Terrifying Development in AI/Fake News

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Jesse

Terrifying Development in AI/Fake News

Post by Jesse »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/ ... .dvlAev6Qp

The scariest thing I've ever read. After seeing how bad it already is with the tools available, I can only imagine where it will go from here. It's already entirely possible that every single source of information on the internet is compromised in some way, if not an outright fabrication.

This destroys the entire meaning of fact, and fiction. True, False, It makes Fact Checking Irrelevant and Entirely pointless.

For Example, Say you could generate a real to life video of a president making an hour-long speech with perfect accuracy. Completly generate every word he said, then use an army of AI NL Bots to create web articles, news articles, blogs, and now even Vlogs supporting that this event happened in real life.

How could anyone know the difference between that and something that really happened?

There would no longer be any way to tell because every source of information becomes suspect.
“Alarmism can be good — you should be alarmist about this stuff,” Ovadya said one January afternoon before calmly outlining a deeply unsettling projection about the next two decades of fake news, artificial intelligence–assisted misinformation campaigns, and propaganda. “We are so screwed it's beyond what most of us can imagine,” he said. “We were utterly screwed a year and a half ago and we're even more screwed now. And depending how far you look into the future it just gets worse.”

That future, according to Ovadya, will arrive with a slew of slick, easy-to-use, and eventually seamless technological tools for manipulating perception and falsifying reality, for which terms have already been coined — “reality apathy,” “automated laser phishing,” and "human puppets."
From the Original Article I linked.

Notice how accurate the lipcyncing in the video is. Now note how close up to his face they are showing it. After zooming out to a normal distance, it becomes entirely impossible to tell there is any lip syncing. (In some cases, it's impossible to tell even with that amount of zooming.)
Recently, Elon Musk and 116 other technology leaders sent a petition to the United Nations calling for new regulations on how such AI weapons are developed. The group stated that the introduction of autonomous technology would be tantamount to a “third revolution in warfare,” following the development of gunpowder and nuclear weapons.

An AI arms race doesn’t necessarily have to be a winner-takes-all scenario, though. Putin noted that Russia did not want to see any one country “monopolize” the field, and said instead: “If we become leaders in this area, we will share this know-how with entire world, the same way we share our nuclear technologies today.”

--from https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/4/16251 ... -the-world
How do I know it's already as bad as claimed? For one, I understand the technology fundementally, and essentially where it's at. I also am, and now maybe was working on an application exactly along these lines. These kinds of applications are already in major use. Companies use them as part of their advertising strategies online. They utilize networks of bots (Automated Twitter, Reddit, Forum, News Site Comments and Facebook Accounts), that all coordinate with eachother, thumbing up eachothers posts, linking to eachother, and generating branding content for their users. Most of this tech is easier to implement than one would imagine, there are frameworks that do the heavy lifting, and in some cases there are external websites (Known as REST api services) which make it even easier, you just pass them some data, they do ALL the work, and pass you back the useful data organized in a nice format like json, or csv, etc.)

Some links if you don't know some of the terminologies here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural-l ... processing
http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-is-ai ... elligence/
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
justsit

Re: Terrifying Development in AI/Fake News

Post by justsit »

Return to “Media”