Page 1 of 1

Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:06 pm
by Khechara
''This voyage began in the middle of the 1990's in Moscow, when a group of artists and musicians led by Alexei Tegin and based at the legendary Fabrique of Cardinal Art commenced their studies of traditional ritual music, drifting away from the field of contemporary electroacoustic and industrial music with the intent to delve deeper into the ancient musical cultures of the ancient Egypt, Iran and Tibet.

The original 2003 lineup of the project that emerged as a result was dubbed Phurpa (one of the five tutelary deities of the Father Tantra in Bon tradition), and all the members have carried on with their research in the field of Bon and Buddhist liturgies up to the present day.''

http://phurpa.bandcamp.com/

phpBB [video]

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:12 pm
by Johnny Dangerous
Awesome.

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:45 pm
by Khechara
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Awesome.
I am glad you liked it Johnny!

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:13 pm
by Paul
I love industrial and experimental music (zoviet*france, Einsturzende Neubauten, Coil etc...) so this is right up my street. I have never been very fond of the new-age music combined with mantras that is often produced as Buddhist music and this is definitely a lot more exciting.

There's a lot of interesting things to explore in Tibetan art and music - especially if done by practitioners. Are these guys Buddhist?

Edit: I once found a CD that I ripped from a group called "Mappa Mundi", title Elemental Edge Music. I think they were DC practitioners. It's a really weird little CD about the creation and destruction of the 5 elements - kind of a new age noise project. Very odd and interesting.

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:03 pm
by Johnny Dangerous
Dewds, blantant self promotion:

http://www.soundcloud.com/zach-zinn

http://zachzinn.bandcamp.com

Sorry to take away from the thread lol, I love this kind of music also, I find the new agey mantra stuff unbearable, but I love the traditional Tibetan instruments and melodies, banging cymbals, conch horn...awww yeah. One thing about "noise" etc. music is that it is so abstract that when done right, it doesn't really "try" to be anything, this is what I dislike about the new-agey stuff, it's trying to hard to hook you it turns into syrup.

I think Current 93 is an example of a project that has put out some very interesting and vital "spiritual" stuff...and then some not so good heh. Of course this stuff will never be popular with the majority of Dharma folks, but for me it hits the spot.

PS Zoviet France is one of my favorite projects of all time, i've been lucky enough to get my stuff on their podcast a couple times, they are awesome, have been doing their thing for so many years now, and have never ceased being awesome. Rapoon and Dead Voice on Air are great too.

We should start a new thread for this kind of stuff maybe, i'm glad to know there are others on here with these kinds of eclectic tastes.

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:42 am
by justsit
Some here may have heard this from the sound track to the movie Words of My Perfect Teacher.
(trailer quality not the best...)


phpBB [video]

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:08 am
by Johnny Dangerous
Seems like a good thread for it, does anyone have a good list of links to non-new agey mantra recitations?

I'm able to find them here and there usually, but typically searches are 90% that sort of thing, i've had to scour around on places like soulseek for straight mantra recitation or rituals.

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:12 am
by Khechara
Paul wrote:I love industrial and experimental music (zoviet*france, Einsturzende Neubauten, Coil etc...) so this is right up my street. I have never been very fond of the new-age music combined with mantras that is often produced as Buddhist music and this is definitely a lot more exciting.

There's a lot of interesting things to explore in Tibetan art and music - especially if done by practitioners. Are these guys Buddhist?

Edit: I once found a CD that I ripped from a group called "Mappa Mundi", title Elemental Edge Music. I think they were DC practitioners. It's a really weird little CD about the creation and destruction of the 5 elements - kind of a new age noise project. Very odd and interesting.
That's excellent, Paul! I am fond of dark ambient, martial industrial, power electronics/death industrial etc. I also write for the premier online industrial and dark music periodical, Heathen Harvest.
Yeah, I have never been fond of New Age music combined with mantras and other traditional elements either. Phurpa, however, are an authentic ritual music collective and are practicing Buddhists. Their art has attracted a lot of metalheads too! (I am also a lot into this music!)

Are there any online links to check out Mappa Mundi?

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:40 pm
by KonchokZoepa
are buddhist mantras with buddhist music new agey mantra recitations?

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:53 pm
by Khechara
You guys may also like Sven Grünberg's album ''Milarepa''

phpBB [video]


Grünberg is an Estonian progressive rock, organ and electronic musician and also the chairman of the board of the Estonian Institute of Buddhism. He is mainly known for his meditative organ and electronic albums (non New-Age) based on Tibetan Buddhism.

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:54 pm
by Paul
Khechara wrote: That's excellent, Paul! I am fond of dark ambient, martial industrial, power electronics/death industrial etc. I also write for the premier online industrial and dark music periodical, Heathen Harvest.
Yeah, I have never been fond of New Age music combined with mantras and other traditional elements either. Phurpa, however, are an authentic ritual music collective and are practicing Buddhists. Their art has attracted a lot of metalheads too! (I am also a lot into this music!)
I like these Phurpa guys - they are both experimental and respectful of the material they are using. I am too attached to Tibetan Buddhism to see it used for mere shock value. But dark industrial music is surely the very best soundtrack for chod...
Are there any online links to check out Mappa Mundi?
I've not found any information on these Mappa Mundi guys anywhere online. I think it was a small project by some DC members from the mid 90's, so that's not surprising. I'm uploading it to Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRIqSmXh2u8

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:01 pm
by Johnny Dangerous
Mappa Mundi is pretty good, thanks for posting.

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:19 pm
by Paul
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Mappa Mundi is pretty good, thanks for posting.
I'm uploading the first half (creation) today, the second (destruction) tomorrow.

Re: Phurpa - A Russian Ritual Music Collective

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:23 pm
by Paul
justsit wrote:Some here may have heard this from the sound track to the movie Words of My Perfect Teacher.
(trailer quality not the best...)


phpBB [video]
That track is great - thanks for finding it. I also really love the film.