Alien & UFOs thread...

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
padma norbu

Re: Alien & UFOs thread...

Post by padma norbu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:03 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
padma norbu wrote:
phpBB [video]
Well if it's on FOX news it must be true.
Or....
http://www.alcione.org/FAM/FLIR_CONCLUSION.html
Ha, another one-liner and quickly-Googled explanation! You're amazing, how do you do it?!?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I was aware of the site which you found and the lengthy data which you obviously didn't have time to read. So, the quick turnaround of your "proof" in this case really indicates you are just ready and willing to accept any explanation without even reading it. A quick skim will suffice.

Although, the other reason I posted this was to point out (again) the fact that I don't believe everything on "just because it is on the news." And you perfectly responded to that notion as well with your comment "Well if it's on FOX news it must be true."

I do, in fact, believe the explanation you have linked... it is a much different situation from the Phoenix Lights "lens flare" explanation, which is patently ridiculous if you actually examine the evidence. That is the main point I am making here.

Sorry for the late edit, but my time is almost up on the hour window where I can edit this post and I was expecting a reply from you much earlier.
Last edited by padma norbu on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron

smcj

Post by smcj » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:04 am

Oh, and I forgot the Rendlesham Forest incident. That's a good one too. So make it a total of 4 I like. edit: But if I had to choose just one, I think it would be O'Hare.
Last edited by smcj on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:05 am

padma norbu wrote:And stop putting 3 dots on 3 lines after your posts.
I always do that. Dedication of merit.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:09 am

smcj wrote:Oh, and I forgot the Rendlesham Forest incident. That's a good one too. So make it 4 I like.
There are a veritable buttload of cases.

The overall data suggests somewhere between 3-4% are not explainable by conventional means and that, actually, the most plausible explanation is that these are intelligently piloted craft of non-human origin. And that is just UFOs. When you take into account all the alien abductee and alien witness data, as well as medieval accounts, it becomes quite convincing. But, all you need is the evidence in that 3-4%, so we don't even need to get into that sort of thing.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:10 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
padma norbu wrote:And stop putting 3 dots on 3 lines after your posts.
I always do that. Dedication of merit.
Alright, that is less annoying, then, but visually it is garbage, especially when quoting.

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:05 am

reddust wrote:“Mexico will release codices, artifacts and significant documents with evidence of Mayan and extraterrestrial contact, and all of their information will be corroborated by archaeologists,” he said. “The Mexican government is not making this statement on their own – everything we say, we’re going to back it up.”

Mexican Government Releases Proof of E.T.’s and Ancient Space Travel
Just curious, red... did anyone bother to respond to you? I am checking this out now. Sorry I missed it earlier. Thanks for the post!

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:14 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:I always do that. Dedication of merit.
:bow:
padma norbu wrote:Alright, that is less annoying, then, but visually it is garbage, especially when quoting.
I have never read a PadmaVonSamba post that was anything but intelligent, reasonable and fair. A few extra dots are nothing to be bothered by. You can always remove them when quoting if you want. :smile:

As for aliens and UFOs... well... um...

A new-ager friend once told me the Buddha was an alien and that stupas are models of his spaceship.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:52 pm

It's hilarious to consider that we humans can't even communicate with other intelligent species that live on earth yet. (Dolphins, Certain Species of monkeys, which are both very similar us compared to other animals.), If we did meet another advanced species, would we even recognize it outside of the UFO-paradigm?

Recent discoveries are making it less and less likely we are alone.
Astronomers using NASA data have calculated for the first time that in our galaxy alone, there are at least 8.8 billion stars with Earth-size planets in the habitable temperature zone.
8.8 billion habitable Earth-size planets exist in Milky Way alone
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/8-8-bill ... 8C11529186

And this is limited to species which are bound by the same laws of physics we are, if life is as prevalent in the universe as it's starting to seem like, the odds that some will be so foreign and alien-esqe that we would be unable to recognize them, or even perceive them with our limited sensory perceptions.

I personally love this subject, and I am a believer for maybe the simple fact that I hope we aren't alone in the universe, I am patiently waiting for some real proof myself however. Seti ftw :)
The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
-Henry David Thoreau

tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:03 pm

reddust wrote:“Mexico will release codices, artifacts and significant documents with evidence of Mayan and extraterrestrial contact, and all of their information will be corroborated by archaeologists,” he said. “The Mexican government is not making this statement on their own – everything we say, we’re going to back it up.”

Too bad this film has never been realized.
Seems to be quite an ugly story.

the trailer:
http://vimeo.com/39006194

and then these news:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... ker-409710
http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/01/mayan-e ... ly-busted/
http://www.openminds.tv/mayan-documenta ... -896/18167

reddust

Post by reddust » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:01 pm

padma norbu wrote:

Just curious, red... did anyone bother to respond to you? I am checking this out now. Sorry I missed it earlier. Thanks for the post!
That's okay, I post not expecting anyone to answer or respond to me, this is the nature of the net and talk boards. I love human history, I think it's far more complex and long lived than we can imagine. I think human beings as human beings have been around a lot longer then scientist expect right now. We could be our own aliens, that is a breakaway society. I don't spend a lot of time on this subject, but I have listen to Coast to Coast AM every day while I paint. I have learned a lot this last three years and I have always been fascinated with the unexplained and mysterious.
One thing is for certain: some agency or group has been operating aerial vehicles that are well beyond the capabilities of any known aircraft. Military jets of the U.S. and other nations have chased them. They do not resemble known types of vehicles. They have sometimes invaded sensitive airspace.
Link
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:26 am

dharmagoat wrote: A new-ager friend once told me the Buddha was an alien and that stupas are models of his spaceship.
We are all from some strange planet out there in the universe somewhere.
For most of us, it's this one.

Whatever one regards the most plausible explanation, for anything,
that's the explanation they are always going to go with.
many people still think that earthquakes are caused by angry gods or evil spirits.
they do not understand plate techtonics.
From one's very limited point of view, the ground appears solid.
but this tiny planet is very much like an undercooked cupcake, still hot and gooey in the middle.
If you consider how many different shapes and sizes various animal life-forms take, just on this planet alone,
with primates being the minority, and humans perhaps one of the rarest types,
and then, if you consider the sheer number of possible variations throughout the universe
(let alone our own galaxy)

Isn't it just a little bit curious that space aliens are so often "humanoid",
that their spacecrafts often seem so easily recognizable, with lights and such.
Gods also, curiously, look a lot like humans. Even when they are animals, such as Ganesha.
isn't it at all possible, that this is something that we just project on things which are unexplained?

After all, The Buddha explains that so much of what we experience is already a projection of the mind.

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:45 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:After all, The Buddha explains that so much of what we experience is already a projection of the mind.
It reminds me of this wonderful but rather tired quote:

“Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine - it is stranger than we can imagine.”
― Arthur Stanley Eddington

It is when we attempt to imagine the strange and unimaginable that it becomes banal.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:42 am

dharmagoat wrote:
PadmaVonSamba wrote:After all, The Buddha explains that so much of what we experience is already a projection of the mind.
It reminds me of this wonderful but rather tired quote:

“Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine - it is stranger than we can imagine.”
― Arthur Stanley Eddington

It is when we attempt to imagine the strange and unimaginable that it becomes banal.
I think there must be a lot of other beings in space besides Earthlings. And, while it is rather unlikely that anyone would ever find our tiny planet in the relatively short time it has existed, much less, during the speck of time that humans have been here, some day some contact may occur. But I think it is much more likely that only some remnants of our planet will ever be be discovered.

If you can imagine a tiny being (not unlike Horton Hears A Who) living on a grain of sand in the Sahara Desert, sending out a very, very faint radio signal, and that signal is the only indicator that the being is there, so there is barley even a chance that you would ever hear it, and you are on the other side of the world, and you go out on a journey, and completely at random, you happen to discover that particular grain of sand and you happen to see if there is a being living on it. There is a far greater chance of that happening than there is of beings from other planets finding the Earth. Possible/ yes, of course, but not likely. Add to that some kind of recognizable communication or technology, and while still possible, it is so unlikely that it is practically unmeasurable. But, yes, it is still possible. But if you compare that very unlikely possibility with a million other things which are far more likely to be the cause of UFO sightings, the odds are that the other possibilities are more likely.

But, what if, by sheer conjecture, you suggest possibilities that might change those odds?
What if, for example, Earth had already been colonized hundreds of thousands of years ago, so that aliens (assuming there are some) already knew about it, maybe even started life here as an experiment, and are basically just checking in on the results from time to time? Well, then that would certainly change the odds, and it would explain a whole lot of other things as well....Easter Island, Stone henge, etc. and so, this, "well, what if...?" strategy makes for a compelling argument, except for one thing, it's all based on conjecture. There is nothing to back it up. So, this kind of reasoning is useless. It doesn't seem useless at first, because it looks a whole lot like reasoning that is actually based on a known premise. Scientists use conjecture all the time, but they base their "what ifs" on known factors, not on imagined possibilities.

What interests me most, this being a Buddhist forum and all, is how the UFO & Alien phenomena relates to the notion of a 'self'. Why is it that we are uncomfortable when we don't have answers to things?
Why is an unlikely answer better than no answer?
How does this relate to ego?

Those are interesting topics.

justsit

Post by justsit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:34 am

Your post reminds me of a sci fi series by Marion Zimmer Bradley, Darkover. It begins with the crash of an Earth space craft on a distant planet believed to be uninhabited. The ship is damaged beyond repair, and the survivors form a new society. A thousand years later, that culture has developed in a most interesting way. Enter the Terrans, who are considered outsiders. No one realizes the connection for a long while.
Kind of like, we have met the aliens, and they are us.

reddust

Post by reddust » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:50 am

justsit wrote:Your post reminds me of a sci fi series by Marion Zimmer Bradley, Darkover. It begins with the crash of an Earth space craft on a distant planet believed to be uninhabited. The ship is damaged beyond repair, and the survivors form a new society. A thousand years later, that culture has developed in a most interesting way. Enter the Terrans, who are considered outsiders. No one realizes the connection for a long while.
Kind of like, we have met the aliens, and they are us.
I think this has happened to us humans several times here on earth. Look at the ancient buildings that we, our advanced building crafts and awesome machinery can't build. I would love to find out who built those ancient pyramids across the world and huge stone heads on Easter Island, the rock monoliths laid across the world on ley lines. How did these ancient people know about ley lines or lay out their buildings to match constellations in the heavens we can only see with telescopes? How did they carve designs in the earth you can only see from flying in a plane? How did the ancient peoples cut huge stone, hauled it sometimes hundreds of miles over awful terrain to set up blocks of rocks that weigh tons each, so close to each other you would have to use a laser to measure.

Don't get me started on how Buddha saw what he did and was able to share it with people….so many mysteries! Who can be bored here? Seriously!
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:34 am

prapanca.
Taking advantage of a temporary situation. Back for a short time only folks.

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:02 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:What interests me most, this being a Buddhist forum and all, is how the UFO & Alien phenomena relates to the notion of a 'self'. Why is it that we are uncomfortable when we don't have answers to things?
Why is an unlikely answer better than no answer?
How does this relate to ego?
Knowledge is power, and the self seeks power over its surroundings in order to feel secure. And the perceived power derived from false knowledge is better than no power at all.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:14 am

It's all prapanca. It's the new opium of the people. And of one thing we can be certain IF there are sentient aliens their existence will be characterised by dukkha, anicca and anatta . No refuge there.
Taking advantage of a temporary situation. Back for a short time only folks.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Simon E. wrote:It's all prapanca. It's the new opium of the people. And of one thing we can be certain IF there are sentient aliens their existence will be characterised by dukkha, anicca and anatta.

Perhaps some species are, but there are others who have reached levels of awareness that even Buddha may not have imagined. In any case, it is amusing to read how humans who, relatively speaking, have just come down out of the trees, can speak with certainty about the spiritual state of beings who are millions, if not billions, of years more advanced than them.

reddust

Post by reddust » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:15 am

Opps that's what happens when multi tasking
Last edited by reddust on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Media”