Japanese Buddhist Funeral Robot?

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
climb-up

Japanese Buddhist Funeral Robot?

Post by climb-up »

I like the religionforbreakfast youtube channel.
This came up today, what do y'all think?
phpBB [video]

These were my initial thoughts.
I think there is definite potential, although I think blessings or other rituals would be an easier sell (or entry point?) than funerals.
I think what would be necessary would be a trusted (charismatic!) religious authority who could explain a convincing theological reason for this to work. This would give some of the religious families (as opposed to secular families who are comforted by tradition) the confidence to use. Once it was in some type of use, if it successfully met emotional and practical needs (not counseling, but if the ritual was satisfactory emotionally) it could totally take off. There are definitely uses of mechanical processes in magical traditions, animism and Tibetan Buddhism. Maybe it could involve the robot being empowered, or being created at a certain astrological time.
If my body doesn't dissolve into rainbow light at the end of my life then I expect my consciousness to be on Padmasambhava's copper-colored mountain, ...so my body will be fine with whatever.
Interestingly,. I recently watched a talk that mentioned medieval automata that gave blessings, in relationship to a discussion of animism and pre-cartesian-split thinking.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
climb-up

Re: Japanese Buddhist Funeral Robot?

Post by climb-up »

Right after I watched that I logged onto facebook and saw an article that sex robots with personality apps could potentially be hacked to kill their users. :o
Not 100% sure about the connection, but I don't really see robot articles very often (not a particular interest) so perhaps it relevant! :shrug:
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Great post.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

My first thought was -- Japanese Funeral Books.

Great post -- refreshing and sweet.

Japan is one of the coolest cultures.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

joy&peace wrote:
Japan is one of the coolest cultures.
I love videos I've seen of robotics used to comfort the elderly.
I did a search to find a great video of a super-cute couple with a robotic baby that keeps them company, but instead found this video of robotic baby seals used to comfort elderly tsunami victims. Very cool! :heart:

phpBB [video]
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

That is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2ZUn9qtG8ow

Here is one -- one can see a little more of the interaction in this video.

PARO, therapy seal.

:buddha1:

Return to “Media”