Tsadra Foundation website rollout on Buddha Nature

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Tsadra Foundation website rollout on Buddha Nature

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

This Saturday 9/27/20 at 10a New York time, Tsadra Foundation is rolling out its website on Buddha Nature. There’s a zoom link and it will be on Facebook live. I assume it will be archived on YouTube. Two of my western hero’s, Shenpen Hookham and Karl Brunnhölzl. will be among the speakers.

But more relevant to DW discussions is the website itself. It a well organized and well researched presentation of how Buddha Nature is understood in various schools, including East Asian schools. Of course it includes both Tibetan Mind-Only and Empty-of-Other interpretations. I think a lot of DW proclamations of “no forM of Buddhism believes X” type of statements will be disproven.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Re: Tsadra Foundation website rollout on Buddha Nature

Post by Malcolm »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:23 pm I think a lot of DW proclamations of “no forM of Buddhism believes X” type of statements will be disproven.
Buddhist beliefs are N+1. The question is whether or not such beliefs are Buddhist in Name Only [BINO], for example, the Pudgalavādin position.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:23 pm
Buddhist beliefs are N+1. The question is whether or not such beliefs are Buddhist in Name Only [BINO], for example, the Pudgalavādin position.
BINO. I like that.

BTW, for those that haven’t already figured it out, I used to be smcj here. The DW program has a glitch in it. I got locked out of my account for months. I thought I had been banned. I created a second account, and an administrator figured out I’m the same person. She merged the two accounts for me.

They know about the glitch. I still can’t log in on my laptop. It’s just another 2020 happening.
Last edited by Schrödinger’s Yidam on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Reading the description of the symposium on Tathâgatagarbha,

https://conference.tsadra.org/upcoming- ... symposium/

I doubt that from the premise they are taking, that they will arrive at any type of new understanding.

The debate on which they are focusing their attention is an old one, over whether “Buddha-nature” (Tathâgatagarbha) is already inherent in all beings, or whether beings begin without Buddha nature and must develop/acquire it.

The problem with this question is that the issue of whether Tathâgatagarbha is inherent or not, is that if one understands that nothing truly exists that can be identified as ‘self’ the whole issue becomes moot. There is no inherently existing “me” in which Buddha nature already exists or can be acquired/developed. There is only the dissolution of the habitual experience of “me” through which buddhahood is eventually realized.
However, this does not mean that there is no Buddha-nature!

The “potential” or “seed” of buddhahood as an existent “thing” like some tiny Buddha statue trapped inside your material body, this is a mere construct. It’s like saying that within a sleeping, dreaming person is a wide awake person who will emerge once the dream ends. Within the dream, the imagined “self” is wide awake, but it’s not as though the dreamt-of “awake person” will break out of the dream. Rather, when the dream ends, so does the actor in the dream. Likewise, there’s not an awake Buddha trapped in your samsara.

At the same time, using the same analogy, a dreaming person, meaning the “me” actor in the dream, doesn’t acquire/develop a state of “awakenedness” when the alarm clock goes off. The dream ends. Likewise, when the illusion of samsara ends, what remains is buddha.

So, it’s like asking whether the imagined “me” in the dream has the inherent potential to exist “awakened” outside of that dream once the dream ends. Maybe that imaged dream “me” can fly or is being chased by tigers or whatever. So, I’m going to say the answer to that is ‘no’. This is analogous to saying that the imagined self we cling to out of ignorance, that causes suffering, that “imagined” self does not already possess Buddha nature, because it doesn’t really even exist to begin with.

At the same time, was there someone sleeping all along, having that dream of the imagined “me”, who will be there when the alarm clock rings and the dream ends? Yes. That is analogous to the inherent Buddha-nature. That person was there the whole time. Just as, in that sense, your Buddha nature is there the whole time.
Be kind.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

This Saturday 9/27/20 at 10a New York time, Tsadra Foundation is rolling out its website on Buddha Nature. There’s a zoom link and it will be on Facebook live. I assume it will be archived on YouTube. Two of my western hero’s, Shenpen Hookham and Karl Brunnhölzl. will be among the speakers.
Looks interesting, but haven't found the link anywhere.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

That was their 2019 Vienna symposium.
Looks interesting, but haven't found the link anywhere.
Zoom meeting ID

Here’s the url for the webcast:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83868436046?p ... BZZTdWUT09

There a note that it will be on Facebook live. But I don’t know how to do Facebook.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Cool
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:56 pm

That was their 2019 symposium.
The 2019 symposium was of an academic and translation approach. It’s on YouTube.

I don’t recommend those videos, but they may interest some people. I do recommend the new website once it is launched. It is well organized and looks at the scope of possible interpretations. You can navigate it and see different views.

Here’s the YouTube links for those 2019 speakers:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ ... viIXms1vj
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Tomorrow’s launch of Tsadra Foundation’s website dedicated to Buddha Nature will include an address from HHK 17 (Orgyen Thinley)

10am
Zoom #: 83868436046
Code: Tsadra2020
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Edit:

I finally found the event info here:

https://buddhanature.tsadra.org/index.p ... BFIEtP-gFY
Schrödinger’s Yidam

In short, Brunnhölzl’s presentation of Buddha Nature as it existed in India was more or less compatible to Malcolm’s position.

Bravo!
Interestingly, HHK said he thought that the 3 basic views should be:

Madhyamaka
Mind Only, and
Buddha Nature.

I’m assuming the videos will be on YouTube sometime soon.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:46 pm In short, Brunnhölzl’s presentation of Buddha Nature as it existed in India was more or less compatible to Malcolm’s position.
Well, Karl is a good scholar, so that is not surprising.
tobes

Post by tobes »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:02 pm
Malcolm wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:23 pm
BINO. I like that.

BTW, for those that haven’t already figured it out, I used to be smcj here. The DW program has a glitch in it. I got locked out of my account for months. I thought I had been banned. I created a second account, and an administrator figured out I’m the same person. She merged the two accounts for me.

They know about the glitch. I still can’t log in on my laptop. It’s just another 2020 happening.
Well, the name is an upgrade, so worth the trouble....... :thumbsup:

Return to “Media”