Interview with Malcolm on Wisdom Podcast

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
passel

Re: Interview with Malcolm on Wisdom Podcast

Post by passel »

There was one topic noted early in the interview, but never returned to- if I’m remembering/ understanding correctly, Malcolm you said something like “strictly speaking, kyerim and dzogrim aren’t dzogchen, but there may be other good reasons to practice them” - any ideas where this might have been going?
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
Jyotish

Post by Jyotish »

@Malcolm

1) what was the critique of 84000 translation, if it's possible to mention?

2) you were saying it's more important to study Sanskrit than Tibetan for being a scholarly teacher? Did I misinterpret the point? At least it seems you were saying it's important to know both languages in your understanding?
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

The Cicada wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:49 amHowever, I would like to make it known that, until now, I've always read his posts in mental voice that was a variation of the voice of John Rhys-Davies.
For me, he's always sounded like the Simpsons Comic Book Guy.

"Worst post ever"

:-)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jyotish wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:14 pm @Malcolm

1) what was the critique of 84000 translation, if it's possible to mention?

2) you were saying it's more important to study Sanskrit than Tibetan for being a scholarly teacher? Did I misinterpret the point? At least it seems you were saying it's important to know both languages in your understanding?
As for the first, I don't recall making a specific critique. As for the second, I think what I was saying is that Sapan stated it was important to know Sanskrit so one could understand where some Tibetan translations were a little wrong. I was making the point that it is important for modern teachers to know Tibetan for the same reason.
CapNCrunch

Post by CapNCrunch »

Industrial music? Didn't see that one coming. :smile:

Awesome interview, and I too concur that M could do this weekly or probably bi-weekly in perpetuity and it wouldn't get old for me. Not from a polymath who's straight up forgotten more than I'll ever lean about so many topics I find fascinating & utterly compelling.
“I say good-bye to hope, but I also say goodbye to hope's disappointment.”

David Levithan
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Lol I imagine said polymath would deny having forgotten anything.

:lol:
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:06 pm Lol I imagine said polymath would deny having forgotten anything.
Oh, I have forgotten all kinds of things, mostly things that I don't find all that important any more.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Around 01:08:40, talking about the seeming increase and decrease of one's state through practice, which is because of the increase or decrease of obscurations. Is that pretty much what is said in Pabhassara Sutta? https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

thanks for posting this...

two things stand out for me as meaningful translations.

samadhi... holding steady

rigpa... vidya or knowledge of the base

most of this is beyond me, except for this. I"m not a scholar.

linda
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

Return to “Media”