Thai Authorities continue standoff at Buddhist temple

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Thai Authorities continue standoff at Buddhist temple

Post by Grigoris »

Thai Authorities continue standoff at Buddhist temple.
BANGKOK —

The Thai military government, in a test of political resolve, is in a standoff with monks from an influential Buddhist temple that has placed religious politics at the center of national debate.

The Wat Phra Dhammakaya temple complex, located 50 kilometers north of Bangkok, covers 336 hectares, has a series of buildings and meditation centers reportedly worth an estimated $10 billion.

Authorities are searching for the temple's abbot, who has eluded arrest on charges related to millions of dollars in embezzled funds that were donated to the temple.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
gescom

Re: Thai Authorities continue standoff at Buddhist temple

Post by gescom »

Yes, forget being a CEO, being an Abbot is where the money is.. :smile:

There was also this story concerning wildlife trafficking, the mistreatment of tigers and monks beings arrested (at a separate temple / tourist attraction):

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-24/t ... ue/8301812
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Dhammakaya is the Thai Buddhist equivalent of evangelical megachurches IIRC. Dhammawheel probably knows more.
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Wat Dhammakaya
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=339

DSI presses charges against Dhammakaya spokesman
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... es-charges

Temple siege heightens, both sides strengthen positions
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/1 ... -positions
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

i've been thinking, to the maffias it is very easy to infiltrate idiots among the monkhood. now i wonder who this abbot really is..
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

javier.espinoza.t wrote:i've been thinking, to the maffias it is very easy to infiltrate idiots among the monkhood. now i wonder who this abbot really is..
How much can you believe about what they say about him? The problem is that the mainstream Theravada community (mainly the leaders of the mainstream Theravada community) are all up in arms about this organisation because it is stealing their fan base (and by extension their $$$). Right now the mainstream Theravada community is working in collusion with the military junta in order to try and destroy Dhammakaya and reduce its popularity. This, of course, means that the mainstream media are also playing the game. Dhammakaya has it's own satellite channel so...

How much is politics and power, and how much of the issue is Dhamma?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

The figure in question seems to be either a fraud or else one of the greatest siddhas of all time. On his TV show, he is always making pronouncements about how he can instantly see the past lives of others, and perform other such extraordinary acts. There are not a few monks in Thailand who claim this on some level or other, but he has become large enough to get onto the radar of the authorities, and has accumulated vast tax-free wealth into the bargain. He is also rumored to be closely attached to the former Prime Minister (also fabulously wealthy) who is currently living in Dubai to avoid (thoroughly justified) corruption charges.

Historically, the Central government in Bangkok, no matter who it happens to be, has periodically intervened in sangha affairs whenever they judge certain monks to be a threat to the authority of the state. They have never resorted to violence against protesting monks, though, as the government of Myanmar has.

Return to “Media”