Jim Carrey does a no-self bit

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
jkarlins

Re: Jim Carrey does a no-self bit

Post by jkarlins »

I'm not going to take a side exactly, on whether Carrey is saying anything that interesting or not, but I do think it's kind of adorable how excited Buddhists get when a celebrity or public figure says something remotely Buddhist-y. We don't really have a lot of representatives in the public eye at this point.

The other thing- if you listen to what he's saying (in the interview where he's spinning in circles, and the speech at the event) the deep stuff is actually what comedians have been saying for a long time, just with a little bit of overt spirituality thrown in. The hollowness of celebrity culture, the smallness of people in the universe or world, making fun of the significance of cultural practices...

Jake
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Oh, sure we do.

Now, not all of those are full-fledged Buddhists, but many are. Or were (Cohen, for instance was ordained in the Rinzai tradition.)

"In 1996, Cohen was ordained as a Rinzai Zen Buddhist monk and took the Dharma name Jikan, meaning "silence". He served as personal assistant to Kyozan Joshu Sasaki Roshi. ... Although there was a public impression that Cohen would not resume recording or publishing, he returned to Los Angeles in May 1999." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Cohen

List from Dhammawiki. .

https://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title= ... _Buddhists

Celebrity Buddhists, such as those in television, film, the arts, CEOs, music, and sports. Also included are politicians from non-Buddhist lands (otherwise the list would be too long if it included all politicians from Buddhist lands too or celebrities who are only known in Buddhist lands).
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Nigerian-English actor
Jennifer Aniston, American actress, director
Roberto Baggio, soccer (football) star for Italy
Mario Balotelli, soccer (football) star for Italy
Fabien Barthez, soccer (football) star for France
Orlando Bloom, English actor
Kate Bosworth, American actress
David Bowie, musician, writer, actor
Abby Brammell, American television and stage actress
Jeff Bridges, American actor
Jackie Chan, actor
Tisca Chopra, Indian actress
John Cleese, actor, writer
Leonard Cohen, Canadian singer/songwriter/poet
Combat Jack, hip hop music attorney and executive
Penelope Cruz, Spanish actress and model
Manuel De Peppe, Italian actor, musician, songwriter, producer
Patrick Duffy, actor
George Dvorsky, Transhumanist, futurist
William Ford, Jr., Executive Director of the Board at Ford Motor Co.
Boy George, British singer-songwriter
Richard Gere, American actor
Allen Ginsberg, poet
Philip Glass, composer
Herbie Hancock, musician
Dan Harris, American journalist, anchorman Nightline news show
Goldie Hawn, actress
Hermann Hesse, Noble Prize winning author
bell hooks, author
Kate Hudson, actress
Michael Imperioli, American actor
Phil Jackson, Basketball coach of the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers
Charles R. Johnson, Writer, academic, artist, philosopher, Black American literature scholar
Angelina Jolie, American actress, humanist activist, Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency
Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Inc.
Jack Kerouac, author, poet, painter
Miranda Kerr, Australian supermodel, one of Victoria's Secret Angels
K.D. Lang, Canadian singer
Jet Li, Chinese martial artist, Hollywood actor
Jennifer Lopez, actress, singer
Courtney Love, American singer-songwriter
George Lucas, American filmmaker, director of Star Wars
Naima Mora, fashion model
Alanis Morissette, Canadian singer-songwriter
Maya Soetoro-Ng, university professor, sister of U.S. president (Barack Obama)
Ellison Onizuka, U.S. Air Force colonel, NASA astronaut
Kenneth Pai, Chinese-American writer
Sarah Jessica Parker, actress, producer
Victor Pelevin, novelist
Brad Pitt, actor
Ron Reagan, talk show host, son of former U.S. president (Ronald Reagan)
Keanu Reeves, American actor
Alex Rodriguez, American baseball player
Mehmet Scholl, soccer (football) star for Germany
Steven Seagal, American actor and aikido expert
Wayne Shorter, American jazz saxophonist and composer
Russell Simmons, Entertainment and Fashion Mogul
Sting, English singer-songwriter, lead vocalist of The Police
Oliver Stone, film director
Sharon Stone, American actress, producer, and former fashion model
George Takei, American actor, "Sulu" on Star Trek
Uma Thurman, American actress
Thuy Trang (1973-2001), Vietnamese American Actress
Tina Turner, American singer-songwriter
Alice Walker, author (Color Purple and others)
Marcia Wallace, American actress
Naomi Watts, British-Australian actress
Dennis Weaver, actor
Ming-Na Wen, Chinese American Actress
David Woodard, American businessman
Tiger Woods American Golfer
Elaine Wynn, Wynn Resorts, charities
Steve Wynn, CEO of Wynn Resorts Limited, Las Vegas
Adam Yauch, American musician, director, producer, Beastie
Michelle Yeoh, Malaysian actress
Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook CEO, philantropist
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Who says Zuckerberg is a Buddhist?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Well his wife is, and here is this:

I say he's in.

(Aoout the above)

"I had the opportunity to visit Wild Goose Pagoda in Xi'an and offer a prayer for peace and health for the world and for my family. Priscilla is Buddhist and asked me to offer a prayer from her as well.

Buddhism is an amazing religion and philosophy, and I have been learning more about it over time. I hope to continue understanding the faith more deeply."

Picture and quote from Lion's roar site: . . it two years ago.

https://www.lionsroar.com/mark-zuckerbe ... -religion/

Gosh he doesn't say much though.

He went and visited with the Pope, and said this about him:

“We told him how much we admire his message of mercy and tenderness, and how he’s found new ways to communicate with people of every faith around the world,” Zuckerberg posted. “It was a meeting we’ll never forget. You can feel his warmth and kindness, and how deeply he cares about helping people.”

But -- from looking, he hasn't said what religion he is, only that religion is important.

Interestngly, Dogen says that if one is Buddhist one should not say that one is. Although of course -- that is only one thing he said. :meditate:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Well, now that I think about it, I seem to recall some interview where he was talking about the Facebook before he was born or something like that.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

not sure about that list but

Penelope Cruz! kye ma
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

JKarlins.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Jkarlins why are you not sure about everything.

It's tiresome.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I don't think Jim Carrey is Buddhist. He's talking about no-self, but Buddhists don't own the market on that.

I get the sense that he's some sort of Hindu-esque tradition - I think he's been associated with Maharishi's tradition.

There's this great part of Cannery Row by John Steinbeck -
In the evening just at dusk, a curious thing happened on Cannery Row. It happened in the time between sunset and the lighting of the street lights. There is a small quiet gray period then. Down the hill, past the Palace Flophouse, down the chicken walk and through the vacant lot came an old Chinaman. He wore an ancient flat straw hat, blue jeans, both coat and trousers, and heavy shoes of which one sole was loose so that it slapped the ground when he walked. In his hand he carried a covered wicker basket. His face was lean and brown, even the whites were brown and deep set so that they looked out of holes. He came by just at dusk and crossed the street and went through the opening between Western Biological and the Hediondo Cannery. Then he crossed the little beach and disappeared among the piles and steel posts which support the piers. No one saw him again until dawn.
But in the dawn, during that time when the street light has been turned off and the daylight has not come, the old Chinaman crept out from among the piles, crossed the beach and the street. He went up the hill to the second street, went through a gate in a high board fence and was not seen again until evening. People, sleeping, heard his flapping shoe go by and they awakened for a moment. It had been happening for years but no one ever got used to him. Some people thought he was God and very old people thought he was Death and children thought he was a very funny old Chinaman, as children always think anything old and strange is funny. But the children did not taunt him or shout at him as they should for he carried a little cloud of fear about with him.
Only one brave and beautiful boy of ten named Andy from Salinas ever crossed the old Chinaman. Andy was visiting in Monterey and he saw the old man and knew he must shout at him if only to keep his self-respect, but even Andy, brave as he was, felt the little cloud of fear. Andy watched him go by evening after evening while his duty and his terror wrestled. And then one evening Andy braced himself and marched behind the old man singing in a shrill falsetto, “Ching-Chong Chinaman sitting on a rail – ‘Long came a white man an’ chopped off his tail.”
The old man stopped and turned. Andy stopped. The deep-brown eyes looked at Andy and the thin corded lips moved. What happened then Andy was never able either to explain or to forget. For the eyes spread out until there was no Chinaman. And then it was one eye – one huge brown eye as big as a church door. Andy looked through the shiny transparent brown door and through it he saw a lonely countryside, flat for miles but ending against a row of fantastic mountains shaped like crows’ and dogs’ heads and tents and mushrooms. There was low coarse grass on the plain and here and there a little mound. And a small animal like a woodchuck sat on each mound. And the loneliness – the desolate cold aloneness of the landscape made Andy whimper because there wasn’t anybody at all in the world and he was left. Andy shut his eyes so he wouldn’t have to see it any more and when he opened them he was in Cannery Row and the old Chinaman was jus flap-flapping between Western Biological and the Hediondo Cannery. Andy was the only boy who ever did that and he never did it again.
I like to think of the No-Self bit as one of these sorts of moments. Like a master's slap across the face. Like one of Kusama's performances or installations that for a moment twist us out of our vain samsaric pursuits and we see the boundless, unconditioned, no-self...

Whether Carrey pulled it off, its interesting that he tried it on the public stage. I think other celebrities, like Shia Leboef (his bad performance art) and Joaqin Phoenix (I'm Still Here) have taken a stab at the bit. Its a sort of "Aristocrats" thing - everyone has their own version of it. Personally, I love to see the different takes.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

:thumbsup:

:namaste:

:buddha1:

Thank you

:namaste:

:reading:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Oh, and this...
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

joy&peace wrote:Jkarlins why are you not sure about everything.

It's tiresome.
you're hilarious, where did the joy and peace and Thich Nhat Hanh syrupy stuff go?
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's TM. He was into Eckhart for a while too, I think, but seems to be TM as I recall. He gave a talk at Maharishi university pretty recently, although that's not definitive proof.

I'm still a fan, more or less. And he's in good company with David Lynch!

Jake
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

(In reply to Queequeg)

So great.

Too true.

:twothumbsup:

Green tea or coffee, Queequeg?

Or neither. Neither is okay too.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

I met and joked with Jim on one of his first nights as a comedian in toronto.
the guy is a ball of presence and light bulbs.
i made him laugh...he fell to the floor in a typical jim laughing fit. i looked at the two girls beside him in evening gowns...they looked at me and we both just knew we watching something special...energy just poured from his every pore...

don't know about his girlfriend's death...hopefully it's just a ploy to ruin him by a someone jealous and angry.
as for the interviews...he prolly is on some kick from stuff being said around him in beverly hills.
it all seemed very mocking...he goes the distance with stuff.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Well it seems very genuine -- as Ayu said, authentic.

It also seems to me that it will be seen after long time. .

That is what will tell.

It seems most likely that he is clean. Seems very unlikely that he is not.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Just watched Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond - Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton, which I found very interesting. I think it sheds a lot of light on what's going on with him and is definitely related to the topic of this thread.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

BTW, the wrongful death case against Carrey was just dismissed.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

I have horrible taste in the sorts of Jim Carrey movies I love.

That being said, I felt like Jim Carrey and the interviewer starter off on cordial grounds. Jim Carrey was being himself, thats basically how he is all the time.

But when I see how the interviewer reacts to him being even in the slightest bit eccentric, I can see why I think he might have been annoyed toward the end. Particularly when she asked him "So we're not here?". It seemed to me like she thought that maybe he might have been on drugs or something, but maybe that was just my reading of her reaction. She certainly wasn't doing him any favours as an interview with her reactions to what he wanted to talk about.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)

Return to “Media”