Oprah sits down with Jack Kornfield

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
reddust

Re: Oprah sits down with Jack Kornfield

Post by reddust »

padma norbu wrote:Red dust, you're obviously not talking to me, but I don't think Buddha fought with anybody. He had debates and he said much of Indian religion was useless, but he also taught basic respect for others, to give alms to Brahmins, etc.
http://read.goodweb.cn/news/news_view.asp?newsid=58532
I don't have time to dig up the sometimes funny fights, or really nasty ones, but there are many in the Pali Canon if I remember correctly. Gotama had his life threatened many times as well, not just by the Jians, He was an awesome debater and tempers on the other side would fly...But it's been a long time so I may be remembering incorrectly. I dig some more passages up later tonight. My task list is really long this week and I am so busy!

Undertaken also in the name of truth were verbal battles between different groups of wanderers. The Buddha's followers, in fact, were frequently at the receiving end of an aggressive campaign by other groups to ridicule their beliefs. The description of these incidents gives useful evidence of the prevailing atmosphere.[15] In the Udumbarika Sihanada Sutta, Nigrodha the Jain claims: Why, householder, if the Samana Gotama were to come into this assembly, with a single question only could we settle him; yea, methinks we could roll him over like an empty pot.[16]

In the Kassapa Sihanada Sutta, the Buddha speaks out:

Now there are, Kassapa, certain recluses and brahmans who are clever, subtle, experienced in controversy, hair splitters, who go about, one would think, breaking into pieces by their wisdom the speculations of their adversaries.[17]
The Forms of Violence
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

In that site I linked, it mentions this stuff and quotes Buddha as saying "It is not that I quarrel with the world but the world quarrels with me."
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
reddust

Post by reddust »

padma norbu wrote:In that site I linked, it mentions this stuff and quotes Buddha as saying "It is not that I quarrel with the world but the world quarrels with me."
I was specifically speaking of the Jains trying to bring Gotama Buddha down. In religious communities were huge fights for territory in those days and today. Back then if you lost a debate you had to kill yourself or join the other side :jawdrop:

That's from memory too...maybe wrong on that...

That's why it's so cool everyone is getting along now :thumbsup:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

reddust wrote:
padma norbu wrote:In that site I linked, it mentions this stuff and quotes Buddha as saying "It is not that I quarrel with the world but the world quarrels with me."
I was specifically speaking of the Jains trying to bring Gotama Buddha down. In religious communities were huge fights for territory in those days and today. Back then if you lost a debate you had to kill yourself or join the other side :jawdrop:

Weird, too, because I don't know much about Jainism at all, but seems like there were a lot of similarities based on this entry:
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... ifferences
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
reddust

Post by reddust »

padma norbu wrote:
reddust wrote:

Weird, too, because I don't know much about Jainism at all, but seems like there were a lot of similarities based on this entry:
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... ifferences
Yup and a lot of Buddha's first disciples came from the Jain (I can't remember the name of the group) camp and Gotama practiced with them prior to his enlightenment. Their extreme practices almost killed him. I have a great little book that goes into all the jokes and fights in the Pali Canon and I can't find it!
It was as a Shramana that the Buddha left his father's palace and practised austerities.[21] Gautama Buddha regarded extreme austerities and self-mortification as useless or unnecessary in attaining enlightenment, recommending instead a "middle way" between the extremes of hedonism and self-mortification. Devadatta, a cousin of Gautama, caused a split in the Buddhist saṅgha by demanding more rigorous practices. Followers of Mahāvīra (who was a Jain) continued to practice fasting and other austerities.

The Brahmajāla Sutta mentions many śramaṇas with whom Buddha disagreed.
from wiki

Return to “Media”