and other horrors)

https://archive.org/stream/ToYoungMenOn ... y_djvu.txt)

A worldly-wise (yet obviously evolving) man like Carey knows a charged statement like "field of energy dancing for itself" would have many people making the same association to the pop song.

Ergo, it obviously follows that Jim (ever the comedian) *must* be indicating tongue-in-cheek that his great insight is that it's all only one big cosmic wank. :rolling:

I really do hope he's starting to feel disgust for samsara. However, after actually watching the clip cited and seeing how hammered he looks, it seems just as likely his babble is fueled by taking refuge in Peruvian marching powder. I hope not.

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 pm

jkarlins wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:55 pm
You know what they should do, those lamas, discover some teaching that's tailor made for rich celebrity types. Like when you hear the Buddha manifested teachings for busy monarchs.

Jake
I think it was called secular Buddhism. The only problem was that the rich patrons being taught didn't want to have to actually change anything about themselves in order to change, so Buddhism had to change.

Anyway, It's a mistake to conflate a monarch with a celebrity, a politician, or even the head of some major corporation anyway. Monarchs in earlier times were targeted because they would essentially force the entire population to convert through threat of violence. In the States, of course we're all armed to the teeth, so once you actually reach the hearts and minds of the populace there's no need to bother with trying to get Iggy Azalea or something to flaunt their practice.

Jim Carey is a good role model, though. Like Asoka. And Steven Seagal. :smile:

jkarlins

Post by jkarlins » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:39 pm

The Cicada wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 pm
jkarlins wrote:

Jake
I think it was called secular Buddhism. The only problem was that the rich patrons being taught didn't want to have to actually change anything about themselves in order to change, so Buddhism had to change.

Anyway, It's a mistake to conflate a monarch with a celebrity, a politician, or even the head of some major corporation anyway. Monarchs in earlier times were targeted because they would essentially force the entire population to convert through threat of violence. In the States, of course we're all armed to the teeth, so once you actually reach the hearts and minds of the populace there's no need to bother with trying to get Iggy Azalea or something to flaunt their practice.

Jim Carey is a good role model, though. Like Asoka. And Steven Seagal. :smile:
hahahah
no that's not what I meant at all

Monlam Tharchin

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 pm

jkarlins wrote:
Yah. One of my fellow Kagyupas!
Here's a third one :hi:
Namo Amitabha Buddha

jkarlins