Upcoming TV Show with Buddhist Main Character

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Upcoming TV Show with Buddhist Main Character

Post by Queequeg »

Daniel Dae Kim to play a former monk turned LA police detective.
https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/upcom ... prime-time

:coffee:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Malcolm

Re: Upcoming TV Show with Buddhist Main Character

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:30 pm Daniel Dae Kim to play a former monk turned LA police detective.

All I can say is that they better get the damn robes right.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:52 pm
Queequeg wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:30 pm Daniel Dae Kim to play a former monk turned LA police detective.

Has that been an issue in shows/movies? I can see that being annoying and disruptive to the viewing experience. Almost as bad as a terrible actor destroying any chance of suspending disbelief. ie. Keanu Reeves in Dangerous Liaisons and Sophia Coppola in Godfather III. :rolling:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

The show's concept reminded me of a series of detective novels I enjoyed years ago. A bit of digging found them for me. (I :heart: love :heart: the internet!)
Howard Fast wrote mysteries as E.V. Cunningham, including this series of seven starring Masao Masuto, a nisei detective with the Beverly Hills, California, Police Department... devotee of rose cultivation and Zen meditation.
Fast lived six years in California, practiced Zen meditation, and wrote a small book about it, The Art of Zen Meditation, published in 1977, the same year as The Case of the One-Penny Orange, below.
Visit http://www.trussel.com/hf/masuto.htm for links to his Zen book as well as the detective stories.

Kim
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 pm
Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Has that been an issue in shows/movies?
Oh, for sure.
ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining »

I really hope it's better than the "Buddhist" main character from Ironfist. That show gave me an aneurysm.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 pm Almost as bad as a terrible actor destroying any chance of suspending disbelief. ie. Keanu Reeves in Dangerous Liaisons and Sophia Coppola in Godfather III. :rolling:
What about Keanu Reeves in Little Buddha?
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Dragon ball Z
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Dharma Flower wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:25 am
Queequeg wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 pm Almost as bad as a terrible actor destroying any chance of suspending disbelief. ie. Keanu Reeves in Dangerous Liaisons and Sophia Coppola in Godfather III. :rolling:
What about Keanu Reeves in Little Buddha?
Keanu Reeves is a *unique* actor in that he is generally terrible except when he gets to play Ted or a surfing FBI agent.

Little Buddha was perfect for him because he didn't have many lines and could just be his pretty self while he mimed his way through the Buddha's night of enlightenment.

IRL, he seems like a genuinely decent dude.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

ItsRaining wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:57 pm I really hope it's better than the "Buddhist" main character from Ironfist. That show gave me an aneurysm.
This is the truth.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Media”