Akiane, artistic genius

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Nicholas Weeks

Akiane, artistic genius

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

After many years of trying to get her clearest vision of Jesus on canvas, she did succeed. A short video on her young life's struggles ends with us seeing the final painting.

phpBB [video]
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Norwegian

Re: Akiane, artistic genius

Post by Norwegian »

Honestly, I am not impressed. To term this "artistic genius", is an atrocious abuse of the term "genius" in the context of art and painting.

Artistically, I find it extremely boring, dull, simple, and flat. The painting looks like a cheap mass-produced portrait done at some Wall-Mart photo shop in some small town. In terms of art, there's nothing of interest to be found in that painting (or any of her paintings).

When I googled her name, I got up a number of interesting hits:

http://theleagueofreason.co.uk/viewtopi ... 5&start=20

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274237

So, the general art crowd seems to be highly critical, whereas zealous Christians in the American Christian religious communities seem to be raving about the paintings, "blessed by God", "light of Jesus" or whatever (and of course the Jesus that is painted, is the archetypal American White Jesus variant), because here you have a young girl and she's blessed by God and blah blah look at how fantastic her Jesus paintings are...

If you want to observe artistic genius, study the works of Munch, Monet, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Dalí, da Vinci, Bosch, Aivazovsky, Rubens, Vermeer, and so on.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

That's one white, handsome Jesus.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

My use of 'genius' is the older meaning:
Among the ancients, a good or evil spirit or demon supposed to preside over a man's destiny in life, that is, to direct his birth and actions and be his guard and guide; a tutelary deity; the ruling and protecting power of men.
She started have visions as a child and still does. She saw this vision of a Jesus face at age 8 or so.

As for his being white skinned...

I have a wooden bas relief done in Java many years ago. It shows a standing dark bodhisattva (with halo) facing two dark women, one standing and one kneeling. At least that is how it appeared to me and any visitors I show it to. Actually, it is a carving of Jesus, Mary and Martha as seen by the brown-skinned Javanese.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Nicholas Weeks wrote:My use of 'genius' is the older meaning:
Among the ancients, a good or evil spirit or demon supposed to preside over a man's destiny in life, that is, to direct his birth and actions and be his guard and guide; a tutelary deity; the ruling and protecting power of men.

:tongue:
Kim
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Nicholas Weeks wrote:My use of 'genius' is the older meaning:

:tongue:
Kim
Indeed.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Wow Jesus with a mullet.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A new painting with the story of brother & sister dogs told in a short film:

phpBB [video]

Return to “Media”