Interview with the Arahat

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
dzogchungpa

Interview with the Arahat

Post by dzogchungpa »

phpBB [video]
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Interview with the Arahat

Post by kirtu »

Probably the arhat thing was meant facetiously.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

kirtu wrote:Probably the arhat thing was meant facetiously.
On his part? I'm not so sure.
See "Question #2: Why do you call yourself an arahat if you still are developing and changing?" here:

http://integrateddaniel.info/my-experim ... actualism/
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

dzogchungpa wrote:
See "Question #2: Why do you call yourself an arahat if you still are developing and changing?" here:

He does say ~2:08: "I might be just totally full of s**t." Those are his words, not mine.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I think it's refreshing to see someone talk openly about the things he does.
It can be very confusing and discouraging to see people for example negate that anyone has even the most basic attainment of stream-enterer.
But I suppose that's why I don't subscribe to the thousands of lifetimes to do anything worth a fart model of some schools.
Namu Amida Butsu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

duckfiasco wrote: But I suppose that's why I don't subscribe to the thousands of lifetimes to do anything worth a fart model of some schools.
That would be common Mahāyāna.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

People have different experiences. I'm glad to see Mr. Ingram share his encouraging words, and his book was instrumental in bringing insight practice down from the lofty heavens into my own small and distracted practice.

Malcolm: :namaste:
Namu Amida Butsu
plwk

Post by plwk »

Probably the arhat thing was meant facetiously.
Yeah, who knows huh, as discussed here?
greentara

Post by greentara »

The arhat conversation with Buddha at the gas pump was interesting, at times idealistic, even good fun but lots and lots of chatter.
I'd much rather listen to Ajahn Sumedho.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

dzogchungpa wrote:

He's not an Arhat because an Arhat will never even experience the arising of negative emotions. He says he experiences them still (they arise within his mind).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Kunzang

Post by Kunzang »

duckfiasco wrote:I'm glad to see Mr. Ingram share his encouraging words,
That's Dr. Ingram. After he attained nibbana he went to medical school - quite the overachiever! He used to work in the emergency room at one of the local hospitals here in Huntsville; "Dr. Dan" I heard he was called. He's since moved to Mississippi.

I read most of his book. One interesting thing was that some of the experiences he said he had when he attained 3rd jhanna were nearly identical to ones I had only a few weeks after beginning formal meditation. I was later told those are just "nyams", and not to cling to them - but I don't believe I've attained the 3rd jhanna. That's one of the curious things about the revived meditation tradition in Theravada - since the living experiential lineage of instruction died out, in their re-creation of it they have to speculate about what all the experiences that arise are and try to map them to the textual tradition but it's like they're groping around in the dark.
Critics slap labels on you and then expect you to talk inside their terms. - Doris Lessing
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

According to the bio for the video, "He was also authorized and encouraged to teach by a lineaged abbot of the Mahasi Sayadaw tradition". Does anyone know what the story is with that?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

dzogchungpa wrote:According to the bio for the video, "He was also authorized and encouraged to teach by a lineaged abbot of the Mahasi Sayadaw tradition". Does anyone know what the story is with that?
OK, I did some digging around and I think I figured out what he's referring to.
From here: https://web.archive.org/web/20070615185 ... C&start=20
For those interested in the story about Sayadaw U Pandita, Junior, (not to be confused with Sayadaw U Pandita of Panditarama in Burma, though they are in the same lineage) he was the abbot of the Malaysian Buddhist Meditation Centre in Penang, Malaysia (a Mahasi Center) when I did my last retreat there in April, 2003, and during that time I made very good progress. I told him that I hadn't really taught much for 6 years and was thinking of teaching again. He looked me straight in the eye, and with an unusually loud voice said, "GOOD!" That's the story of getting permission to teach.

Return to “Media”